Clash of the titans - Seeking experience from you guys

grandsoir

Dec 28, 2020
Hello folks

So I´m building a serious 2-channel system for a private client and when I was looking for a DAC that I wanted for myself 6months ago, I wanted the Holo Audio May.

I could not audition the May and still can´t but after reading up on reviews it seems like a good DAC that sound more "analog".

I always try and explain the philosophy on having a system that is leaning more towards a neutralsound, not something that makes all material have a sameness over it.

The soundideal for the client is a "Musicality, midrange magic, a big wide and deep soundstage with some 3 dimensionality. Warmth over cold and a welcoming sound that doesn’t hurt his ears with a bright thin sound"

You could never mask a bad recording, but since most CDs out there are mediocre sounding, a DAC that is not overly bright and digital sounding is to prefer. The room will be treated to the best extent.

HoloAudio May KTE
1680993158387.png

d1-sublime DAC
1680993184124.png

Weiss dac 501
1680993215697.png

Lampizator Horizon DAC
1680993247803.png

Mola Mola Tambaqui
1680996356362.png
We are leaning towards a Taiko Extreme server as the source, with FLAC/WAV/DSD64-512 and SACD-files.

All feedback is welcome if you have compared, owned or have experience from any of these.

Colekat

Sep 7, 2015
Rehoboth, Massachusetts
… Get this out of the way … I am an audio enthusiast and represent several brands as a small shop owner in the Northeast … But this is strictly as an enthusiast . One cool thing about having a few audio rooms and a constant flow of clients , I get to change out components regularly . Its a mazing how effected the sound is when these changes get made … you know , sell one component , fill that void with another piece , DAC , transport , cables, power cords , speakers , etc . you get the drift ! A lot goes into really assessing those changes , how long do you let new changes settle in , especially with speakers , so much goes into placement and wearing in drivers , maybe changing cables … or whatever .

So whats all the rant about , lol … well I really need to put a lot of effort into extracting the best out of a certain combination … and I really only understand how well something gels , when I return something to the mix after a prolonged absence , espiecally with DACs .

From my experiences , DACs effect the sound more than any other component overall . Also , the better the DAC , and I know thats a debate , the better the surrounding cast needs to be to make that assessment. So right now , I have a simple system with Acora SRC1‘s and REL 31 subs … so I would say that comb offers high resolution , detail , low distortion … the amps are EMM MTRX 1s , and one may be surprised that a company famous for digital produces the best sounding SS amps I have had the pleasure to use , Preamp is T+A P3100 HV , all cabling Tara Labs Evolution , Power Cords are various Stage 3 into a Power Slave Granite , all settling in an Artesania Exotyric Rack . So thats the main support system … In my opinion , a high end cast of products from an assortment of common name manufacturers .

So , I had an idea to set it up so my clients could assess for themselves how various DACs preform to their likes and dislikes … AND YES I KNOW THIS IS SUBJECTIVE … but aside from room interaction , you can absolutely judge the strengths and weaknesses , the likes and dislikes, the aesthetics … the different inputs , cabling effects , etc. Source at the moment is T+A Transport and Aurender W20 SE .

I loaded the rack with some single box heavy hitters and with a simple input change , clients can hear for themselves .

The DACs at the moment -
Ideon Absolute Epsilon
Ypsilon 1000 SE
EMM DA 2 V2
Lampizator Horizon
T+A SD 3100 HV

Theres only 5 Preamp inputs , so thats the first round of players …

So , if any of these are of an interest , what would you like to know about these various players from my humble perspective .

Last edited:

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
for my money;
The soundideal for the client is a "Musicality, midrange magic, a big wide and deep soundstage with some 3 dimensionality. Warmth over cold and a welcoming sound that doesn’t hurt his ears with a bright thin sound"
You just described the Horizon.
The Mola Mola comes close for a lot less money.
There is also the Pacifica.
The latter is preferable if digital is not your primary source.
Caveat: There is a boatload of DACS I have not heard.

Last edited:

John T

Feb 15, 2022
… Get this out of the way … I am an audio enthusiast and represent several brands as a small shop in the Northeast … But this is strictly as an enthusiast . One cool thing about having a few audio rooms and a constant flow of clients , I get to change out components regularly . Its a mazing how effected the sound is when these changes get made … you know , sell one component , fill that void with another piece , DAC , transport , cables, power cords , speakers , etc . you get the drift ! A lot goes into really assessing those changes , how long do you let new changes settle in , especially with speakers , so much goes into placement and wearing in drivers , maybe changing cables … or whatever .

So whats all the rant about , lol … well I really need to put a lot of effort into extracting the best out of a certain combination … and I really only understand how well something gels , when I return something to the mix after a prolonged absence , espiecally with DACs .

From my experiences , DACs effect the sound more than any other component overall . Also , the better the DAC , and I know thats a debate , the better the surrounding cast needs to be to make that assessment. So right now , I have a simple system with Acora SRC1‘s and REL 31 subs … so I would say that comb offers high resolution , detail , low distortion … the amps are EMM MTRX 1s , and one may be surprised that a company famous for digital produces the best sounding SS amps I have had the pleasure to use , Preamp is T+A P3100 HV , all cabling Tara Labs Evolution , Power Cords are various Stage 3 into a Power Slave Granite , all settling in an Artesania Exotyric Rack . So thats the main support system … In my opinion , a high end cast of products from an assortment of common name manufacturers .

So , I had an idea to set it up so my clients could assess for themselves how various DACs preform to their likes and dislikes … AND YES I KNOW THIS IS SUBJECTIVE … but aside from room interaction , you can absolutely judge the strengths and weaknesses , the likes and dislikes, the aesthetics … the different inputs , cabling effects , etc.

I loaded the rack with some single box heavy hitters and with a simple input change , clients can here for themselves .

The DACs at the moment -
Ideon Absolute Epsilon
Ypsilon 1000 SE
EMM DA 2 V2
Lampizator Horizon
T+A SD 3100 HV

So , if any of these are of an interestb, what would you like to know about these various players from my humble perspective .
That's an impressive combination of DACS! How cool is that to be able to listen to the various DACS in the same setting. Typically you don't see that array of components under one roof, let alone being able to listen to them...Very impressive!!

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
for my money;
You just described the Horizon.
The Mola Mola comes close for a lot less money.
There is loss the Pacifica.
The later is preferable if digital is not your primary source.
Caveat: There is a boatload of DACS I have not heard
What is the Lampizator built on the Horizon platform thats about $6k?? Was it the Baltic. Is it any good?

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
What is the Lampizator built on the Horizon platform thats about $6k?? Was it the Baltic. Is it any good?
Lampizator Horizon is the flagship at $50k.The Amber 4 is around $4k.Ron has the Baltic 4. There is a thread on that. I am not sure how much it cost.

charles1dad

VIP/Donor
Aug 22, 2021
Michigan, USA.
Hello folks

So I´m building a serious 2-channel system for a private client and when I was looking for a DAC that I wanted for myself 6months ago, I wanted the Holo Audio May.

I could not audition the May and still can´t but after reading up on reviews it seems like a good DAC that sound more "analog".

I always try and explain the philosophy on having a system that is leaning more towards a neutralsound, not something that makes all material have a sameness over it.

You could never mask a bad recording, but since most CDs out there are mediocre sounding, a DAC that is not overly bright and digital sounding is to prefer. The room will be treated to the best extent.

HoloAudio May KTE
1680993158387.png

d1-sublime DAC
1680993184124.png

Weiss dac 501
1680993215697.png

Lampizator Horizon DAC
1680993247803.png

Mola Mola Tambaqui
View attachment 107356
We are leaning towards a Taiko Extreme server as the source, with FLAC/WAV/DSD64-512 and SACD-files.

All feedback is welcome if you have compared, owned or have experience from any of these.
First of all I don’t believe that you could go wrong with any of the listed DAC candidates. Given the stated sonic priorities of the client and the ability to commit to the Taiko Extreme, it seems that the Horizon is a very compelling and formidable option.
I can’t envision disappointment with that music server and DAC pairing.
Charles

Reactions: Charlie B.

Colekat

Sep 7, 2015
Rehoboth, Massachusetts
That's an impressive combination of DACS! How cool is that to be able to listen to the various DACS in the same setting. Typically you don't see that array of components under one roof, let alone being able to listen to them...Very impressive!!
Hey John T … It is an impressive combination … and you would be surprised how close they resemble each other and then again how much they do not . I think I should start with saying , any one of the listed DACs I could personally live with ... they are all great sounding . They all have strengths and some do have subtle differences that a
make them exceptional when surrounded by great components and speakers . Great speakers will tell the truth ! These are the DACs that shine as the equipment around them shines .

Many times my clients will say that I had a certain $3000.00 DAC and I let them audition one of these DACs and they are surprised that there wasn't much difference … then we audition that same DAC in my system and they think they are hearing a whole different DAC … there has been a huge difference in SQ with these DACs over a mid priced one everytime !

Last edited:
Reactions: John T

Colekat

Sep 7, 2015
Rehoboth, Massachusetts
First of all I don’t believe that you could go wrong with any of the listed DAC candidates. Given the stated sonic priorities of the client and the ability to commit to the Taiko Extreme, it seems that the Horizon is a very compelling and formidable option.
I can’t envision disappointment with that music server and DAC pairing.
Charles
Well said Charles … I agree … but as I spend extended time listening with one DAC over another …. I am always pleased when I try a different one . The Horizon has the edge when it comes to an immersive soundstage … It is amazing , and with LampizatOR and Taiko being so closely affiliated, you can be assured it is a very synergistic combo … and many WBF members can attest to that . I was very pleased with the Taiko serving all these DACs … Ive heard the T+A and the Taiko and the Ypsilon with the Taiko they excell together … I am totally captivated with all three combos . The Taiko is as good of a piece to bring any system to a high enjoyment listening level as there is . DSD with the 3100 and the Taiko Extreme is sublime .

Reactions: John T

Yuen A.

Jan 4, 2018
… Get this out of the way … I am an audio enthusiast and represent several brands as a small shop owner in the Northeast … But this is strictly as an enthusiast . One cool thing about having a few audio rooms and a constant flow of clients , I get to change out components regularly . Its a mazing how effected the sound is when these changes get made … you know , sell one component , fill that void with another piece , DAC , transport , cables, power cords , speakers , etc . you get the drift ! A lot goes into really assessing those changes , how long do you let new changes settle in , especially with speakers , so much goes into placement and wearing in drivers , maybe changing cables … or whatever .

So , I had an idea to set it up so my clients could assess for themselves how various DACs preform to their likes and dislikes … AND YES I KNOW THIS IS SUBJECTIVE … but aside from room interaction , you can absolutely judge the strengths and weaknesses , the likes and dislikes, the aesthetics … the different inputs , cabling effects , etc. Source at the moment is T+A Transport and Aurender W20 SE .

I loaded the rack with some single box heavy hitters and with a simple input change , clients can hear for themselves .

The DACs at the moment -
Ideon Absolute Epsilon
Ypsilon 1000 SE
EMM DA 2 V2
Lampizator Horizon
T+A SD 3100 HV

So , if any of these are of an interest , what would you like to know about these various players from my humble perspective .

Hi, First of all, thank you very much for offering to share your perspective on all these DACs! What are the sonic differences between the Ideon Absolute Epsilon and the EMM Labs DA2 V2 and the Ypsilon 1000 SE and the EMM Labs DA2 V2? Thank you!

fast.freight

Jul 30, 2022
Hello folks

HoloAudio May KTE
1680993158387.png

d1-sublime DAC
1680993184124.png

Weiss dac 501
1680993215697.png

Lampizator Horizon DAC
1680993247803.png

Mola Mola Tambaqui
View attachment 107356

fast.freight

Jul 30, 2022
The Tambaqui is the top of my DAC food chain, but I have no heard your other options. For me it replaced PS Audio DS and then an Auralic Vega G2. No comparison there. I have run the Tambaqui first by itself, then with an Auralic Aries G2.1. This was clearly better. Then I modded the Aries with a Sean Jacobs PS. Much better. Now I have the Grimm mu1 and better still, and a much more elegant implementation. The Grimm replaced my Nucleus+, Aires G 2.1 and the SJ power supply. I bet all of your options sound great.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019

The DACs at the moment -
Ideon Absolute Epsilon
Ypsilon 1000 SE
EMM DA 2 V2
Lampizator Horizon
T+A SD 3100 HV

Like reading a book and finding the last page was torn out.

b345t

May 10, 2020

The DACs at the moment -
Ideon Absolute Epsilon
Ypsilon 1000 SE
EMM DA 2 V2
Lampizator Horizon
T+A SD 3100 HV

If you have the time and willingness to do so, I am sure many of us would like to hear your opinion on the strength/weaknesses of the mentioned DACs, as well as maybe some synergistic/non synergistic pairings you have found.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

The DACs at the moment -
Ideon Absolute Epsilon
Ypsilon 1000 SE
EMM DA 2 V2
Lampizator Horizon
T+A SD 3100 HV

you might want to add the Lampi GG3 into the mix.

Colekat

Sep 7, 2015
Rehoboth, Massachusetts
Like reading a book and finding the last page was torn out.
Lol … Im trying to start a conversation … I could say this one is warm and that one is dark and the other one is forward and this one is mid seat , etc. …. the point is the DACs are the most important piece in the digital chain … these are all great , all better when surrounded with better components … and when they are surrounded with excellent components , they all excel … especially over cheaper mid priced DACs …

“grandsoir “ Opened this post and asked if there are any suggestions , he intends to use a Taiko Extreme Server

… My point is , we all have our opinions … and Grandsoir I do not agree that CDs are inferior , when using a great transport and in a good system , CDs can put the performers in the room like any good source … of course , bad media , bad sound quality … A great streamer , like the Taiko Extreme can also bring life to digital media … Its all relative to the pieces in the chain , the collaboration with the room and your own personal taste … I was listening to Miles Kind of Blue , Ideon Absolute DAC with Reclocker , both with the Aurender W20 SE 44.1 and on the CD with the T+A 3100 Transport …. Both were exceptional , live in the room trumpet to the left 10 O ‘Clock , Sax to the right 2 O ‘Clock … Stunningly real , both instruments were plush , full , the decay was spot on , the timbre beautiful … BUT the detail was sublime , I swear I could hear their eyes flickering … I was drawn to the performance, glued to my chair … I was thankful that I have the opportunity to listen to music at such a high enjoyment level … Thats the real difference … I enjoy the music more when its played back at such a high level …

… And I enjoy listening to that CD on any system … just more a well executed one !

Colekat

Sep 7, 2015
Rehoboth, Massachusetts
you might want to add the Lampi GG3 into the mix.
I truly believe any LampizatOR DAC will bring enjoyment to the mix … all LampizatOR DACs seem to get the emotion variable right … just the Horizon brings it all to life .

Reactions: christoph

Colekat

Sep 7, 2015
Rehoboth, Massachusetts
If you have the time and willingness to do so, I am sure many of us would like to hear your opinion on the strength/weaknesses of the mentioned DACs, as well as maybe some synergistic/non synergistic pairings you have found.
Will do …

John T

Feb 15, 2022
Lol … Im trying to start a conversation … I could say this one is warm and that one is dark and the other one is forward and this one is mid seat , etc. …. the point is the DACs are the most important piece in the digital chain … these are all great , all better when surrounded with better components … and when they are surrounded with excellent components , they all excel … especially over cheaper mid priced DACs …

“grandsoir “ Opened this post and asked if there are any suggestions , he intends to use a Taiko Extreme Server

… My point is , we all have our opinions … and Grandsoir I do not agree that CDs are inferior , when using a great transport and in a good system , CDs can put the performers in the room like any good source … of course , bad media , bad sound quality … A great streamer , like the Taiko Extreme can also bring life to digital media … Its all relative to the pieces in the chain , the collaboration with the room and your own personal taste … I was listening to Miles Kind of Blue , Ideon Absolute DAC with Reclocker , both with the Aurender W20 SE 44.1 and on the CD with the T+A 3100 Transport …. Both were exceptional , live in the room trumpet to the left 10 O ‘Clock , Sax to the right 2 O ‘Clock … Stunningly real , both instruments were plush , full , the decay was spot on , the timbre beautiful … BUT the detail was sublime , I swear I could hear their eyes flickering … I was drawn to the performance, glued to my chair … I was thankful that I have the opportunity to listen to music at such a high enjoyment level … Thats the real difference … I enjoy the music more when its played back at such a high level …

… And I enjoy listening to that CD on any system … just more a well executed one !
Yea its not often someone like yourself has this echelon of gear under one roof...

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
I don't agree. The DAC is an important piece, but as you note, it relies on the rest.of the infrastruce to do its work properly.
… My point is , we all have our opinions … and Grandsoir I do not agree that CDs are inferior , when using a great transport and in a good system , CDs can put the performers in the room like any good source … of course , bad media , bad sound quality … A great streamer , like the Taiko Extreme can also bring life to digital media … Its all relative to the pieces in the chain
The whole CD vs server is its own can of worms.

I have in the past bounced through DAC. At one level they all were about the same. Subtle difference. Then I hit another level and it blew the rest out of the game. I have no idea if there is another threshold. Or is it more of the same, just more, or different.

What I have found is preamps, speakers, amps and sources all have a profound influence. No one is bigger than the other. In some sence, its important to have a balance between them all. If any one piece is far beyond the others in performance, you won't experience all it has to offer until the rest are in the same league.

Reactions: yyzSB

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing