Magico Vs YG Acoustics

TitaniumTroy

Jan 11, 2011
South Bend IN
First off this is not a Troll post, as I really like both speaker companies.

Just wondering what are the pro and cons, and the difference's in design philosophy and goals. By the way, I have read a lot of YG's literature so I somewhat more familiar with them. I do like their published measurements, to better understand why they feel the their speakers are superior. Not trying saying they are, just mentioning it.

Just to keep it more simple let's keep the discussion to both brands top of the line speakers.

Thanks,
Troy

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
I'm not sure what your situation is but you should probably consider a few more as well. I prefer YG for sure. But I think there's other options that will be interesting in the near future. I'm always in the market for new gear. I've gone through a lot of boxes. The YGs have stayed for more than three years. I've bluntly told Yoav that I haven't sold my YGs yet because I can't find anything better. I'm not emotionally attached to gear. So, if there IS something I encounter that's better, I'll get it. I think Yoav understands loudspeaker design at a very high level. If you have any knowledge concerning the common trade offs loudspeaker designers go through when they design a speaker, you should ask Yoav. He's one of the few really smart people in this business who will engage questions at a very high level. I've even challenged him on certain design choices and I've learned a lot from his responses. If you are willing to listen, he's a very smart dude to learn from. Having said that, I personally think DSP crossovers offer the greatest chance for a big advance in speaker design, if done right. Unfortunately, buyers like me will need to look at new brands to find the best implementations with DSP speakers. If I was in the market for a new pair, I'd wait another year before buying.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
I've had auditions of both recently, and in fact had the YG Carmels in my own home.

I think they are of similar house sound, but that YG has a smoother top end (current ones, not the former models which I found bright) and maybe a bit more open sounding. The YGs seemed to disappear more in the demos I've heard, no doubt due to the narrower baffle.

Alpinist

Jun 17, 2014
USA
Hi Troy,

About seven months ago I auditioned both the YG Hailey and the Magico S5. I listened to both speakers for several hours. The Hailey was driven by Soulution 541/520/501 and the Magico S5 was driven by Absolare electronics. In my opinion, both speakers had a similar presentation, low distortion, tight bass, solid midrange and nice soundstage. I found that the Hailey's bass had more weight and slam than the S5. But I honestly found the tweeters on both speakers to be somewhat edgy, which was a deal breaker for me. I ended up purchasing Raidho D3's. Their ribbon tweeter is the best I've yet heard. Midrange and imaging were so lifelike, they just captivated me. I believe when the diamond-coated beryllium tweeter and graphene midrange technology trickles down to all of Magico's S models, their treble and midrange will be materially improved. I would hold out for these upgrades if I were considering Magico.

Ken

slcaudiophile

Nov 6, 2014
Um ... SLC?
First off this is not a Troll post, as I really like both speaker companies.

Just wondering what are the pro and cons, and the difference's in design philosophy and goals. By the way, I have read a lot of YG's literature so I somewhat more familiar with them. I do like their published measurements, to better understand why they feel the their speakers are superior. Not trying saying they are, just mentioning it.

Just to keep it more simple let's keep the discussion to both brands top of the line speakers.

Thanks,
Troy

depends on size of room and what you want. both speaker designs sound fantastic but there are lots of other variables you may want to consider.

regardless, what is most important is you listen to both and buy the one that is best for you. you may find you don't like the sound of these designs at all. but if your goal is to hear what is on the recording then either speaker design will move you closer to that goal.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
I also think both lines are superb. At recent shows I've been much more impressed by YG than Magico, whereas 3 or 4 years ago I found YG's too bright.

If I were shopping for speakers today, YG would be at the top of my list.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing