Lyra Etna and Airtight Opus 1? Is it different enough?

joey_v

Nov 30, 2015
I am wondering…

would having an AT Opus 1 be different enough from a Lyra Etna? I have the Etna but I’m looking to add to my collection. I would run both simultaneously.

the other thought was a Koetsu Jade as an anti Lyra cart.

Thoughts?

thx

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
Airtight Opus 1 is a game changer, it’s my favorite cart!

Reactions: Johan K

joey_v

Nov 30, 2015
But is it different enough as a secondary to a well loved Lyra Etna?

I have Magico m2 btw
I followed your journey to the m3

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
But is it different enough as a secondary to a well loved Lyra Etna?

I have Magico m2 btw
I followed your journey to the m3
I have a MSL Platinum Signature as my second cart! But different systems perform differently. I have a Vitus Masterpiece Phono stage ordered. So, I may change carts at that time.

joey_v

Nov 30, 2015
I have a MSL Platinum Signature as my second cart! But different systems perform differently. I have a Vitus Masterpiece Phono stage ordered. So, I may change carts at that time.
Does the plat and opus sound similar or notably different? Made by same gentleman

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
Does the plat and opus sound similar or notably different? Made by same gentleman

Though MSL makes the Opus, the Opus IMO sounds better and thus different on our system. The Opus is very three-dimensional in its sound. It’s neutral. The tremble isn’t aggressive.there’s just a life like smoothness to the sound. The bass is stunning.

The MSL does all the above well and it is pleasing to listen to, but the Opus does them exceptionally IMO. I use the MSL for rock music and the Opus mostly for Blue Note, etc.

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
I don't think the Etna and Opus 1 sound similar. I own and prefer the Opus 1, but I was able to demo an Etna (though a Lambda SL version).

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I don't think the Etna and Opus 1 sound similar. I own and prefer the Opus 1, but I was able to demo an Etna (though a Lambda SL version).

I agree. But prior to the Lambda generation I do think the Etna was the least Lyra-like with the least analytical Lyra house sound.

I, personally, much prefer the Opus 1 to any pre-Lambda Lyra I have ever heard.

So many people loved the Lyra Atlas (including Michael Fremer) but it seems to me that the evolution to Lambda was a Lyra corporate acknowledgment that the Lyra Atlas was lean and analytical (if very resolving and transparent).

Last edited:

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
Normally you should like AIr Tight Opus 1 more than Etna. If you try and still prefer Etna over Opus 1 then you should look where the problem lies. Koetsu is a different story. IMHO Koetsu is opposite of Lyra. BTW Opus 1 is more neutral and better than both.

gestalt

Aug 3, 2019
Nashville, TN
gestalt.audio
Ask Tony about a Fuuga. :D

Reactions: Audire

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
I agree. But prior to the Lambda generation I do think the Etna was the least Lyra-like with the least analytical Lyra house sound.

Within the Lambda line, what is your assessment of Etna and Atlas, if you've had the opportunity to hear them?

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Within the Lambda line, what is your assessment of Etna and Atlas, if you've had the opportunity to hear them?

I have no experience with any Lambda. I know only that I have never heard a Lyra Atlas I have cared for.

I have a fair amount of experience listening to an Etna on a friend's system (on a Kuzma 4Point on a Stabi M) and I never would have suspected it was a Lyra cartridge.

Reactions: DetroitVinylRob

joey_v

Nov 30, 2015
The Lyra and Airtight seem to be different enough in built (naked housing vs bodied) that perhaps it will give me a good enough variance between the two without having to go Koetsu for the 2nd cart.

Maybe a Koetsu for the 3rd someday then.

Reactions: Johan K

Johan K

Dec 27, 2022
Sweden
The Lyra and Airtight seem to be different enough in built (naked housing vs bodied) that perhaps it will give me a good enough variance between the two without having to go Koetsu for the 2nd cart.

Maybe a Koetsu for the 3rd someday then.
The Opus is more like Koetsu then Lyra vs Koetsu. I’d say the Opus just the opposite to Lyra. So YES, you can definitely go with an Opus as a secondary cart to Lyra, because they will perform completely diffrent to your records. It will be a very good compliment to one and other.

/ Jk

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
The Opus is much better than the Etna, but the lamda versions of Lyra are good. The atlas lambda is excellent.

Koetsu is just overpriced poor but if you are listening to amplified music and not classical you will be fine

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
I can only speak to my Lyra Etna Lambda experience but it’s been remarkable. Not too analytical but very resolving. A touch of warmth. It’s quite a cartridge! The bass is really special imho.

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
Has anybody done a direct comparison between the Lyra Etna Lambda with the Lyra Etna Lambda SL ?

And if so, any reasonable / respectable differences between the two ?

Phantom-Audio

Apr 23, 2017
Jakarta
www.phantom-audio.com
How about Top Wing?

joey_v

Nov 30, 2015
It's been 6 months since I've had the Opus installed on my second table.

And I can say, it's been a joy having 2 carts. I would say the Lyra Etna definitely sounds different compared to the Opus. The Opus was a great choice for a 2nd vinyl option.

Thank you all!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing