MIDWAY Official Trailer (2019) Nick Jonas, Woody Harrelson Movie HD

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
No one went for that one yet?
It had a reasonable opening weekend, better than previously predicted.
And even if the average movie reviewers were not generous, few reviewers gave it a good score rating.

Audience Score (Rotten Tomatoes - 3,550 moviegoers): 92%
? https://www.seattletimes.com/entert...e-of-pivotal-world-war-ii-naval-battle-soars/
_____

Weekend Estimates: Midway Overcomes the Odds to Come out on Top
November 10, 2019

"Midway wasn’t supposed to be a major hit, and it won’t be, but, sadly for all the other new films, it is opening in first place at the box office. In fact, its weekend estimate is $17.49 million, which is less than 10% above our prediction, but it was able to earn first place with relative ease. The film only managed mixed reviews, but it did earn an A-rating from CinemaScore. Additionally, there are holidays coming up, so it could have surprisingly long legs. The film also opened in China with $4.48 million. It’s hard to use this result as a guide for other markets, as there haven’t been enough American-centric war movies released in China to compare against."

Last edited:

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
I can't wait to see 1917. You can't blame the young for not wanting to see this movie, we've been at war in some far off place as long as they've been alive. They don't understand a great and finite conflict like WW2.

Reactions: Steve Williams

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
I'll probably watch it eventually. My father was a dive bomber in WWII, got the Navy Cross in the battle of the Coral Sea, along with PTSD (which wasn't much acknowledged in those days).

The planes were (spit and chicken wire) as I was told by another WWII vet, since my father never talked about it except with those who went through it. A lot died just taking off and landing, much less from battle, it was very low tech crap shoot by today's standards.

It looks like the standard jingoistic party line history, though, from the previews. The real history is much more insidious and not so patriotic, but it's probably mostly a popcorn war movie, anyway.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
I'll probably watch it eventually. My father was a dive bomber in WWII, got the Navy Cross in the battle of the Coral Sea, along with PTSD (which wasn't much acknowledged in those days).

The planes were (spit and chicken wire) as I was told by another WWII vet, since my father never talked about it except with those who went through it. A lot died just taking off and landing, much less from battle, it was very low tech crap shoot by today's standards.

It looks like the standard jingoistic party line history, though, from the previews. The real history is much more insidious and not so patriotic, but it's probably mostly a popcorn war movie, anyway.

You'll have a difficult time making an argument that the battle of Midway was not great patriotic victory for the USA. For example, the few American men captured by the Japanese were executed. The Japanese that were captured were treated by medics, transferred to a prisoner of war camp in the USA and returned to their families after the war.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Public Service Announcement: One of Jeffrey T’s other hobbies is American and European history. He is extremely well-read and researched and knowledgeable on these topics.

I won’t even discuss pre-World War II history with Jeff. I just listen to what he has to say.

Reactions: Steve Williams

jackelsson

Dec 1, 2013
.de
Today I have been to our local cinema to see „Midway“. I found it to be a highly entertaining piece of popcorn cinema, albeit with this extreme sense of patriotism that tends to feel ever so slightly over the top for non-Americans.

The movie has amazing air battle scenes, the most amazing I’ve seen in a movie so far (admittedly I haven’t managed to see Dunkirk yet). It’s just incredible what is possible with CGI today. A Star Wars style space battle feels much less amazing to me than this feeling of presence in a „real world“ air battle that is conveyed here.

Story wise I would call it a typical Roland Emmerich, just with the story this time not being based on aliens or natural disasters but instead on a WW2 narrative.

Not knowing much about the real battle of Midway I did a little superficial „Wikipedia-research“ upfront and based on this it seemed to me that the movie compressed the chain of events of the actual battle day quite a bit to also squeeze in all the events that happened before and which led to that day. I mean, even the Doolittle raid on Tokyo was integrated as a sub-story.

But as I said, I’m really not that knowledgeable in regard to that battle and maybe this compression is really okay after all.

All in all this was a highly entertaining cinema visit and I can wholehaeartly recommend the film to everybody who likes Emmerich’s narrative style.

Incidentally, during the „research“ I stumbled across a YouTube video that tried to explain the Japanese behaviour and actions on the day of the battle from their perspective and with just the relative knowledge they had during the turn of events. I found this highly educating, although in all fairness I again cannot properly judge the accuracy.

Reactions: NorthStar

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing