METAXAS Tourbillon T-RX

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Yes. And one of the guys who was taking care of the demo owns a Studer A80 VU. His feedback about the unit was everything but positive.

I myself own a fully overhauled and upgraded Studer A80 RC MK II and a Nagra IVS with a QGB module. The tech who is looking after my tape decks was unimpressed by the Metaxas.
I'm sure the 1st generation of any tape deck was a bit crude and frustrating. it's nice that the A80 or other top level decks from the tape golden age were 5th or 6th generation machines.

the question is whether Metaxas stays around to get to the 3rd or 4th generation? those might be pretty good.

dcc

VIP/Donor
Nov 4, 2012
Continental Europe -
I was considering buying one but I did some due diligence and decided not to pursue that option. I will be meeting Christophe Martinez next month and I will have the chance to compare his TP-1000 against a Studer A80 VU.

Once you have played with a fully overhauled/upgraded master tape recorder (A80, A820, ATR 102, Nagra T), you will understand why we have high expectations.

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
naturally there are more experiences from owners of vintage machines
it´s plain statistics
BUT it´s not very surprising that a EUR 20K machine might be nuked by a machine from late 70s that would cost 80-100K to make today
That’s very true, you’re right.

I am actually more interested in the Papillon. Have you heard from any experts who have seen and heard one?

dcc

VIP/Donor
Nov 4, 2012
Continental Europe -
A Studer master tape recorder was developed by a whole team of highly skilled engineers with each one dedicated to a specific area (tape transport mechanics, tape transport electronics, record, repro etc.). I still wonder how a one guy project can achieve better results.

My tech always reminds that, at the time, the price tag of a Studer A80 was the same as a Mercedes Class S...

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I love the effort he put in the design but my refurbished Telefunken M15 A / eternal arts tape stage is hard to beat for the money i reckon
I spoke briefly with " the man" at Munchen 22 and it runs beautifully smooth .
I m a mechanical engineer by trade and this really looks like a well thought out design .
I would go for the big machine though

This stuff you can really call art , and its hard to put a price tag on art as everybody knows

20220521_105352.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
the M15 is colored more 300B ish in sound than A80RC and mechanically more noisy and on top of that a rather "crude" transport, even though I like the wind/rewind lever

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
the M15 is colored more 300B ish in sound than A80RC and mechanically more noisy and on top of that a rather "crude" transport, even though I like the wind/rewind lever

Probably not a correctly refurbished example, the telefunken doesnt have tubes , the eternal arts does have tubes

I have owned a A 80 RC mk2 and i also own 2 refurbished B 62 to compare

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
mine is in the basement and all bearings and psu caps are replaced....works flawlessly, but defo sounds more colored than A80 and probably the reason why some prefer it to A80

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
mine is in the basement and all bearings and psu caps are replaced....works flawlessly, but defo sounds more colored than A80 and probably the reason why some prefer it to A80

There are so many factors which can account for " colour " in a system .

Anybody starting in Tape .... the telefunken M 15 A is a no brainer afaik

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
it´s not an A
reg color in my system
why does Sequerra, A80, Melco, DDX1500 and all sources have same signature, except M15?

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
I thought you were space limited, looking for a compact machine... now you are having hots for a machine that uses 15" reels. :)
Fits on a wall though! And it’s actually quite shallow.

Isn’t it “can accept“ 15” reels rather than “uses”?

adrianywu

Nov 15, 2021
A Studer master tape recorder was developed by a whole team of highly skilled engineers with each one dedicated to a specific area (tape transport mechanics, tape transport electronics, record, repro etc.). I still wonder how a one guy project can achieve better results.

My tech always reminds that, at the time, the price tag of a Studer A80 was the same as a Mercedes Class S...
Yes, and apparently the list price for a Nagra T Audio in its last year of manufacture (1983) would have bought a nice flat in London !

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
Yes, and apparently the list price for a Nagra T Audio in its last year of manufacture (1983) would have bought a nice flat in London !
This is interesting, actually. I read (perhaps somewhere here) that in 1983 the Nagra T cost 23,000 GBP. That’s only USD15,000 at the time. Adjusted for inflation, that’s about $50,000 today.
So nowhere near the cost of a home anywhere, let alone in London.

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
to handle a vertical mounted tape machine is VERY CLUMSY compared to having a flat work space
both threading and access to heads, fixing the reels
playing from pancakes would be a ultra high risk adventure....

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
to handle a vertical mounted tape machine is VERY CLUMSY compared to having a flat work space
both threading and access to heads, fixing the reels
playing from pancakes would be a ultra high risk adventure....
It will be mounted at the same angle as a console, 45 degrees. Can’t see how it would be any different than on a stand, as it will be at waist height.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing