Michael Fremer's home power-system story

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I think Michael is one of the most intellectually honest reviewers in the business.

I completely agree, and it is easy to make out if we ourselves stay intellectually honest that the attributes he writes about are there to be heard, not just made up text. The final preference can vary, but the attributes are there. Also, his writing style is direct and to the point.

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
We had a 27 kw Generac generator installed a few years ago and it had no negative impact on the sound of my room. None. Then again, my panel, meter and wiring is newer than MF’s.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
We had a 27 kw Generac generator installed a few years ago and it had no negative impact on the sound of my room. None. Then again, my panel, meter and wiring is newer than MF’s.
are you running your system off of the generator?

david

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Never had an issue. I assume you speak royally for your locale.
You have the M1.2R, a balanced unit, not the single ended units. Both Steve an David addressed this aspect before me.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
"Any electrician certified to make an electrical installation in health services or laboratories should be able to carry this type of work. When I rebuilt my house I had the new ground measured. Many people ignore that the best part of a separate power supply is not the dedicated neutral and hot, but the dedicated ground wire"

The part I did not quote. Your statement seems to minimize the value of these professionals imho, however that aside, in your installation, please describe the difference between the ground and neutral wiring schemes with regard to implementation?

No minimization, on the contrary - I say that some specific certified electricians are competent to carry audio wiring. But there will be always some specific aspects in power wiring for audio.

US and Europe have different codes for neutral and ground, debating them here will be confusing and besides, useless to the thread. Mains wiring is filled with compromises, we must ask ourselves what we want to maximize and minimize.

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
I completely agree, and it is easy to make out if we ourselves stay intellectually honest that the attributes he writes about are there to be heard, not just made up text. The final preference can vary, but the attributes are there. Also, his writing style is direct and to the point.
seems to be mixed emotions.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
You have the M1.2R, a balanced unit, not the single ended units. Both Steve an David addressed this aspect before me.

The M1.2 Ref is not a balanced circuit. Fwiw, I have used and am using other single-ended Lamm gear as well.

You make a generalized statement about problems with grounding Lamm equipment, then point to other people without any reference to what they said? That is usually called 'hearsay'.

Reactions: gestalt and PeterA

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
The M1.2 Ref is not a balanced circuit. Fwiw, I have used and am using other single-ended Lamm gear as well.

You make a generalized statement about problems with grounding Lamm equipment, then point to other people without any reference to what they said? That is usually called 'hearsay'.

The M1.2 REF has a real balanced input - FIY please read from the Stereophile review:

"The M1.2's two RCA input jacks are in parallel with pins 2 and 3 of the input XLR—when the amplifier is to be driven single-ended, the unused RCA is shorted to ground with the supplied plug to minimize noise pickup. The hot and cold signal phases are each taken by short lengths of shielded cable to a Burr-Brown BUF634 chip: a unity-gain, high-speed video buffer. These chips then feed the "military grade" 6922 tube via a differential pair of JFETs" (end of quote)

Contrary to some other Lamm amplfiiers the M1.2R XLR is balanced with two phases. In the ML2 family and ML3 the minus input is shorted to ground - the XLR is there only for convenience. I have used it both ways, even with the L2 REF that has both balanced and SE outputs. I preferred the SE mode.

And no, it is not "hearsay". It is "WBFreadsay". We addressed these subjects several times in this forum, unfortunately you seem to retain little of our previous discussions and then surely are not able to follow the threads. Again FIY according to safety codes an amplifier that needs to be operated with a cheater plug to avoid hum has a grounding problem.

BTW, Mike Lavigne also reported grounding issues when using the ML3. Fortunately David helped him solving them.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
The M1.2 REF has a real balanced input - FIY please read from the Stereophile review:

"The M1.2's two RCA input jacks are in parallel with pins 2 and 3 of the input XLR—when the amplifier is to be driven single-ended, the unused RCA is shorted to ground with the supplied plug to minimize noise pickup.

That's a rather loose definition of 'real'. I don't need to read a Stereophile review for Lamm specifications when I can read the factory manual or my own review. The M1.2Ref has external XLR connectors but it is not a balanced circuit - it is not a "balanced unit".

Ergo your claim is false:

You did not talk about the ML3 - you made a claim about "our Lamm equipment." Whose that is - who is "we" - is left ambiguous. If you are going to criticize a manufacturer you need to know your facts and be very clear in your writing. Remember this is someone's livelihood.

Our Lamm' equipment is extremely sensitive to any problem in power wiring or grounding as they are single ended high impedance inputs - we must use them with cheaters to cut the ground connection or simply cut the safety ground wire when using long wires to avoid hum.

And no, it is not "hearsay". It is "WBFreadsay". We addressed these subjects several times in this forum, unfortunately you seem to retain little of our previous discussions and then surely are not able to follow the threads.

Francisco - let's not play word games. If you want to use what someone else said as the explanation for your claim, then get off your ass and point directly to those words or include them in your post.

Reactions: Lagonda

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Somehow ( and yet not unusually ) this thread has veered away from the core topic.

I cannot speak for the OP or for Rex & co, but I do feel that anyone that 1) owns their home and can do work on the infrastructure ( maybe not the case for some high rise buildings ) and 2) is considering spending 5 figures on cords and conditioners may well benefit from an objectice appraisal of their electrical infrastructure. Sure we can debate what changes are 'best' but dealing with panels, grounds and noisemakers is very practical and valuable...

Reactions: Long Live Analog

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
The input stage is balanced two OPA, after then it will currios one 6922 tube can unfortunately see how the circuit track of the board looks from below. I think it creates a different distortion behavior. I would have done something different first stage 6922 second stage 6N6 or 6h30 tube. real hybrid amp shouldn't be bashing, sound really good;)
M1.2-inside.jpg second pic one chanel of this maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Addicted to hifi

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
That's a rather loose definition of 'real'. I don't need to read a Stereophile review for Lamm specifications when I can read the factory manual or my own review. The M1.2Ref has external XLR connectors but it is not a balanced circuit - it is not a "balanced unit".

Ergo your claim is false:

You did not talk about the ML3 - you made a claim about "our Lamm equipment." Whose that is - who is "we" - is left ambiguous. If you are going to criticize a manufacturer you need to know your facts and be very clear in your writing. Remember this is someone's livelihood.

Francisco - let's not play word games. If you want to use what someone else said as the explanation for your claim, then get off your ass and point directly to those words or include them in your post.

Please read the Lamm specs at their site : http://www.lammindustries.com/PRODUCTS/m2spec.html

Balanced

Non-inverting

Inverting
3-pin XLR connector
brass, gold plated,
single-ended RCA connector

brass, gold plated,
single-ended RCA connector

Jack and David, both Lamm dealers, addressed this aspect of the M1.2R long ago. At that time Jack seemed to prefer the balanced mode, David the single ended.

Or Paul Bolin on the M1.2R

"The Lamm was noninverting when driven via its balanced XLR input, which appears to be wired with pin 2 hot, and via the red unbalanced RCA jack (with the other, white jack shorted to ground with the supplied plug). The input impedance was to specification at 41k ohms (unbalanced or each phase of the balanced input) across the audioband. The balanced voltage gain at 1kHz into 8 ohms was high, at 31.7dB in both the High Impedance (Hi-Z) and Low Impedance (Lo-Z) bias conditions. The unbalanced gain, with the other input shorted, was the same, instead of 6dB lower, as expected."

BTW, I just went again through your very nice review of the M1.2R - and I found :
planned to use the M1.2s with an all-tube Atma-Sphere MP-1 Mk 3.1 preamp, a unit known for delivering agile, high-resolution harmonic sophistication with low distortion and benchmark levels of transparency. Unfortunately, this combination resulted in a lower-band hum in both channels from the Wilson Audio Sasha speakers' midrange drivers. Try as we may, the hum issue was never resolved; final speculation (and I emphasize this as speculation only) had it resulting from an XLR wiring incongruity between the two units

Call it what you want, IMHO it was simply a grounding problem - XLR wiring is standard, although sometimes phases are reversed. I have used the MP1 mk3 with many balanced amplifiers and never had any problem. Only sold it because the mk3.3 upgrade needed shipping back to the factory.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Hello all. Glad you enjoyed the video. I have a bit to say about it in further posts, but I wanted to drop a couple quick thoughts.
First. Michaels room is oddly good sounding. I don't know how. It seems it should not be. But after our work was complete, I was stunned and said I could live with this system as an end all setup. Michael simply commented, I should hope so.

2nd. Michael is a very down to earth, honest person. I don't feel any underlying adjenda with him. I feel he tells it like he perceives it. For example, he said my entry level Allnic H1201 is so so with the MC input, but it can sound very good with a SUT into the MM. I then went and got a Bobs Device step up and was shocked how beautiful my vinyl plays. Its top of the heap again.

Lastly, there was nothing particularly unusual about Michaels infrastructure when I got there. It was pretty much like most homes I see. His basic layout was to code and like every other generator installation. A prior electrician had installed commercial type wiring with MC cable in the room. The same type install I performed in high rise, hospitals and data centers. The same type of electrician people say should have no problem wiring your home audio system. But audio is finicky. Your amplifying a minuscule mV from a phono cartridge over multiple steps to get to where you can push the cones in a speaker with significant force. I actually credit Michael with realizing something was not right. Most people have no idea and live with issue they don't realize are present. Michaels experience and expertise in what he does led him to seek improvement on what he had. I of course am biased, but I believe he went about it the correct way and addressed the foundation of audio, the power energizing the system. From there, everything he plugs in will now work at its highest level.

Additionally, Michaels system is now set up coreect with basic, readily available components. A step above what the average homeowner may use, but still available at say a Home Depot. He is not using the more exotic highly optimized panels and grounding I offer. So in reality, his system is a very solid baseline where the products he reviews should have repeatable results in any properly laid out system.
Rex
Kingrex Electric

K3RMIT

Sep 4, 2020
Please read his articles - he solved the problem for reviews using power regenerators. It is all explained in the Stereophile review of the PSAudio Power Plant 20 https://www.stereophile.com/content...stream-power-plant-20-thixar-amplifier-stands

It would be great if people researched a little before strating sending the missiles on reviewers.
I’m confused sone same a power conditioner is bad , can someone explain how a regen fixes power that is fed from a 50 year old alum wire meter pan ?? i thought REGE fix freq and voltage issues. it does not have a reserve power capacity so if power is fluctuating due to bad conduction of voltage I’m not sure it can fix it.

Reactions: andromedaaudio

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
The M1.2 REF has a real balanced input

Francisco, you can cut n paste all day long but that will not turn a non-balanced circuit into a balanced circuit. Given your conclusion above after reading reviews and Lamm's own specs, I'm sceptical of your understanding of what you read.

Yes the M1.2 Ref has both RCA and XLR input connectors and one can take measurements based on which input connector is in use.

However, If an amplifier has XLR connectors you cannot tell if it is balanced or not from those alone.

The Lamm has convenience connections- its not a real balanced input. So if you were trying to drive the Lamm with a balanced source the results could well be problematic. In a proper balanced connection, the ground is not part of the signal; the non-inverting output is generated with respect to the inverting output and vice versa. If you connect such a source to a Lamm power amp, you could well wind up with a buzz problem because pin 3 of the XLR in the Lamm isn't connected to anything, so you wind up with an open circuit.

Edit: Btw, your link is to an older version of the Lamm Web site, you might want to update.

Last edited:

wil

Jul 22, 2015
Hello all. Glad you enjoyed the video. I have a bit to say about it in further posts, but I wanted to drop a couple quick thoughts.
First. Michaels room is oddly good sounding. I don't know how. It seems it should not be. But after our work was complete, I was stunned and said I could live with this system as an end all setup. Michael simply commented, I should hope so.

2nd. Michael is a very down to earth, honest person. I don't feel any underlying adjenda with him. I feel he tells it like he perceives it. For example, he said my entry level Allnic H1201 is so so with the MC input, but it can sound very good with a SUT into the MM. I then went and got a Bobs Device step up and was shocked how beautiful my vinyl plays. Its top of the heap again.

Lastly, there was nothing particularly unusual about Michaels infrastructure when I got there. It was pretty much like most homes I see. His basic layout was to code and like every other generator installation. A prior electrician had installed commercial type wiring with MC cable in the room. The same type install I performed in high rise, hospitals and data centers. The same type of electrician people say should have no problem wiring your home audio system. But audio is finicky. Your amplifying a minuscule mV from a phono cartridge over multiple steps to get to where you can push the cones in a speaker with significant force. I actually credit Michael with realizing something was not right. Most people have no idea and live with issue they don't realize are present. Michaels experience and expertise in what he does led him to seek improvement on what he had. I of course am biased, but I believe he went about it the correct way and addressed the foundation of audio, the power energizing the system. From there, everything he plugs in will now work at its highest level.

Additionally, Michaels system is now set up coreect with basic, readily available components. A step above what the average homeowner may use, but still available at say a Home Depot. He is not using the more exotic highly optimized panels and grounding I offer. So in reality, his system is a very solid baseline where the products he reviews should have repeatable results in any properly laid out system.
Rex
Kingrex Electric
Rex, did you do any before and after measurements with your scope? It would be really interesting to see how they correlate with the change in the sound quality you got there.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Rex, did you do any before and after measurements with your scope? It would be really interesting to see how they correlate with the change in the sound quality you got there.
Yes I did. I do at all jobs. Harmonic distortion never changes. If its there it is there. I have never seen a house with less than 2.5% to voltage nor more than 5.5% to voltage. Almost always its a slight raging of the leading edge of the wave. Its almost always a lot of 1 and a little 3. I have very rarely seen some out to 9.

MV potential between neutral and ground goes way down, if not to 0 in most all sections of the system.

Reactions: SCAudiophile

K3RMIT

Sep 4, 2020
Most utilities offer or allow a over head to be fed underground
The overhead is almost always alum
The pics show about 60 to 80 feet
The gauge is typical 6 gauge pretty crappy over all. If converted to underground it’s copper and much larger in size
most utilities give you the wire.
you install all underground piping from meter to pole and 15 feet up on pole
doing so greatly lowers transient voltage changes.
just saying and Rex work looks outstanding

Reactions: Long Live Analog

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Francisco, you can cut n paste all day long but that will not turn a non-balanced circuit into a balanced circuit. Given your conclusion above after reading reviews and Lamm's own specs, I'm sceptical of your understanding of what you read.
Tim,

I can't understand how you are now trying to move the discussion into nebulous waters to avoid the proper discussion around the M1.2R you and many others reviewed.

Let us be factual - we were debating ground problems and hum. These are typically due to input problems - noise induced at the input is amplified. I said the Lamm M1.2 is balanced surely meaning that it has real balanced inputs, making it much less susceptible to ground problems - you also have used it with balanced preamplifiers before.

The M1.2R has balanced input, as said by all other reviewers , Lamm specifications and the M1.2R manual I am reading - do you want me to post a scan?

Yes the M1.2 Ref has both RCA and XLR input connectors and one can take measurements based on which input connector is in use.

John Atkinson fully describes all the balanced parameters in his measurement section in 2003 review and later in the reappraisal in 2016. Do you think JA does not know what is a balanced input? Bascom H. King also posted an extremely complete description of the circuit of the similar balanced input M2.1 in his Audio May 1988 review.

However, If an amplifier has XLR connectors you cannot tell if it is balanced or not from those alone.

Yes, it is why must read and understand the specifications, something it seems you did not do.
The M1.2 has a balanced input.

Edit: Btw, your link is to an older version of the Lamm Web site, you might want to update.

Thanks, there is no difference in the input specs between those pages.
Ralph Karsten was addressing Peter Lamm amplifier, the ML2 single ended, not the M1.2R hybrid. Just to end , even you acknowledged in your review that the M1.2Ref has balanced inputs:

(I am quoting your audiobeat review)
"In the end, non-musical attributes may tip one’s considerations. The M1.2 is a solid-state unit with a single tube, while the Reference 250 uses eleven valves per monoblock. The Lamm amp is single-ended with balanced inputs; the Reference 250 is fully balanced. In summary, each of these amplifiers has its own strong sonic appeal, and I’d love to own them both., "

But you are mistaken - the M1.2 is not single-ended - it is an hybrid class A push pull, as you acknowledge in the review. BTW, fully balanced has a very specific meaning.

Just for curiosity, why do you think that we must insert shorting plugs in the non used RCA input when driving it with a single ended preamplfier? Hint - may be because it has a balanced input ... :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing