Elvis

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Baz Luhrmann’s ELVIS | Official Trailer

we saw this movie this afternoon and boy was I glad we did. The last time I felt this same way about a musical biopic was Ravi Malik's portrayal of Freddy Mercury in Bohemian. Rhapsody. I have never heard of Austin Butler but the back story is interesting as I gather that it was Denzel Washington who offered up his name to Bay Luhrman years before the film was made

Suffice it to say I would be shocked if he isn't nominated for Best Actor and with a strong chance of winning. He sings all of the early songs in the movie and all I can say is he is damn good and I truly thought I was watching and listening to Elvis. Tom Hanks plays Col. Parker and he likely will be nominated for Best Supporting Actor although I couldn't stand his feeble accent throughout the film (Col Parker apparently came from Holland) I just couldn't buy into his portrayal of Col Parker

The film was long at 2 hours and 40 minutes. The film however flies as it is virtually one scene in the entire movie which went at a staccato pace with no fade ins or fade outs

This is a masterful film that will have you holding on for the ride. To watch the transformation of Austin Butler into Elvis was mesmerizing,There were many snippets in the story about which I had no knowledge but it was the final scene that did it for me.....much the same as the final scene in Bohemian Rhapsody where Ravi Malik IMO won the Oscar for Best Actor. I won't divulge the final scenes in the movie but if they don't leave you with a lump in your throat...........

I see this film nominated for many Oscars but for me I believe that what I saw today could easily win him the Oscar. It was a monumental performance and BaZ Luhrman is a creative genius.

This is a must see film

Steve Williams

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I'd love to seen all the auditions with all the Elvis impersonators to get THE plum gig.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Saw Elvis last night. Good but not great. Austin Butler was fantastic. I thought they overemphasized the Col. Tom Parker angle and I really did not enjoy Tom Hanks' depiction. Probably more fun for the Elvis novice rather than a fan.

Reactions: XV-1

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Baz Luhrmann’s ELVIS | Official Trailer

we saw this movie this afternoon and boy was I glad we did. The last time I felt this same way about a musical biopic was Ravi Malik's portrayal of Freddy Mercury in Bohemian. Rhapsody. I have never heard of Austin Butler but the back story is interesting as I gather that it was Denzel Washington who offered up his name to Bay Luhrman years before the film was made

Suffice it to say I would be shocked if he isn't nominated for Best Actor and with a strong chance of winning. He sings all of the early songs in the movie and all I can say is he is damn good and I truly thought I was watching and listening to Elvis. Tom Hanks plays Col. Parker and he likely will be nominated for Best Supporting Actor although I couldn't stand his feeble accent throughout the film (Col Parker apparently came from Holland) I just couldn't buy into his portrayal of Col Parker

The film was long at 2 hours and 40 minutes. The film however flies as it is virtually one scene in the entire movie which went at a staccato pace with no fade ins or fade outs

This is a masterful film that will have you holding on for the ride. To watch the transformation of Austin Butler into Elvis was mesmerizing,There were many snippets in the story about which I had no knowledge but it was the final scene that did it for me.....much the same as the final scene in Bohemian Rhapsody where Ravi Malik IMO won the Oscar for Best Actor. I won't divulge the final scenes in the movie but if they don't leave you with a lump in your throat...........

I see this film nominated for many Oscars but for me I believe that what I saw today could easily win him the Oscar. It was a monumental performance and BaZ Luhrman is a creative genius.

This is a must see film

Agree Steve, great movie

You do realise the final scene is the real Elvis :) done very well that it was hard to tell when they cut from Austin to Elvis.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
I think Baz is David Lynch Lite in some movies, but that is probably why I would see the film.

Steve Williams

Agree Steve, great movie

You do realise the final scene is the real Elvis :) done very well that it was hard to tell when they cut from Austin to Elvis.
do you really think I didn’t know :oops:

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney

Phillyb

May 31, 2012
This was just a great movie by itself, interesting, joyful, sadness, but in the end, it was a moving story, and that voice even at the end was so powerful and with such a feeling, when Elvis said he sounded like nobody he was right he had a special talent and when he had interest he was something see live. He appreciated Black music, Black Gospel, and white southern Gospel, he was at home around that and those artists but also he loved country music and Mario Lanza. But Gospel and R&B were his favorites, he said they sing with a feel, and he disliked technical singers.

Fats Domino said without Elvis none of us would have been here, he meant being heard on white radio and audience, Elvis integrated music where black music was now played on mainstream radio, not just on black stations and playing juke joints, and their world became mainstream now. The Cleveland Arena had the 1st integrated rock shows thanks to Alan Freed where Black and White kids were together. Things changed after Elvis, not to mention how guitar sales went through the roof and became the defacto rock instrument, and even him having the Jordinairs as his backup singers became another boast for backup singers from that time on. I spoke with Bill Randle once a Cleveland famous Cleveland DJ who brought Elvis is Cleveland to play a record hop before he made his 1st TV appearance and exploded, he said he was a master of pulling energy from the audience, he stole the show, and Pat Boone was the star attraction.

Later the early '70s Elvis finally came back to Cleveland 15 years later, I knew the Cleveland Press record/rock reviewer and I was not sure I wanted to spend $10.00!! to see Elvis, he said to me you will get your $10.00 worth when he just walks out on stage, he said the energy you will feel you will not forget, well he was right, there was a vibe in the air and the reaction from the audience that never stop building till he left and I clearly remember people saying as we were leaving I cannot believe we saw him the show was so good and tight, he was there then gone and of course, the sound from the audience as he fells to his knee and opened his cape (Captian America) and the crowd went nuts and rushed the stage reaching out to him, and he just stayed there for a few minutes arms outreached which is embedded in my mind. What a showman he was, wink, wink, laughs at himself yet serious at the same time.

What summer and fall it was for Rock shows, The Who, Led, Neil Diamond (Before Hot August Night), JC Superstar play with Murray Head, and Steppenwolf and some unknown playing the Agora David Bowie if I recall and a few years later another unknown Bruce Springstein. As they say Cleveland Rocks and you name it they played Cleveland.

From a mother who picked cotton with Elvis on her back to survive to what he became is truly an American story. The thing that will always be evident to me is that if you hear Elvis in 1955, 1956, then just 4 years later singing Now or Never, or Surrender, where in the hell did he develop that voice? Mystery Train and Heartbreak Hotel to those songs in 4 years, and from those songs came from my favorite recording is the Elvis is Back sessions where they came from. His voice is effortless, highs to lows and it just flows, and the 2 blues numbers are some of the best. Take the Elvis name off the film and the film stands on its own with the acting, style and for once a story, no special effects, no cars spinning in midair, people flying around like in a video game, how refreshing to see a good well-made movie. I plan to buy it in 4K when it is released.

The movie and Austin should be up for awards this year they both are well deserving.

Last edited:
Reactions: Steve Williams

Steve Williams

I have already said that if Austin Butler doesn't win the Oscar for his performance then something is wrong. As to my prior comment about the final scene bringing a lump to your throat had nothing to do with Austin Butler but rather the final performance of Elvis career before he died at age 42. For those of us who grew up with Elvis this movie had it all. I was stunned to learn in the film that with all of his international fame, Col Parker never allowed him to tour outside the USA

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing