'Malletoba Spank'--reference cut

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Great news for you Bruce. I guess it's just the luck of the draw.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
That's a big box Bruce! What else was in there? :)

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Nothing else... unfortunately. I can say they were packed extremely well.

Certainly looks like it! I love ordering from AudioBasics here in Toronto. Their packaging is topnotch, so you never have to worry about transport damage.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Certainly looks like it! I love ordering from AudioBasics here in Toronto. Their packaging is topnotch, so you never have to worry about transport damage.

Slightly OT but the packaging used by Acoustics Sounds, Elusive Disc, Music Direct, MMJ and Soundstage Direct is so sturdy you could drive a tank over it!

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
My 33 came today (still haven't found the 6 eye). I may fire it up later tonite, thunder storms predicted Saturday and Sunday (lot's of those lately, and i hate pulling power, b/c the line stage really takes along time to come on juice).

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Slightly OT but the packaging used by Acoustics Sounds, Elusive Disc, Music Direct, MMJ and Soundstage Direct is so sturdy you could drive a tank over it!
Ever met the parcel delivery people in Rockland County? I had ordered an old record from overseas. It came during one of those torrential rain storms a couple weeks ago. The lazy mailman just left it stuck on the outside of the mailbox in the pourin' down rain. And don't get me started on UPS. The only guys i like are Fedex, at least when they see you on the front porch waiting they stop kicking the box, pick it up and behave. :)

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Whart-You probably missed my thread from the past where I bought a NM album from the UK and my hillbilly mailman actually rolled the damn thing up like a newspaper and stuffed into my rural mailbox because he was too lazy to walk up to my door. The package was clearly marked "Fragile," "LP," and "Do Not Bend." I called the Postmaster and complained, but there was nothing he could do because the package wasn't insured. Having an idiot mailman destroy your property comes with no repurcussions for the post office.

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
Whart-You probably missed my thread from the past where I bought a NM album from the UK and my hillbilly mailman actually rolled the damn thing up like a newspaper and stuffed into my rural mailbox because he was too lazy to walk up to my door. The package was clearly marked "Fragile," "LP," and "Do Not Bend." I called the Postmaster and complained, but there was nothing he could do because the package wasn't insured. Having an idiot mailman destroy your property comes with no repurcussions for the post office.

Wow. I thought my mailman was lame when he was too lazy to come to the door. He would leave a note in my mailbox to pick up the package at the post office even though I was home. At least he is not destroying them.:p I have caught him trying to pull that a couple of times. I have him trained now.:)

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
There is a good reason why they are going out of business. I had to go pick up a package at our local post office recently. First, they don't have a listed phone number; second, the woman at the desk was not just full of attitude, you could tell everything was a major effort, and she was just doing her job, or going through the motions. She denied she had the package, then when i showed her the card confirming that it was there, it was an eye roll, a big sigh, and a hold on a minute. That took ten minutes. When she finally got back to her side of the desk with my package, I asked her if I could buy some stamps. Another big sigh. Another 'why are you bothering me' vibe. She got the stamps out. Then, she couldn't make change. She had to borrow money from the cashier in the next cubby. Not from the cash drawer- from the other cashier's purse. No wonder American corporations go overseas for labor.

vinylphilemag

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Kelowna, BC
www.vinylphilemag.com
Even the original, at least mine, is messed up and there's definite groove distortion going on. :(

Bummer. The versions I have here--including the EMI Centennial edition--are good (though there is some evidence of tape overload when the Tubular Bells get whacked). *Shrug* That being said, it's been a while since I last listened to the other pressings...

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Well, i guess you could resell it on e-bay as VG+ :)

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I did take it to work so show people I know so they could get a big hee-haw out of it. I think I actually took some pictures of the LP and posted them on this forum. They are here somewhere.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Jesus! What a good recording. Made when? 1958? I'm listening to the 33 version of the Classic 200 g record- it sounds terrific. I understand why Mike uses 'Spank' as a reference cut- there is so much going on! It is a little 'spectacular' in the Bob and Ray sense, but as I listen to the rest of the record, it is a hell of a performance- the different horns with distinctly different voices, the cymbals sound very natural, and the percussive elements are lightening fast. More later. Cool record.
(Now if I can only find that original pressing somewhere in the house....which probably won't be as quiet as this one). Too bad Classic fell off a cliff on QC. They made some wonderful records.

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
Jesus! What a good recording. Made when? 1958? I'm listening to the 33 version of the Classic 200 g record- it sounds terrific. I understand why Mike uses 'Spank' as a reference cut- there is so much going on! It is a little 'spectacular' in the Bob and Ray sense, but as I listen to the rest of the record, it is a hell of a performance- the different horns with distinctly different voices, the cymbals sound very natural, and the percussive elements are lightening fast. More later. Cool record.
(Now if I can only find that original pressing somewhere in the house....which probably won't be as quiet as this one). Too bad Classic fell off a cliff on QC. They made some wonderful records.

Cool. I'm suppose to recieve my 180g version today.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing