Magico M9

Cableman

Dec 27, 2013
I don't understand the concept of room volume and having one volume for everything. I don't get it.

If a cd (I don't ever listen to cd's) happens to be recorded at say 3db lower than the last cd you played, I think some are even greater, like between 3-6db lower than a normal cd, and you don't raise the volume for the cd that is recorded at a lower level, for me the lower level recording would not be at the correct listening level.
Fair do’es. Equally I don’t get why people don’t just set the RRV and leave it. If it’s right it’s right. I’ve commented on poorly mastered CDs so no point repeating. It’s what I’ve found to be the case over and over again and I’m happy to report it works for me.

Reactions: Rhapsody

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Fair do’es. Equally I don’t get why people don’t just set the RRV and leave it. If it’s right it’s right. I’ve commented on poorly mastered CDs so no point repeating. It’s what I’ve found to be the case over and over again and I’m happy to report it works for me.
Fair enough, that's the key to find what works for each of us. Be well.

Reactions: Cableman

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Of course you may. The beating heart of the system is a correctly set Audiopax Model 88. From there everything glows/flows

As far as I remember - it was long ago - " correctly set Audiopax Model 88" around 2005 meant with the proper distortions added to sound great in our own systems, cancelling their intrinsic non-linearity. Eduardo de Lima circuit suggestions and papers were really interesting .

Did you ever listen to the Maggiore M100's in your system? Can I ask what are your speakers?

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Fair do’es. But certainly not in my experience. Are you saying you alter the volume everytime you change the record.

If I listen to all three discs of Bach’s Cello Concertos I certainly do not change the volume. But if I then listen to a symphony that is recorded from a further listening perspective and if the record sounds quieter or louder, I adjust the volume.

as I thought I expressed clearly in my post, different music in different recordings depending on the number of factors sound best at different volumes.

I don’t want a close mic’d recording of a piano in a chamber setting to sound the same as a piano up on the Boston symphony stage as heard from row M. The listening perspectives are different and that should be reflected in the experience at the listening seat in my living room.

Gene Simmons belting it out at a concert is a different volume then a soprano heard from the directors box at the Vienna State opera. I may have heard these thirty years apart, but I think it’s safe to say the volume was markedly different. And if I want to try to approach some semblance of re-creation from recordings in my listening room, the volume setting will be different.

Cableman

Dec 27, 2013
As far as I remember - it was long ago - " correctly set Audiopax Model 88" around 2005 meant with the proper distortions added to sound great in our own systems, cancelling their intrinsic non-linearity. Eduardo de Lima circuit suggestions and papers were really interesting .

Did you ever listen to the Maggiore M100's in your system? Can I ask what are your speakers?
I never did understand how Eduardo figured it out but I’m pleased to say I figured out how to set it.

no I never listened to the Maggs and I’d prefer not to discuss my system as most is heavily modded to my specification.

Cableman

Dec 27, 2013
If I listen to all three discs of Bach’s Cello Concertos I certainly do not change the volume. But if I then listen to a symphony that is recorded from a further listening perspective and if the record sounds quieter or louder, I adjust the volume.

as I thought I expressed clearly in my post, different music in different recordings depending on the number of factors sound best at different volumes.

I don’t want a close mic’d recording of a piano in a chamber setting to sound the same as a piano up on the Boston symphony stage as heard from row M. The listening perspectives are different and that should be reflected in the experience at the listening seat in my living room.

Gene Simmons belting it out at a concert is a different volume then a soprano heard from the directors box at the Vienna State opera. I may have heard these thirty years apart, but I think it’s safe to say the volume was markedly different. And if I want to try to approach some semblance of re-creation from recordings in my listening room, the volume setting will be different.
I’ll be brief. I don’t. Set the RRV and you really shouldn’t have to as it’s not music or genre dependant.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I’ll be brief. I don’t. Set the RRV and you really shouldn’t have to as it’s not music or genre dependant.

Can we at less know what is is typical peak level at the listening position?

Cableman

Dec 27, 2013
Can we at less know what is is typical peak level at the listening position?
I have no wish to be evasive but I’m just enjoying the music the figures don’t interest me. Take the Model88. On paper maybe not good. Properly set? Almost unsurpassable and certainly unbeatable in its price bracket IMHO

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I have no wish to be evasive but I’m just enjoying the music the figures don’t interest me. Take the Model88. On paper maybe not good. Properly set? Almost unsurpassable and certainly unbeatable in its price bracket IMHO

Fortunately, most posters are not so evasive. If they were, we would have no discussion on this forum.

Reactions: Lagonda and tima

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014

Peter, you’re being honest and open, thoughtfully listening and responding, giving good context to your experiences and taking the time to detail out your reasoning… how’s that ever going to work?

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
I don't understand the concept of room volume and having one volume for everything. I don't get it.

If a cd (I don't ever listen to cd's) happens to be recorded at say 3db lower than the last cd you played, I think some are even greater, like between 3-6db lower than a normal cd, and you don't raise the volume for the cd that is recorded at a lower level, for me the lower level recording would not be at the correct listening level.

Of course I agree. But you're too logical, Bob ;).

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Wow… those Magico M9s (Am I in the right thread?)

Reactions: gds7368

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
Can’t stress enough it’s NOT about loudness it’s about the correct room volume. Oh and don’t think it’s real easy to set. It’s not. Tiny changes on the dial can be the difference between hearing everything ( relatively speaking) or info veiled and hence lost in the mire. Try it.
Many people don't care what's the "correct room volume", some want it loud, real loud, some want it low, then there's the rest of us somewhere in the middle...

To me it's about the direct relationship between how much the music moves me and increasing volume (within limits).

Cableman

Dec 27, 2013
Many people don't care what's the "correct room volume", some want it loud, real loud, some want it low, then there's the rest of us somewhere in the middle...

To me it's about the direct relationship between how much the music moves me and increasing volume (within limits).
Yup. I know. But I just want the music played back at its best and setting RRV helps that

Reactions: sbo6

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Will there be an M7 or M8 falling somewhere between the M6 and M9? It seems there’s a big gap there around the $450,000 level and something to compete against the Wilson XVX.
Only Alon ( and his inner circle) knows, but I would bet there will be many exciting things coming from Magico in the future.

TDX

Jan 14, 2020
Will there be an M7 or M8 falling somewhere between the M6 and M9? It seems there’s a big gap there around the $450,000 level and something to compete against the Wilson XVX.
I guess they get all the best on a flagship then pass some findings down to fill the gap. M4578.

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
I think that there definitely would have been a few announcements from Magico between now and the last product which was announced, the A5, EXCEPT, Covid happened. For a multitude of reasons I think this has delayed Magico announcing new products in '21. Too many uncertainties.

I know nothing about any new Magico product announcements, but I think now that things seem to be getting a bit better, and if we are not hit with more variant induced lockdowns/restrictions, I would think something from Magico should be coming soon. Looking forward to whatever it is.

Reactions: Bobvin and Audire

wil

Jul 22, 2015
I wonder if a range of system and music variables can feed in to make this less or more critical. Tube systems do seem to have a clear rightness point that varies with different recordings and music types and can be to me critical.

Could also be a combination of factors including system and recording dynamics. Engaging the room and energising it is important with ribbon speakers for me so a tipping point of volume also seems very relevant here. Having a ladder volume control with 100 steps still each step on my pre makes getting right level more possible. There is more difference in rightness of volume in latitude on going into either of the horns here than into the Harbeths. For me also simply setting the volume level so it has apparent rightness for the music is just part of the routine.

Since going to the OBs with 8 x15 inch woofers total and wiring them parallel so going to 16ohm impedance there is more flow and the amp is working even better down in its early first watt or two range but also I’m listening and engaged at lower volumes than ever and only using the lower part of my volume control and quite often often just at a watt or two am musically clicked in and happy. It’s good to not have to blast to engage and the option of maintaining hearing is higher priority than ever.

I find each step on the volume is very critical for each different type of recording and is also in ways genre related. The scale of the music plays in here as well. The smaller horn OBs that I have with a total of 4 x 15 inch woofers wired at 8 ohms is slightly less volume sensitive and also has to work a touch harder to engage me and the room. The only time I pump up the volume on either is for massive attack or having a daft punk moment (the band not me lol) or generally with electronic dance music though it’s still possible to dance if there is coherence and musical flow is more evident. Sometimes with big symphonic it’s nice to give a bit more scale but I usually try and only turn up the volume to the point where it all clicks in. A poor performance or uninteresting music nothing clicks in at any rate.

I also am unsure if having subs doesn’t de-sensitise some a bit to volume and subsonics can be adrenals addictive so pumping up the volume can also be a bit of physical substance abuse.

There is very much for me a fairly exact rightness of volume for every recording but for less engaging systems that I have heard this does seem to me to be less critical.
Paul McGowan talks about judging the correct volume level by paying attention to scale. If a vocalist sounds out of scale with the size of a real person, or if for instance a violin sounds like it’s the size of a piano, then your volume is too high!

Reactions: the sound of Tao

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing