Magnepan needs your help

josh358

Jan 25, 2012
Magnepan needs your help.

Are you willing to publicly give your feedback of Magnepan's proposed new speaker concept? Below are the cities and dates of select cities for the first tour to hear public opinions. Instead of filling out focus group forms or giving information to Magnepan's representatives at the demonstration, Magnepan is encouraging public debate. (Negative feedback can be just as valuable as positive feedback.)

If you are interested in hearing this speaker concept, it is critical that your dealer have your contact information. Winter storms could cause a delay of the tour.

Chicago-- Quintessence Audio, Wednesday, December 11th
Toronto-- Audio Excellence, Saturday, December 14th
Pittsburgh-- Butch's Sound and Vision, Monday, December 16th
Northern New Jersey (Verona)-- Audio Connection, Wednesday, December 18th

- Wendell Diller, Magnepan

Reactions: Duke LeJeune

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Greer South Carolina (USA)
It would help to know some details of what concept you are referring to.....

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Proof is in the pudding.

josh358

Jan 25, 2012
Already sent it on to them. They'd actually been contemplating something like that for the new speaker. But cosmetics are still up in the air, it's one of the things they want input for from the people who attend the demos (and Wendell is hoping that more women show up than usually do, since their opinion is the only one that counts I mean is important too.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
(and Wendell is hoping that more women show up than usually do, since their opinion is the only one that counts I mean is important too.

My wife picked out her OWN Maggies.... She spoke to Wendell at Definitive, telling him how proud she is of her speakers!

HughP3

VIP/Donor
Apr 25, 2019
Good for Magnepan and hope they continue to succeed. I loved my 20.7 punched way above the price.

Reactions: josh358

Duke LeJeune

[Industry Expert]/Member Sponsor
Jul 22, 2013
Princeton, Texas
Yep, it's their "30.7 for small rooms" -- two 12" wide planar panels and two(?) compact dipole woofers.

Good for Magnepan!!

For years I wanted very much to become a Maggie dealer, was getting my ducks in a row and got derailed by a fire. Anyway I love Maggies and have owned five pairs.

One of the challenges in a small room would be, what (if anything) to do about the backwave when the panels must be placed fairly close to the front wall. Wish they were coming to my neck of the woods, I'd try to sneak a peak around back!

josh358

Jan 25, 2012
Good for Magnepan!!

For years I wanted very much to become a Maggie dealer, was getting my ducks in a row and got derailed by a fire. Anyway I love Maggies and have owned five pairs.

One of the challenges in a small room would be, what (if anything) to do about the backwave when the panels must be placed fairly close to the front wall. Wish they were coming to my neck of the woods, I'd try to sneak a peak around back!
That is a problem. The best solution I know is to put diffusion at the first reflection points between the speakers -- but not everyone wants diffusers in their living room!

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
That is a problem. The best solution I know is to put diffusion at the first reflection points between the speakers -- but not everyone wants diffusers in their living room!

No design pleases all.

josh358

Jan 25, 2012
No design pleases all.
True 'nuf, and there are always going to be some rooms and people for whom a planar just isn't the best solution. However, I'd forgotten another trick, the one they use for their on-wall speakers -- just put the speakers against the wall and angle them in, so that the backwave goes skittering off to the sides.

Duke LeJeune

Jul 22, 2013
Princeton, Texas
True 'nuf, and there are always going to be some rooms and people for whom a planar just isn't the best solution. However, I'd forgotten another trick, the one they use for their on-wall speakers -- just put the speakers against the wall and angle them in, so that the backwave goes skittering off to the sides.

I have often used bushy plants as diffusion to break up those first reflection zones on the front wall, then sufficient toe-in to avoid the same-side side walls.

But aggressive toe-in alone might work just as well, and minimize real estate usage too.

josh358

Jan 25, 2012
I have often used bushy plants as diffusion to break up those first reflection zones on the front wall, then sufficient toe-in to avoid the same-side side walls.

But aggressive toe-in alone might work just as well, and minimize real estate usage too.
Plants are a good idea. Some guys have used fake ficus trees, though I assume they have to be some distance from the wall for that to work.

Duke LeJeune

Jul 22, 2013
Princeton, Texas
Plants are a good idea. Some guys have used fake ficus trees, though I assume they have to be some distance from the wall for that to work.

Yup, a pair of fake ficus trees was usually my weapon of choice. They'd often end up close to the wall which seemed to work fine, just as long as the ficus intercepted the early-arrival part of the wall bounce.

Reactions: CKKeung

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing