MBL 1611 F against Lampizator GG or similar. Anybody compared?

Crashem

Dec 21, 2015
I have heard the MBL 1611 F a few years ago and the Lampizator BIG 7 more recently. Impossible for me to give you any differences in sonic impressions.

Dac tech has been moving quickly. The MBL 1611 F is very long in tooth (2011-12?). I can't find any reference to what underlying DAC chip it is using in this model, but previous models used off the shelf DAC chips with additional filters added/built by MBL which I assume still remains the same. The problem is that the MBL1611F doesn't support any of the higher rez PCM and even worse, no DSD. It still remains a beautiful piece of equipment, but I would think a more modern DAC with similar capabilities to GG would be a better comparison.

To give you an idea, I ended up with GG after some comparisons. I also own a PS Audio DirectStream. Interestingly here is a review that does some comparisons between DirectStream and MBL1611F. (http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue74/psaudio_directstream.htm). If I was you, I would do comparison shopping between GG and totaldac and high end Delta Sigma DAC (many to choose from). For me, if you appreciate the magic of DHT in output stage of DAC and like the versatility of voicing the DAC via tubes, the GG is the top choice.

jpetek

Feb 12, 2013
Hi,

thank you for the answer, but I think more important than PCM over 192 Khz or DSD is the Quality of the record.

If you have a old chip does not mean that the DAC is bad. The best DAC I ever heard work with 44 KHz use a old AD1865N with 18 Bit.

Which one? A AudioNote Fifth Element. Forget your GG or very other DAC.

Just my 2 Cent.

BR

Josef

Crashem

Dec 21, 2015
Hi,

thank you for the answer, but I think more important than PCM over 192 Khz or DSD is the Quality of the record.

If you have a old chip does not mean that the DAC is bad. The best DAC I ever heard work with 44 KHz use a old AD1865N with 18 Bit.

Which one? A AudioNote Fifth Element. Forget your GG or very other DAC.

Just my 2 Cent.

BR

Josef

I don't disagree with anything you are saying. I am just pointing out at this point, there seems to be better choices to compare to the Lampizator at that price range. If you are talking about buying the MBL1611F used as significant discount, then maybe it makes sense. However if you loved that old Audio Note, I would say you prefer R2R dacs or similarly voiced DACs. Luckily there has been a renaissance in R2R tech in the last few years. I highly doubt the MBL1611F compares well with Lampizator (especially with its new gen R2R chip). I have DS and preferred the Lampizator (somewhat unfair given price difference). I would recommend you compare Total Dac, DCS, and MSB to Lampizator. All those DACs have updated R2R implementations. As FYI, I really love the capability of the DHT Lampizator to tune its voice via tubes. Gives us "tweakers" endless possibilities.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing