Miles Davis Kind of Blue meets Analogue Productions' UHQR

audioguy1958

Feb 8, 2015
Anyone already ordered the new UHQR reissue of 'Kind of Blue'? All I have are digital copies, I'd like to get a straight analog copy before its impossible to obtain.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Will be interesting to hear what people think of it. Meanwhile, which are your favorite digital copies?

audioguy1958

Feb 8, 2015
I have the 2004 SACD, and a digital release on LP (I still don't understand what the point of digital on vinyl is). The SACD is okay, but neither of them really have the detail and air I would like. I'm keeping my hopes up for the UHQR release from Acoustic Sounds. I ordered it today.

Reactions: jespera

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I have the 2004 SACD, and a digital release on LP (I still don't understand what the point of digital on vinyl is). The SACD is okay, but neither of them really have the detail and air I would like. I'm keeping my hopes up for the UHQR release from Acoustic Sounds. I ordered it today.

These tapes are now over 60 years old. Do you think that the old tapes can have more detail and air than previous releases?

audioguy1958

Feb 8, 2015
These tapes are now over 60 years old. Do you think that the old tapes can have more detail and air than previous releases?

Michael Fremer says that these LP's are stamped from Bernie Grundbergs earlier work: (I hope its okay to quote this)
"This reissue is from Bernie Grundman's 1995 mastering in which Sony send him the 3 track original tape, which was 20 years "fresher". Bernie cut directly from the 3 track tape. No mix down."

Analogue Productions Launches 25,000 Copy UHQR Miles Davis Kind of Blue | Analog Planet

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Thanks for the post. I ordered a copy. My LP just never really sounded great. OK, but not great. I expect the UHQR will be at least one of the best pressings available. I’m sure it’ll be better than what I have, and of course it is music that deserves to be presented in the best possible light.

I can’t wait to hear which of the Alsyvox Botticelli, the Bayz Courante 2.0, or the Diesis Roma connects me most with the music. I’m leaning towards the Diesis on this one.

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
No matter how much you enjoy listening to this landmark album and as much as you think you know about Miles and his music, you should consider watching the excellent PBS documentary on Miles that aired in February 2020. It reveals ample material I had not previously known or appreciated. Very informative and educational. Perhaps most under-appreciated was the exceptional talent he always surrounded himself with as many players have become legends in their own right. The history of modern jazz is inextricably linked to Miles and the documentary unfolds that lineage beautifully as well as highlighting the more abusive and difficult aspects of his personal life in an insightful way.

Last edited:

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
This new release is using the metalwork that was used for the Classic records 33 release from 1995. I own this and it sounds excellent. So, the mastering is not new but it will now be pressed on a different vinyl formulation.

There are many AAA pressings of Kind of Blue that are available and won't cost you anywhere as much as the UHQR.

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
Miles’ autobiography is a compelling read too. His varied uses of the word MFer is amazing. He lays it all in print, the great, good, bad and ugly. It is all there. As for Kind of Blue, I have three copies, the Classic Records LP, the Sony gold CD in the long box and the 24/192 file. The only one I play is the 24/192 file. Sounds superb. Air, tone, dynamics, it is all there.

Reactions: jeff1225
Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
I have a safety master and it´s definitely better than any of the LP versions I´ve got...digital is totally uninteresting

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
No matter how much you enjoy listening this landmark album and as much as you think you know about Miles and his music, you should consider watching the excellent PBS documentary on Miles that aired in February 2020. It reveals ample material I had not previously known or appreciated. Very informative and educational. Perhaps most under-appreciated was the exceptional talent he always surrounded himself with as many players have become legends in their own right. The history of modern jazz is inextricably linked to Miles and the documentary unfolds that lineage beautifully as well as highlighting the more abusive and difficult aspects of his personal life in an insightful way.

Yes, excellent documentary, riveting too.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Michael Fremer says that these LP's are stamped from Bernie Grundbergs earlier work: (I hope its okay to quote this)
"This reissue is from Bernie Grundman's 1995 mastering in which Sony send him the 3 track original tape, which was 20 years "fresher". Bernie cut directly from the 3 track tape. No mix down."

Analogue Productions Launches 25,000 Copy UHQR Miles Davis Kind of Blue | Analog Planet
Thanks. A naive question, how do engineers cut directly from 3 track to 2 channel without mixing?

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Thanks. A naive question, how do engineers cut directly from 3 track to 2 channel without mixing?

The mixing is done on the fly. The comment "no mix down" means that there wasn't an intermediate (2 track) tape made. The master for vinyl production was made at the same time the 3 channels were mixed to 2.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
The mixing is done on the fly. The comment "no mix down" means that there wasn't an intermediate (2 track) tape made. The metalwork was made at the same time the 3 channels were mixed to 2.
Thanks. A pity there was no one there to make a direct DXD recording of the 2 channel ... :cool:

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
I told myself I did not need this. I have the classic lp 33/45.

I am weak and have preordered, just because you never know, maybe the vinyl formulation is quieter and that’s worth it.

Last edited:
Reactions: jespera and Bobvin

audioguy1958

Feb 8, 2015
Miles’ autobiography is a compelling read too. His varied uses of the word MFer is amazing. He lays it all in print, the great, good, bad and ugly. It is all there. As for Kind of Blue, I have three copies, the Classic Records LP, the Sony gold CD in the long box and the 24/192 file. The only one I play is the 24/192 file. Sounds superb. Air, tone, dynamics, it is all there.

Miles Davis suffered a lot from police harassment and was even brutally beaten once by a cop in New York. Amazing he endured that and was still one of the greatest composers and musicians of the 20th century.

Reactions: jeff1225 and Al M.

Chop

Aug 9, 2020
England
I have a stock 70's copy which was OK. I listened to a few other friends copies, then I chanced upon and bought the Nimbus Supercut limited edition which was released in the early 80's. It was sooooo much better than anything else I heard that I have never had any desire to find anything more recent!

Nemal1

Dec 9, 2018
I was ordering a copy for $99 about £73 which seemed reasonable. After the $50 postage, $20 tax then import duty and vat in the Uk, it would end up costing me about £180. I’ll see how much the Uk retailers have it up for, but will pass at that price

Reactions: marslo

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing