Miles Davis Kind of Blue meets Analogue Productions' UHQR

Cableman

Dec 27, 2013
I was ordering a copy for $99 about £73 which seemed reasonable. After the $50 postage, $20 tax then import duty and vat in the Uk, it would end up costing me about £180. I’ll see how much the Uk retailers have it up for, but will pass at that price
Got mine today. Sadly some huge whooshing noise on a couple of tracks. Already asking for a replacement.

audioquest4life

Sep 23, 2020
Got mine today. Sadly some huge whooshing noise on a couple of tracks. Already asking for a replacement.
Hmmm, that is not good.

amadeus

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2018
I had mine copy of the UHQR Kind of Blue last week and after cleaning it on my record Cleaning machine i have listened to it all i can say is its super quite no noise no surface noise but the on the general sound i was disappointed a little its super clean and silence but dynamic upper midrange energy and bass response tome not strong enough of course this is my opinion after just one time listening i will surely give it one or two more chances...

Cableman

Dec 27, 2013
I had mine copy of the UHQR Kind of Blue last week and after cleaning it on my record Cleaning machine i have listened to it all i can say is its super quite no noise no surface noise but the on the general sound i was disappointed a little its super clean and silence but dynamic upper midrange energy and bass response tome not strong enough of course this is my opinion after just one time listening i will surely give it one or two more chances...
Mine is a swirling whooshing mess on two tracks. Damn!

Nemal1

Dec 9, 2018
I managed to find c brand new copy from Juno records in the UK, and after postage was £138, way below anyone else, it arrived the day after ordering.
great store but for mofi one steps they are about £20more so you need to shop around.
Giving a clean then playing, and whilst this isn’t really my kind of music, looking forward to giving it a listen

Cableman

Dec 27, 2013
I managed to find c brand new copy from Juno records in the UK, and after postage was £138, way below anyone else, it arrived the day after ordering.
great store but for mofi one steps they are about £20more so you need to shop around.
Giving a clean then playing, and whilst this isn’t really my kind of music, looking forward to giving it a listen
Oh nice. Keen to hear your thoughts when you play it. Wonder if it has the same horrendous issue on two tracks

djsina2

May 30, 2019
Oh nice. Keen to hear your thoughts when you play it. Wonder if it has the same horrendous issue on two tracks
I’ve had this sitting for months unplayed. Popped it on last night and have the whooshing sound too. Also seem to have some distortion in spots.

Cableman

Dec 27, 2013
I’ve had this sitting for months unplayed. Popped it on last night and have the whooshing sound too. Also seem to have some distortion in spots.
Ah!!! Don’t suppose you could post what your experiencing and in what tracks.

djsina2

May 30, 2019
Ah!!! Don’t suppose you could post what your experiencing and in what tracks.
I’ll have to go back and listen again today. I’m not really familiar with this album. Only bought it to experience “state of the art” vinyl but honestly I have cheap reissues of non-audiophile music that is quieter.

Reactions: Cableman

Nemal1

Dec 9, 2018
not played it yet, but heard earlier quality issues etc which were later resolved. Noticed my copy is 23,300+ out of 25,000 so this may have been sorted out by now, hope so anyway!

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
i've compared my original 6 eye, with the UHQR, and the Classic 4 disc 45. this was a month ago. it was too close to call between the UHQR and Classic 45. promised myself i would return to the question again. the original 6 eye is different and has it's attributes. probably the Classic 45 would still be the one i would reach for when i need my KOB fix.

deardorff8x10

May 27, 2022
Anyone already ordered the new UHQR reissue of 'Kind of Blue'? All I have are digital copies, I'd like to get a straight analog copy before its impossible to obtain.
I love the reissue. I play back with OK system (see my sig). Somehow, the original and reissue mono records are much more dynamic than the stereo versions -- hard to say where that comes from. My Miyajima Infinity Mono might be part of it, but dynamics are much more intense in mono. The overall sound is better in the UHQR, but it is much more laid back sounding on my system.

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
I love the reissue. I play back with OK system (see my sig). Somehow, the original and reissue mono records are much more dynamic than the stereo versions -- hard to say where that comes from. My Miyajima Infinity Mono might be part of it, but dynamics are much more intense in mono. The overall sound is better in the UHQR, but it is much more laid back sounding on my system.
by any chance are you referring to louder by more dynamic?

mono records are cut only laterally and takes less space compared to three dimensionally cut stereo records. that’s why mono records can be cut louder. on the other hand a dynamic record can be perceived as laid back sounding cause general recording level is low and it only hits top levels loudest parts of the recording. by contrast a compressed record always sound loud and doesn’t contain original recording’s dynamic swings.

I don’t imply that mono versions are compressed. maybe they are I don’t know but UHQR version is not compressed, it is cut at a relatively low level and sounds very dynamic.

deardorff8x10

May 27, 2022
by any chance are you referring to louder by more dynamic?

mono records are cut only laterally and takes less space compared to three dimensionally cut stereo records. that’s why mono records can be cut louder. on the other hand a dynamic record can be perceived as laid back sounding cause general recording level is low and it only hits top levels loudest parts of the recording. by contrast a compressed record always sound loud and doesn’t contain original recording’s dynamic swings.

I don’t imply that mono versions are compressed. maybe they are I don’t know but UHQR version is not compressed, it is cut at a relatively low level and sounds very dynamic.
Could be -- I didn't match levels; just seemed like transients jumped out more -- could be due to louder pressing and/or higher cartridge output.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing