Question - am I a lunatic? 3 arms?

joey_v

Nov 30, 2015
Hello All,
In an effort to get back into being involved in the forums - I have decided to start posting my thoughts and questions.

So... I am a recent vinyl addict.

I don't have a large collection, but I'm collecting as I go along. I'm not in a rush to amass a collection and I'm fortunate to maybe have some time on my side to collect.

I initially started off my vinyl journey about 15 years ago when I was in college. I had a dynavector and a VPI Scoutmaster. I never enjoyed it and I never got the sound I wanted from it. So I abandoned vinyl and analog.

Recently, I got back into it.... mostly because there are some local friends who kept egging me on to buy a table.

I had one table.... which could handle multiple (up to 3) arms albeit at the cost of ease of use (becomes messy). I had an extra arm stored (Fatboy Gimbal 12"), but I ended up selling it to fund a second table purchase instead of adding to the initial table.

So now, I have 2 turntables. Each with its own arm.

Now, I was presented the opportunity to buy another arm, this time a Fatboy 12" Unipivot with dual pivot assembly and its accompanying VTA tower (which was a signicant cost factor which is why I just bought a new 2nd table to begin with). I cannot help to imagine how cool it would be to have 3 arms total. I enjoy immensely having 2 tables to flip and flop in between.

The only problems I have:
1. The 3rd arm would be a second arm on the first table. Ease of use is questionable.
2. The 3rd arm would require it's own input on the phono, my ARC only has 2 inputs.
3. Not sure if I want mono cart, because I don't have many mono records... I wonder if a 3rd stereo cart for variety is more interesting for my journey.

So, short of it... do you guys enjoy having 3 different carts to choose from on a daily basis?

Thx
JV

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Three stereo carts, while fun, wouldn't be on my priority list ( versus really refining two as far as sut/phono etc. )

Now if you have a dedicated mono that's different ;)

Reactions: joey_v

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
The answer to your question is, yes. You are an audiophile so by default a lunatic. :)

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
i have 5 arms, with a 6th cartridge incoming, trying to rationalize a 6th arm.

don't fight it, you will lose. agree on the mono cartridge thing. that's what's incoming for me. i lose myself into the music being able to switch arm/cart combo's, my most immersive all consuming way to listen. keeps it flowing and adds a bit of adventure to my sessions.

Last edited:

joey_v

Nov 30, 2015
Three stereo carts, while fun, wouldn't be on my priority list ( versus really refining two as far as sut/phono etc. )

Now if you have a dedicated mono that's different ;)
I can see that

maybe a dedicated mono then

joey_v

Nov 30, 2015
i have 5 arms, with a 6th cartridge incoming, trying to rationalize a 6th arm.

don't fight it, you will lose. agree on the mono cartridge thing. that's what's incoming for me. i lose myself into the music being able to switch arm/cart combo's, my most immersive all consuming way to listen. keeps it flowing and adds a bit of adventure to my sessions.
Mike
Thanks for making me feel… less looney! Hahaha

• Haha
Reactions: Johan K

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
I have three turntables, two are actively used now. The third one I am building has a dedicated field coil cartridge and I will be adding a mono cartridge on it. So in total 4 arms. 2 stereo, 1 stereo field coil and 1 mono. Do not worry about being a lunatic, here you would feel home with 3 arms and hearing from people like @Mike Lavigne you may even feel a little sane (being sane is not very appreciated around here though :p)

Johan K

Dec 27, 2022
Sweden
Hifi virus is irriversable.. and there is no cure! As Mike said - Don’t fight it, haha… just ride the bullit! Me myself has two TT’s, four arms, all different stereo carts… no mono at the moment. I run between the arms cus it’s so much fun… Lunatic..?? In the audioroom - Yes Sir..!! My advice: Just go for it?:D !

/ Jk

Reactions: XV-1

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
3 arms? Naaaaah. You're fine :D

Reactions: XV-1

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
The more the merrier. I used to have 4 tables, now down to 3 with 4 tonearms.

Great fun.

• Haha
Reactions: Johan K

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
Gawd...8 arms, over 40 cartridges (with the latest additions of a Monster Sigma Genesis 2000 and a Sony xl-55 pro), 4 turntables. But no digital. Can't afford it LOLZ
XL-55pro is a nice cartridge (on the left) but the real gem is the xl88d custom (white one on the right)! I think it is one of the rarest cartridges though. Diamond cantilever and stylus on it, maybe the first of its kind.

I also have the TT to match them. The Sony PS-X9 on the right :)

Attachments

• xl55proxl88dcustom.JPG
    xl55proxl88dcustom.JPG
    744.7 KB · Views: 6
  • kuzmasony.jpg
    kuzmasony.jpg
    1,000.3 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Robert Young

VIP/Donor
Oct 22, 2020
New York CIty
XL-55pro is a nice cartridge (on the left) but the real gem is the xl88d custom! I think it is one of the rarest cartridges though. Diamond cantilever and stylus on it, maybe the first of its kind.

I also have the TT to match them. The Sony PS-X9 on the right :)
I’ve never found the 88 for sale anywhere. I’ll jump when i do! Love the table as well!! My little Sony game also had me purchasing the matching head amp, which is having its guts checked now, and i’m looking for a PUA-9 tonearm to complete the set…right now the xl-55 pro is on a Bokrand 12” mounted on a slate plinthed lenco l-75/ptp 6
(Using a redboy sut at the moment, rca-based). They all like each other very much!!
This is where the crazy part comes in: finding synergy between individually great components is really fun…

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing