More than 15,000 scientists from 184 countries issue 'warning to humanity'

Status
Not open for further replies.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
I too have watched the little Koalas desperation. The videos I didn't post because it breaks the heart of any normal human being. I've also read on what those fires do to the entire ecology system and wildlife. It's terrible. Also on humans...their lungs...respiratory systems.

Yes the USA, Canada (and I'm sure other countries) have sent firefighter's crews to help our Australian brothers and sisters. Many will spend the Christmas holidays in Australia fighting the many many fires. The temperatures in some areas (heat waves) this week...mid 40° Celsius!

This year alone is unprecedented (Google it).
In New Zealand yesterday a volcano island erupted. Tourists were trapped and this is still in development but dozens are feared dead.

Us we are not scientists and are not leaders, we are just audiophiles with modest jobs.
There's a balance between natural disasters and man-made help.
It's up to the best scientists of our planet to educate us on the right directions for our survival.

This world I don't think it's going to end up under a toxic cloud. Before it happens someone would take control of the world communication system...that'll be the day.
Humans are simply too intelligent to let us sink down the kitchen sink.

We need more audiophiles who stay homes, who drive less (do their grocery shopping online and delivered by electric car drivers), switching to solar and wind and wave energies, recycling salted ocean waters for drinking and irrigation, engineers with brains (Elon Musk) who work for the planet's survival of the next hundred years @ the service of a healthy humanity.

I think we can also invent clouds of rain to extinguish uncontrollable fires, clouds of cold snow to cool off the hottest and driest regions, and start the transportation of icebergs instead of the transportation of drugs.

We need the very best engineers to protect us of destroying ourselves. ...An army of them, working in tandem with the best and smartest global climate scientists.
It's a full time job for these people, good paying jobs, most important jobs, and that includes forest's management, reforestation, infrastructures, planification, administrators and architects working in teams, people who can do the job.

Health is the most important commodity because without it how can you make people working for a better world? If people die younger, if they eat junk food, if they die of cancer and air and water contamination, if they get obese of not moving, of just sitting watching TV, playing games, chatting online, flying on big planes, sailing on big cruise ships, ...all this is not cooling off things much around.

Planet's management is number one goal after jobs (strong economy)...jobs that provide families with clean air water and food, that pays those bills; autonomized electric transportation, climatized and sanitized air and privatised communication.

We just need to get serious about it.
I’m with you Bob, I’m not a doomsdayer and I believe in people ultimately. The way people come together to help others in need is an example of why this challenge could actually just bring us all together in the end.

The survival instinct just hasn’t kicked in for many quite yet because the immediate and the real aren’t at their doorstep. But every year it’s getting more telling and more obvious. It’s not just our suffering, it’s everything that lives on this planet that ultimately need and deserve (and hopefully get) a future in this.

I also believe the tide is actually turning and many understand the need to now put the arguments behind us and to get together as a species and try and save ourselves and this extraordinary planet that we are so very lucky to live on.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Religion is the biggest problem in the world today. Not climate change.

Debatable.

But not on this forum, according to its rules.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Reactions: zerostargeneral

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Religion is the biggest problem in the world today. Not climate change.

I think historically it's been a total disaster too.

But what underlies the issue? I think it's the inability to tolerate differences in belief. There are some obvious parallels with today's issues. Science has replaced religion in many people's views and now we can't agree on actual facts, we have our own leaders trying to change the definition of "fact", and using brainwashing techniques on it's own citizens.

I think religion used to be the biggest issue, now it's made-up fact vs what the massive majority of scientists actually say.

In this thread we're also conflating "How many years until we all die" vs "How many years until we reach a tipping point where certain effects will be irreversible". There is a massive difference between these two things, and the latter is supported by overwhelming scientific evidence.

djsina2

May 30, 2019

djsina2

May 30, 2019
How many 18 year olds do you know with grandchildren? The average age of someone with grandchildren is 64

So bizarre and hilarious how you relate things. Why not just say it’s people over 64 who hate the environment the most? You specifically said it’s grandmas and grandpas. This is like your long rant on how the heaviest record cleaning machine cleans the best.

Reactions: Joe P

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
I think historically it's been a total disaster too.

But what underlies the issue? I think it's the inability to tolerate differences in belief. There are some obvious parallels with today's issues. Science has replaced religion in many people's views and now we can't agree on actual facts, we have our own leaders trying to change the definition of "fact", and using brainwashing techniques on it's own citizens.

I think religion used to be the biggest issue, now it's made-up fact vs what the massive majority of scientists actually say.

In this thread we're also conflating "How many years until we all die" vs "How many years until we reach a tipping point where certain effects will be irreversible". There is a massive difference between these two things, and the latter is supported by overwhelming scientific evidence.
I do believe we need to develop our moral compass to improve ourselves and put ourselves on a positive track and align with who we really are and so philosophy, spirituality and religion when aspected positively can all play a part in all of this. Anything that attributes and adds meaning to life also creates values that can help to preserve life.

Reactions: Al M.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Why would you sit and watch that?

It's on the news, part of the news. It makes us reflect and see what we can do to improve the situation. The best way to fight say violence is to be aware of it and see it, it's the same with fires destroying homes, human lives, forests, natural wildlife habitats, wildlife.
This is an exceptional disater for Australians, this year all the fires (the sheer amount of hectares burned) and the super hot weather* and heat wave winds and the number of animals (Koalas) extinguished by the fires. They are now an endangered species. Seeing is believing.

You watch the news sometimes and things come up that you didn't ask for, but they do come up and you feel heartbroken for those lovely Koalas, nicest animals with adorable emotional faces.
When they are happy you are happy too, and when they are suffering you suffer with them.

* The month of November didn't see that for forty years, no rain practically.

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
If anyone is nervous about global warming it should be the Dutch, as much of the country already is below sea level. They seem more excited by the possibility of higher average temperatures, than they seem concerned about going underwater.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
If anyone is nervous about global warming it should be the Dutch, as much of the country already is below sea level. They seem more excited by the possibility of higher average temperatures, than they seem concerned about going underwater.

Higher average temperatures means melting glaciers, rising waters and the Dutch going underwater ... Just physics, no politics in any language!

Joe P

May 11, 2019
Owning a Prius isn't enough.
What vehicle do you drive?
What are you and your family doing to reduce your carbon footprints?
Have you reached out to the people that make the loudest noise about reducing carbon footprints, flying around the world in private their jets?

Last edited:

djsina2

May 30, 2019

Qatar has lower avg elevation than the Netherlands and is the 14th biggest producer of crude oil in 2019.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Am I writing in Portuguese?!?!

NO POLITICS means NO POLITICS!!!
While I figure there are plenty here with far better Portuguese than I but I believe what you just needed to say Ron was sem política... not sure it will help tho. Best of luck with that in any língua!

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
While I figure there are plenty here with far better Portuguese than I but I believe what you just needed to say Ron was sem política... not sure it will help tho. Best of luck with that in any língua!

Geen politiek and geen religie!

(I'm sure Ron will recognize that;))

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing