Magnepan needs your help

josh358

Jan 25, 2012
I've always wondered how well those work. It might be useful for me -- I have a window behind my speakers and I hate blocking it with diffusers.

Reactions: Duke LeJeune

Duke LeJeune

[Industry Expert]/Member Sponsor
Jul 22, 2013
Princeton, Texas
I've always wondered how well those work. It might be useful for me -- I have a window behind my speakers and I hate blocking it with diffusers.

All you have to do is intercept the parts of the first reflections which are headed towards the sweet spot.

Sit in the sweet spot and have an assistant place a mirror up against the wall, and move it around until you see either the front or the back of Maggie in the mirror. That's where the reflection happens. Place the fake Ficus (or its functional equivalent) someplace where it will block your view of Maggie - and it doesn't have to be exactly at the reflection spot if that happens to be impractical.

If you don't have a mirror and an assistant, use your imagination and you can probably judge where the reflection spots are pretty well.

The idea is, to prevent strong distinct ("specular") early reflections, as those are the ones most likely to have negative effects.

In general I prefer diffusion to absorption because diffusion doesn't mess with the spectral balance of the reverberant energy. Absorption is more effective at short wavelengths than at longer ones and correspondingly tends to alter the spectral balance of the reflections quite a bit, which imo is generally not a good idea.

Reactions: josh358

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Greer South Carolina (USA)

josh358

Jan 25, 2012
All you have to do is intercept the parts of the first reflections which are headed towards the sweet spot.

Sit in the sweet spot and have an assistant place a mirror up against the wall, and move it around until you see either the front or the back of Maggie in the mirror. That's where the reflection happens. Place the fake Ficus (or its functional equivalent) someplace where it will block your view of Maggie - and it doesn't have to be exactly at the reflection spot if that happens to be impractical.

If you don't have a mirror and an assistant, use your imagination and you can probably judge where the reflection spots are pretty well.

The idea is, to prevent strong distinct ("specular") early reflections, as those are the ones most likely to have negative effects.

In general I prefer diffusion to absorption because diffusion doesn't mess with the spectral balance of the reverberant energy. Absorption is more effective at short wavelengths than at longer ones and correspondingly tends to alter the spectral balance of the reflections quite a bit, which imo is generally not a good idea.
That I've done -- the problem is that when I put a diffuser there, it blocks the window (midrange/tweeter panels are on the inside): PANO_20170803_212114.jpg
Versus
PANO_20190703_183725.vr (1).jpg
I like having the window because I've taken to doing a lot of my work on the small computer monitor in the second photo so I can listen to music while I work.

I could certainly fit a couple of ficus trees in there, though I'd have to move them out of the way when I use the video projector (which, however, I'm hoping to move to another room).

Reactions: TitaniumTroy

TitaniumTroy

Jan 11, 2011
South Bend IN
Your system is really looking good Josh, including the projection screen tv.

I took a couple of days off, so I can take my time on the drive back. I'll be attending the December 11th event, at Quintessence Audio. Really looking forward to hearing the Condo Mag's, seeing their size factor is small maybe I can get Wendell to swap them into the "tweets in" position, haha:;>

Quintessence Audio is in Morton Grove IL, which Google maps says is 15.9 miles and 33 minutes from Chicago. It also says I was there 4 yrs ago, forgot it was that long ago. I went to hear some of the Magico line of speakers, I think that I ended up preferring the Sonus Faber speakers.

Some more reviews:
https://www.hifiplus.com/articles/coming-soon-maybe-magnepans-compact-307-for-condos/
https://www.dagogo.com/magnepan-lrs-speakers-review/

Reactions: josh358

josh358

Jan 25, 2012
Your system is really looking good Josh, including the projection screen tv.

I took a couple of days off, so I can take my time on the drive back. I'll be attending the December 11th event, at Quintessence Audio. Really looking forward to hearing the Condo Mag's, seeing their size factor is small maybe I can get Wendell to swap them into the "tweets in" position, haha:;>

Quintessence Audio is in Morton Grove IL, which Google maps says is 15.9 miles and 33 minutes from Chicago. It also says I was there 4 yrs ago, forgot it was that long ago. I went to hear some of the Magico line of speakers, I think that I ended up preferring the Sonus Faber speakers.

Some more reviews:
https://www.hifiplus.com/articles/coming-soon-maybe-magnepans-compact-307-for-condos/
https://www.dagogo.com/magnepan-lrs-speakers-review/
Thanks Troy -- it was looking better then than it is now, it's all ripped apart because I had to have the ceiling repaired! I think I'll move the amps to the right when I put everything back together, and try the new Vicoustic diffusers. But that's not going to happen for a while, since there are more renovations to be done.

Anyway, jealous that you'll get to hear them before me! :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing