Meridian 588 disc error

0035imhotep

Jun 17, 2021
Good evening,

I have an Meridian 588 CD player that has difficulties in reading disc, (disc error).
The strange part is.....after trying several times it finaly starts working and stays working cd after cd.
Has anybody have any guess wat the problem could be????

Thanks

Good evening,

I have an Meridian 588 CD player that has difficulties in reading disc, (disc error).
The strange part is.....after trying several times it finaly starts working and stays working cd after cd.
Has anybody have any guess wat the problem could be????

Thanks
Sounds like a faulty lazer or worn out lazer.

Sounds like a faulty lazer or worn out lazer.
That is most likely what it is. However the great sounding 588 CD player, like the great 598DP CD/DVD/DVD-A transport, and the G series transports and players all use very obsolete computer DVD-ROM drives. These are now hard to come by. The guys over at the Meridian user's group I already suggested are most likely to know where to obtain relevant replacements and/or repair service.

I was heavily invested in the Meridian "DSP-or-Die" camp for a long stretch and am painfully aware of how difficult some Meridian repair parts became to obtain. I ultimately junked two 598DPs and a 596 for want of compatible replacement DVD drives.

Reactions: Addicted to hifi
I had a 588 and it would read error if it was a very long CD.
If the disc was more than about 79 minutes it would read error.
Janet Jackson’s The Velvet Rope springs to mind as an example.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing