Make way, the big boy is here.

Scott W

Apr 20, 2010
Texas
www.suprahifi.com
Yes, its heavy...108kg, 238 lbs! I can think of only the Boulder 3060 and the massive D'Agostino Relentless which are substantially heavier. Roughly double again I think!
It does require three people to move it.

twitch

Jun 17, 2010
SE Pa
and here I thought you were talking about the 'real' Big Boy !

• Haha
Reactions: Scott W

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
I think is was Nelson Pass that made the statement that for a class A amplifier it is going to weight at least 1 pound per watt of output.

It does a great job of holding down the front half of the room and no heater needed in the winter months. :)

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I think is was Nelson Pass that made the statement that for a class A amplifier it is going to weight at least 1 pound per watt of output.

It does a great job of holding down the front half of the room and no heater needed in the winter months. :)
Yes for the Mephisto, that is 1.36lbs per Class A watt.

tobiasrankin

Mar 7, 2020
Yes, its heavy...108kg, 238 lbs! I can think of only the Boulder 3060 and the massive D'Agostino Relentless which are substantially heavier. Roughly double again I think!
Boulder sends some engineer guy to your house to ensure your floor wont break.

Scott W

Apr 20, 2010
Texas
www.suprahifi.com
The big boy now has a throne.

WVOZ0893.JPG NDLR6935.JPG

Reactions: Mikem53 and ack

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Trust
I bet that was a seriously heavy lift getting it up on that ‘throne’
Trust me...I hoisted the Gryphon onto Stillpoints Ultra 6s myself.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Trust

Trust me...I hoisted the Gryphon onto Stillpoints Ultra 6s myself.
Congratulations!
I trust you are still OK.
I keep debating whether to replace the Ultra 5s under my Vitus 030 with Centre Stage 1.5s or Ultra 6s.
Any thoughts?

Scott W

Apr 20, 2010
Texas
www.suprahifi.com
Last edited:
Reactions: Mdp632

Scott W

Apr 20, 2010
Texas
www.suprahifi.com
I bet that was a seriously heavy lift getting it up on that ‘throne’
Todd would know as he was one of three doing the heavy lifting.

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
@Scott W Is that a custom Artesania amp stand?
Gryphon now makes racks and stands. The amp stand the Mephisto is sitting on is made by Gryphon for the Mephisto. They also have one for the Antileon EVO. Each is made to fit that specific amp.

Reactions: Mdp632 and Scott W

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Congratulations!
I trust you are still OK.
I keep debating whether to replace the Ultra 5s under my Vitus 030 with Centre Stage 1.5s or Ultra 6s.
Any thoughts?
Hi Barry2013,

There are a few observations of both isolation designs I made repeatedly across various pieces of equipment.
- Relative to combining an HRS Nimbus Coupler with an Ultra 5 vs an Ultra 5 by itself...I found that I preferred the combination because the Ultra 5 by itself lost some element of depth of tonal color and actual 'midrange weight' (think Middle C) which I struggled with relative to all the benefits which were in clarity, definition of musical lines and the ability to differentiate different sections of music (orchestral for example), treble clarity, extension and also bass clarity/delineation
- That combination has stood the test of time for close to 10 years
- When I substituted the Ultra 6 in that scenario, I found that the clarity improved even further which was a nice uptick...but it was actually in the ease, naturalness of that midrange that I really liked it better than the Ultra 5s. I STILL prefer the HRS Nimbus Coupler with the Ultra 6...but I did not feel that burning need as much, and it was as much because I already owned the HRS as because I prefer the combination that I currently still use both together

The only exception is the amp and sub where the weight (238lbs + 20+lbs of damping plates for the amp and closer to 300lbs for the sub incl damping) precluded the use of HRS Nimbus Couplers.

Because the Gryphon is exceedingly well designed all the way thru the feet, the Ultra 6s make a nice improvement but it was the LEAST 'must have' results in comparison to all the other pieces of equipment. The only exception is the new Robert Koda K15EX...which i just put straight onto isolation because I did not wish to both...so I dont know before/after effects of Isolation with the Robert Koda K15EX.

Last edited:

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Hi Barry2013,

There are a few observations of both isolation designs I made repeatedly across various pieces of equipment.
- Relative to combining an HRS Nimbus Coupler with an Ultra 5 vs an Ultra 5 by itself...I found that I preferred the combination because the Ultra 5 by itself lost some element of depth of tonal color and actual 'weight' which I struggled with relative to all the benefits which were in clarity, definition of musical lines and the ability to differentiate different sections of music (orchestral for example)
- That combination has stood the test of time for close to 10 years
- When I substituted the Ultra 6 in that scenario, I found that the clarity improved which was a nice uptick...but it was actually in the ease, naturalness of that midrange that I really liked better. I STILL prefer the HRS Nimbus Coupler with the Ultra 6...but I did not feel that burning need as much, and it was as much because I already owned the HRS as because I prefer the combination that I currently still use both together

The only exception is the amp and sub where the weight (238lbs + 20+lbs of damping plates for the amp and closer to 300lbs for the sub incl damping) precluded the use of HRS Nimbus Couplers.

Because the Gryphon is exceedingly well designed all the way thru the feet, the Ultra 6s make a nice improvement but it was the LEAST 'must have' results in comparison to all the other pieces of equipment. The only exception is the new Robert Koda K15EX...i just put it straight onto isolation.
Thank you Lloyd.
That is helpful.
Enjoy the music.
Best
Barry

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Greer South Carolina (USA)
Beautiful amplifier!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Yes sir. I am getting some hours on it before I give it a serious listen, but right out of the crate, it was WOW!
Hi Scott,

Hope you are continuing to enjoy your magnificent Mephisto! I just PM'd you about something when you get a minute. Thank you!

Scott W

Apr 20, 2010
Texas
www.suprahifi.com
The stand does give the Mephisto another level of cool factor, but when I went back and looked at the first picture it reminded me of the Jawa Sand crawler from Star Wars :)

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing