McIntosh 452/Jeff Fritz review

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I enjoyed reading it, and left me tempted since my biases are high against early-designed SS Mac gear.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I was a little surprised that Jeff referred to the power transformer as a power output transformer and called it “massive” because it weighs 30lbs. What does that make the 85 lb transformer in the KSA-250?

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
.... Sorry for my brutal honesty and apologize if I offended anyone.

Mod: Post edited. Please do not discuss the person but the content of the post. Professional conduct is top goal at WBF and we appreciate members treating each other with respect.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Not to sound mean spirited, but I do not consider Jeff Fritz a respected audio reviewer. Sure, granted anyone can have their own opinions. But his reviews are so out in space as to wonder if gets high before he writes. Sorry for my brutal honesty and apologize if I offended anyone.

A few more responses like this and I will get put up for the nice guy of the year award.:D

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Not to sound mean spirited, but I do not consider Jeff Fritz a respected audio reviewer. Sure, granted anyone can have their own opinions. But his reviews are so out in space as to wonder if gets high before he writes. Sorry for my brutal honesty and apologize if I offended anyone.

Instead of flaming away, why don't you tell us what was incorrect about the review?

Have you heard the Mcintosh in your system to give us your thoughts?

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Instead of flaming away, why don't you tell us what was incorrect about the review?

Have you heard the Mcintosh in your system to give us your thoughts?

+1

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
I am not flaming, I am responding to Jeff Fritz's reviews. He constantly bashes Venture Audio speakers and then praises McIntosh. Therefore, I have concluded he has too many hairs in his ear canals.

Jeff Fritz

[Industry Expert]
Jun 7, 2010
I am not flaming, I am responding to Jeff Fritz's reviews. He constantly bashes Venture Audio speakers and then praises McIntosh. Therefore, I have concluded he has too many hairs in his ear canals.

I was hoping not to get into a debate here, but it seems MarinJim won't let this rest. First, for the record, I have not found Venture speakers to sound good at the last two CESes. That is true and is the source of his criticism.

So, MarinJim, some questions for you:

Can you tell us if you are an owner of Venture speakers or do you have a relationship with the distributor?

Did you hear the speakers at the last two CES shows?

Have you heard the latest McIntosh amplifiers with ThermalTrak transistors in your system?

Answering these questions will give some context to your criticism of me.

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
I was hoping not to get into a debate here, but it seems MarinJim won't let this rest. First, for the record, I have not found Venture speakers to sound good at the last two CESes. That is true and is the source of his criticism.

So, MarinJim, some questions for you:

Can you tell us if you are an owner of Venture speakers or do you have a relationship with the distributor?
Yes, I own a pair of Venture CR-8 Signatures. Best speakers I have every owned and bested my old Focal Altos by a large margin.

Did you hear the speakers at the last two CES shows?
Yes, they were my best of show, but don't take my word. How about the many writers like Steve Marsh of 6Moons or the Audio Beat. They both voted Venture best in show at RMAF.

Have you heard the latest McIntosh amplifiers with ThermalTrak transistors in your system?
Yes. I live 5 miles from World of Sound, a McIntosh dealer. Don't get me wrong. I like McIntosh and they have a great community. I just like a lot more amps better.

Answering these questions will give some context to your criticism of me.

Hope this helps :)

Jeff Fritz

[Industry Expert]
Jun 7, 2010
Hope this helps :)

The fact that you own the speakers explains why you reacted the way you did. OK, I get it. Everyone won't always agree with you, though. Disagreeing is fine, but what you did, a personal attack against someone with a different view, is not. The part about me being "high" was over the line.

I can point you to 20 different CES reports with varying best-of-show opinions. Opinions vary!

It is not clear whether you've actually heard the new Mac amps in your system or at the dealer. I suspect the latter.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I am pretty sure you have a hard time proving how many hairs he has in his ears :D. Please focus on content of his posts, not him. When someone says they like Sushi and you don't it doesn't mean they are on drugs and you not ;).

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
Sorry about my humor. Sometimes it does not travel well over the net. I heard the McIntosh amps in my system and owned a MCD500 last year before I upgraded to a GNSC Wadia S7i.

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
Which amps did you try in your system MarinJim?

Burmester 911 MK3>Hegel H10>Hegel H4A>Chapter Audio Couplet>Graaf GM100>Symphonic Line RG1 MK3>B&K>SAE>Phase Linear :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing