Magico Q7

Absolutely right , i am in the market for a poweramplifier as well these days , what keeps me somewhat reserved regarding those designs is high cost of maintenance , but if that was absolutely no issue at all i might go for CAT amps ( the JL 2 sign is the least maintenance )
maybe WAVAC 833 is an option, there you virtually only need to change one big one :D

It is called euphonica. Can be helpful with a mediocre midrange performance. I don’t believe Magico will benefit from it.

We have debated euphonic sound long ago in WBF. Euphonia can be pleasing, but does not add realism to acoustical music. Your comment just suggests that you have no experience with SOTA tube systems. BTW, Alon Wolf appreciates tubes with his speakers:

"It is critical in manufacturing perfectionist speakers to use related components that reveal all that's possible; especially in resolution, tonality, dynamics and sound-staging. To this end we've evaluated and tried a vast array of the highest end equipment available. VAC's amplifiers and preamps have turned out to be references of the highest order, and not coincidentally, terrifically enjoyable to listen to" - Alon Wolf, owner Magico Loudspeakers

Your comment just suggests that you have no experience with SOTA tube system.

Sure, never even seen a tube amp in my life…
BTW, your comment just suggests that you have no experience with SOTA SS electronics on a SOTA loudspeaker ;)

I agree with microstrip/bruce , with the right pairing and high quality tubes you can have outstanding bass , another comes to mind is Octave jubilee, they are quit costly to maintain however some of these poweramp s.
Remember the 9600 are something like 70 or 90 watts , and the Q 7 is a large speaker which benefits from quite a lot of control i think

Yet many would say lower power tubes sound best due to simpler gain stages/design.

Yet many would say lower power tubes sound best due to simpler gain stages/design.

agree- we can btw say the same for lower power SS amps. Problem is if you don't have enough power for your speakers, it may only "theoretically" sound well

I would say it depends what music you play , first of all you need to have a reasonable speakermatch off course , secondly housemusic and movies benefit from the relentless/control drive transistor can offer , for natural played instruments i would say tubes have the advantage , i am mereley in the first part.
Low power the advantage ?? i d say the more power the better probably, just like a motorcycle :D

And where are my favourites - the David Berning Quadrature Z's ??????? ;-)
I personally use the ZH230s in a special version by David. Incomparable even compared to Audio Consulting MIPA..

THere are quite a few high power tube designs out there too. So plenty of choices to choose from. Among others:
- Tube Researdch Labs Platinum Golden Triode Reference 800 Mono Amplifiers
- Jadis JA-800¨
- Atma-Sphere MA-3 MK.3.2
- Conrad Johnson ART
- Audio Research Reference 750
- VTL Siegfried Series 2
- Convergent Audio Technologies JL3 Statement
- Joule Electra VAN-350 Destiny
- Octave Research Jubilee Mono
- Tenor Audio 350M Haute Puissance
- Audio Power Labs 833 TNT
- VAC Statement 450
- Shoreline 800
- Balanced Audio Technologies REX II
- Pathos Acoustics Adrenaline
- Carver Audio Silver 900
- Graaf GM400
- Ayon Audio Orthos XS
- Ypsilon Electronics SET-100 Ultimate
- LAMM Industries M2.2
- KR Audio Kronzilla DXL
- Wavac Audio SH-833 Mk.II
- Rogue Audio Apollo
- McIntosh Mc2301

Sure, never even seen a tube amp in my life…
BTW, your comment just suggests that you have no experience with SOTA SS electronics on a SOTA loudspeaker ;)

I have listed brands that I have listened to and owned in this forum, as well as my preferences. Sorry if you do not consider them SOTA. But I forget to tell I have listened to the first and last versions of Devialet in my system. Am I forgiven? ;)

I have listed brands that I have listened to and owned in this forum, as well as my preferences. Sorry if you do not consider them SOTA. But I forget to tell I have listened to the first and last versions of Devialet in my system. Am I forgiven? ;)

Yet to hear the Devialet sound special, Micro have you ?

I have heard Devialet many times. I don't think they are a high end component. Sorry but I don't care much for how they sound.

I have heard Devialet many times. I don't think they are a high end component. Sorry but I don't care much for how they sound.

+1

Yet to hear the Devialet sound special, Micro have you ?

It can sound impressive with some recordings, particularly because its bass reproduction can help delineating the space of the recording in an unique way. However voices and particularly recordings having a strong sense of rhythm are not to the standards the performance of the much more expensive separates. I listened to stereo units in my system, but was told that monoblocks sound much better. The last version solved the problem of the "grit " in the soprano voices.

It can sound impressive with some recordings, particularly because its bass reproduction can help delineating the space of the recording in an unique way. However voices and particularly recordings having a strong sense of rhythm are not to the standards the performance of the much more expensive separates. I listened to stereo units in my system, but was told that monoblocks sound much better. The last version solved the problem of the "grit " in the soprano voices.

I have to disagree with you. It does not sound good at all. Not in any way. I have heard enough Devialet models in enough systems to be confident about my evaluation. The Devaliet is just bling at a nice price compared to what you would need to pay for seperate components. The sound quality suffers though.

Their biggest shortcoming is the midrange which sounds dry, sterile. It lacks any kind of dynamic life and sound of real instruments and voices. The bass lacks any kind of grunt to make it sound like real life drums for instance. Again dynamics are flat while any slam is nowhere to be heard. Its like mice playing drums. The treble has digitale artifacts and glare. It gets very tiresome to listen to at any length. Finally it seems as if it lacks enough power to drive quite a few speakers. I heard it with Magico Q3 a few times and the Devialet certainly did not have what it takes to remove the Q3 from the soundstage to leave the music. The Music instead emerges from the speakers two points in the room without any holographic qualities at all.

I have to disagree with you. It does not sound good at all. Not in any way. I have heard enough Devialet models in enough systems to be confident about my evaluation. The Devaliet is just bling at a nice price compared to what you would need to pay for seperate components. The sound quality suffers though.

Their biggest shortcoming is the midrange which sounds dry, sterile. It lacks any kind of dynamic life and sound of real instruments and voices. The bass lacks any kind of grunt to make it sound like real life drums for instance. Again dynamics are flat while any slam is nowhere to be heard. Its like mice playing drums. The treble has digitale artifacts and glare. It gets very tiresome to listen to at any length. Finally it seems as if it lacks enough power to drive quite a few speakers. I heard it with Magico Q3 a few times and the Devialet certainly did not have what it takes to remove the Q3 from the soundstage to leave the music. The Music instead emerges from the speakers two points in the room without any holographic qualities at all.

I think we agree on the shortcomings, but we valuate differently the good aspects. Until I live with equipment for a reasonable time I do not risk stating openly it does not sound good. As you I currently do not consider it challenges what we call "high-end" separates.

I have to disagree with you. It does not sound good at all. Not in any way.

Obviously, others disagree.

And then there's the various configurations and updates that seem to accompany the unit.

With all the variables, an absolute judgement seems indefensible.

I have to disagree with you. It Does sound good, very Good.
But opinions differs in everyone, Who are right? I dont know..nobody perhaps:)

Last edited:
Entire post deleted. Citizen, good morning to you. Welcome to the WBF first and foremost! With that said, your post has been omitted and replaced with a formal warning. While we always welcome new member participation, we do have a set of rules that need to be followed. These rules are spelled out for all of our members and can be found here >>> http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?1207-Terms-Of-Service

Please do NOT make any post(s) that are personal in nature. Simply stick to the thread topic. Thank you.

Tom

Last edited by a moderator:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing