Magico Q7

at 44k, the upgrade path is a very nice value proposition. Basically, you pay just the difference between Mk1 and MK2 version and get your speaker upgraded to latest version. A good deal given that upgrade will require a complete dismantle and re-machining of a front plate...
I would assume most Q7 owners would go for it - the sound improvement from new tweeter, mid-range driver and Supreme Evo caps is not minor. the tweeter in particular is just amazing in its ability to disappear.

at 44k, the upgrade path is a very nice value proposition. Basically, you pay just the difference between Mk1 and MK2 version and get your speaker upgraded to latest version. A good deal given that upgrade will require a complete dismantle and re-machining of a front plate...
I would assume most Q7 owners would go for it - the sound improvement from new tweeter, mid-range driver and Supreme Evo caps is not minor. the tweeter in particular is just amazing in its ability to disappear.

I wonder how practical to send two boxes of Q7 -each weighs 340-350kg before packaging- to Magico factory especially if overseas?

I wonder how practical to send two boxes of Q7 -each weighs 340-350kg before packaging- to Magico factory especially if overseas?
you have a better solution... like building a machine shop in your garage? :confused:

May be by sending only the faceplate, then your local dealer will do the job to upgrade the new cross over and seal the new faceplate at home...

Why has the Mk2 gone up 44k or 24% from the Mk1?

Can't be the $US as its gone up against all currencies, so price has actually gone up more than 44k

Price appreciation is rampant in hi end audio. :D

Why has the Mk2 gone up 44k from the Mk1?

protects the value of the current Q7 owners to some small degree......and reduces blowback. a current Q7 owner can now sell his Q7's with the new owner being able to do that upgrade.

if you had purchased Q7's how would you feel if there was a significant change at the same price? you would then demand that change for free. and the heat would be on the dealers big time.

now the Mk1 owners get some 'value' for their $44k, and if you could afford $185k.....or whatever they paid....they can afford the $44k to get current tech.

Magico had no choice.

the cost to build the Mk2 is pretty much the same. it's a marketing issue. and I'm not dissing Magico here, they did the right thing if they are changing the product. we can argue all day as to the need to change the product, what might have been 'wrong' or 'lacking' in an $185k speaker system to begin with, and why they did it.

another choice would be to do an under the radar production change, but with the 'M' having 'better tech' Magico had painted themselves into a corner.

Last edited:
protects the value of the current Q7 owners to some small degree......and reduces blowback.

if you had purchased Q7's how would you feel if there was a significant change at the same price? you would then demand that change for free. and the heat would be on the dealers big time.

they had no choice.

the cost to build the Mk2 is pretty much the same. it's a marketing issue.

Agree Mike, its BS

You are in the car industry. If they used this hi end hifi logic of putting up car prices by 24% for every new model, the car industry would go bankrupt.

nobody cares that your car has been superceeded and worth less on the used market - why should hifi be any different?.

Why is it accepted in the hifi industry?

oh btw, how would I feel if I owned the Q7 mk1 and could buy an greatly improved Mk2 at the same price - I would be happy. If I wanted to upgrade it for 44k or sell it and buy a new one, that would be my choice.

Didn't the Q7 come out in 2012 at $165,000? I don't recall when it went to $185,000 but $165k to $229k in under 3 years seems a bit much to me.

protects the value of the current Q7 owners to some small degree......and reduces blowback.

now the Mk1 owners get some 'value' for their $44k, and if you could afford $185.....or whatever they paid....they can afford the $44k to get current tech.

Magico had no choice.

the cost to build the Mk2 is pretty much the same. it's a marketing issue.

On the fist bold quote: They do

On the second. I entirely agree with you.

We, audiophiles have proven that we can bear the elevated prices. We have proven that we are compliant. I don't think there is group of enthusiasts more adept at fabricating excuses and rationalizations for manufacturers, even those that are not their favorite. Two years from now there will be a Magico 8 and it will be at least $400K while the Ultimate will be upgraded to a Mark V with a price tag north of $700K ..Improvements likely in the form of integrated woofer towers . Mark my words :).

Still think the Q7 is one of the finest speaker out there ... Would love to hear a "M". Would travel to do so.

Because there are enough willing buyers to pay the premium and like all rational agents in a free market economy Magico does not want to leave money on the table. If Honda pulled this stunt, people would simply buy a Toyota. Most people that are committed to the Magico brand won't switch to Wilson because of pricing. In ultra high end audio, there is high products and brands differentiation and low price elasticity of demand in economic speak.

Because there are enough willing buyers to pay the premium and like all rational agents in a free market economy Magico does not want to leave money on the table. If Honda pulled this stunt, people would simply buy a Toyota. Most people that are committed to the Magico brand won't switch to Wilson because of pricing. In ultra high end audio, there is high products and brands differentiation and low price elasticity of demand in economic speak.

I agree.

That is when I'll jump in. I really try to avoid cheap speaker like the 7 MKII.

:D

LOL

Agree Mike, its BS

You are in the car industry. If they used this hi end hifi logic of putting up car prices by 24% for every new model, the car industry would go bankrupt.

nobody cares that your car has been superceeded and worth less on the used market - why should hifi be any different?.

the car business it totally different on this subject. when a car manufacturer invests in an upgrade to a particular model, they must project it's volume to amortize the (typically 2-3 billion dollar cost) over the lifespan of that model. and this volume is very sensitive to price. if a Honda Accord sells 1.3-1.5 million over it's 5 year cycle then it is very profitable and the market share is protected. so price and market share are equally valuable. if they raise the price to cream the profit but lose market share then eventually that will change everything. both are critical to get economies of scale and amortize continued research, product development, and capital investments.

they have to get it fully right the first time, every time or hell will pay.

there many smart people who make their living predicting the annual auto sales numbers because so much is depending on it. it's at least 15-20% or more of our economy.

because they cannot see over the next small hill. the marketplace for high end audio is so unpredictable that there must be an immediate return and nothing is long term. even the dealers or marketing is all over the board. there is no rudder deep in the water of a huge consistent market. just observe the shakeout of high end companies whenever there is a downturn in the economy. only the strong (or light-footed) survive since the market expands and contrasts so severely. it why now so many products are sold direct, with very small footprints and low overhead. the high end industry is at the tail end of the economy and will be among the first to feel consumer reluctance or panic.

oh btw, how would I feel if I owned the Q7 mk1 and could buy an greatly improved Mk2 at the same price - I would be happy. If I wanted to upgrade it for 44k or sell it and buy a new one, that would be my choice.

no; you would be pissed off big time if they changed your $185k speaker but not the price and you were left holding the bag. you would demand the change for free. i'll bet Magico dealers were taking heat for the 'higher tech' of the 'M' and this drove this decision to some degree. at lower price points brick and mortar marketed high end speakers do this all the time. and they just expect that the customers will upgrade. but with their flagship speaker a little more sensitivity is required or those 'whales' will leave the brand and not return. it's just how different price points work. look at Wilson and all the upgrades to their top of line speakers, and brand loyalty.

Last edited:
EVERYTHING gets superseded by a newer/better model.

Most people are weak and can't stand the thought of that, so the manufacturers raise the price to help them feel better about their newly obsolete purchase.

Last edited:
Didn't the Q7 come out in 2012 at $165,000? I don't recall when it went to $185,000 but $165k to $229k in under 3 years seems a bit much to me.

Yes that was the original price 1 of the audiophile in Malaysia bought it for ie retail usd165k

Most people are weak and can't stand the thought of that, so the manufacturers raise the price to help them feel better about their newly obsolete purchase.

The driving force of the high end industry is an obsessive compulsive disorder of man in the 40-70 age range with a significant surplus of discretionary funds on their hands. This dictates some very unique and interesting marketing strategies.

So true.

The driving force of the high end industry is an obsessive compulsive disorder of man in the 40-70 age range with a significant surplus of discretionary funds on their hands. This dictates some very unique and interesting marketing strategies.

Damn! Edorr do you have to come up all the time with such truths?? No better way to put it. Can I use it in my signature? :).

Oh and Please I know I am not immune. I recently had to try a very expensive headphone cable after a freind told me how good it was .. Quickly returned it since I could not hear any difference and that from a person who is supposed to be a non-believer in cables affairs ... Obsessive Compulsive behavior ? You bet :eek:

the very same with boats, planes, cars, watches, wine, and women.....etc. etc.

the constant is the discretionary income, not the age.

I will grant you that an empty nester is a more likely high ender.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing