Metaxas Tape Machines Secure U.S. + Canada Distribution

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Having a deck is a small part of this. Acquiring the software is the hard part.

joey_v

Nov 30, 2015
Amazing, congratulations! Jeff is a great guy and will be there when necessary, I’m sure. What colors did you select?

Also wanted to recall the TAS review of the Tourbillon, which was the best review I have ever read, of any audio component, in ~30 years of being in this hobby.
Very excited for sure. It's been about 4 months in the making for me.

Reactions: Ron Resnick

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
It’s not hard, it‘s expensive! ;)

Well, it is both. There are TONS of albums not available commercially. There is a lot of great stuff out there but most albums aren’t.

Foxbat

Jun 11, 2020
It’s not hard, it‘s expensive! ;)
Seriously? Not hard? Do you realize how many albums have been recorded in the world in the last 100 years? How many of them exist on tape?

.00000001%, or less? Of all 900 or so tapes available today I would really love to have maybe 5. Another 10-15 "just since available"... and that's about it.

I am talking about tapes with verifiable provenance, of course...

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
Seriously? Not hard? Do you realize how many albums have been recorded in the world in the last 100 years? How many of them exist on tape?

.00000001%, or less? Of all 900 or so tapes available today I would really love to have maybe 5. Another 10-15 "just since available"... and that's about it.

I am talking about tapes with verifiable provenance, of course...
Spent a few minutes trying to decipher what you meant and what value it’s adding. Time I will never get back.

Thousands of albums are available on tape, with known provenance. Can you afford them at $400+ a pop? That’s why I wrote it’s expensive, but not difficult to build a collection on tape.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Victor’s point is that only a minute percent of albums are available on tape, especially if you like jazz and rock.

Reactions: Lee

Foxbat

Jun 11, 2020
I am not sure where you can find thousands of tapes, all the lists I have seen put together had up to 900 titles. Granted, that was a few months back, so I suspect there are a few more, but "thousands"?

I don't count all those copies made from the production copies, that were sent around the world for local LP fabrication, as their generation is unknown.

The selection of great performances of classical music is particularly pitiful. There have been recently some interesting tapes made from the masters kept in the Melodia vault... I would love some, but I will not deal with the russians.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing