Look at this stupid measurement of focal stella utopia!

Jongsun

Mar 5, 2021
I purchased a new focal stella utopia product in January of 2021.
However, there was an initial defect in which the 13 inch woofer did not work
because the power supply of the left speaker did not turn on at lower volume,
and because of this, I have been filing for a refund for 3 years now.

France's focal headquarters is not taking any action, and when I posted about this
on a our country audio forum, the distributor sued me for defamation and obstruction
of business, which I was found not guilty of. They admitted to the initial defect and
tried to fix it twice but was unsuccessful. Then, they stated that if I pay an additional fee,
they could give me an exchange with the same product with a different finish or a display product.

I refused because I was very displeased and when they later offered to give me a free exchange
with the same product but a different finish, I refused again because this brand has
shitty AS and asked for a refund.

The distributor refused to make the refund and I started a refund lawsuit.
Now, they are claiming in the trial that this speaker was broken by a harmful current in my system.
I've sent several protest emails to focal but they are just reading them and not taking any action.
I bought a flagship model of Focal, but I'm very disappointed with the attitude that they have shown,
thinking that they have no responsibilities after simply selling their products.
In our country audio forums, this is a big incident that most people know about
and is spreading a movement to boycott.
Even though the measurements differ considerably on the two sides, they are claiming it to be normal and not a major defect.
If you want to purchase Focal, I would ask you to please reconsider.

l+r.png

left(defect)

right(normal)

For the past 3 years, the focal ceo ignored my emails but this morning I received an email from them!!!

But what do we have here, it was meant to be sent to a different person, none other than the head of distributor in my country. So, I kindly replied that you had sent the email to the wrong person.

This is what happened. Do they have a conscience? What kind of technical data is there when the measurement clearly shows the product has a problem? The bottom line is that the French manufacturer is no different from the importing company. The French manufacturer must be waiting for the outcome of the trial and testing the waters. The conclusion is that this is a brand that should be avoided.

IMG_3170.png

Last edited:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) because the power supply of the left speaker did not turn on at lower volume,
and because of this, I have been filing for a refund for 3 years now.::: (...)

Is this the only problem? Does the speaker work normally at louder volume?

ecwl

Mar 20, 2021
Winnipeg, Canada
I finally had the pleasure of visiting Seoul as a tourist for the first time in my life in March 2023. I had a great time although I didn't check out any stereo stores because I found them intimidating as you have to setup appointments a priori and I don't speak Korean. I did go to the Seoul Audio Show and generally it was a great experience although there were a couple of rooms I wasn't "allowed" in for reasons I didn't understand, probably due to language barrier. I was able to peak inside and they were not products I was interested in anyway.

While I was there, I remember your poor experience from 2021 and 2022 that you talked about in another thread and I was wondering if there was any resolution to your problem. It is just sad that the dealer still hasn't given you any refund. This is beyond ridiculous.

While it is true that most dealers who can't fix a broken new pair of speakers would just offer you a replacement one (albeit of a different color if the old color is no longer being manufactured), I think a customer who only wants a specific speaker in a specific color should be able to get a full refund if said new speaker is broken and not reparable. And in reality, the dealer should be able to ship the speaker to Focal to get it fixed, with shipping paid for by them (not you). Ideally, the dealer should loan you a decent pair of speakers while the other speaker is under repair (but that's more of a bonus for loyal customers usually at some dealership). That said, I know most dealers delude themselves into thinking that if they can get the customer the same speakers, albeit a different color, they should get to keep the customer's money. To them, it's the same speaker and same sound. To us consumers, a different color speaker is a different speaker. I think dealers just want to keep the money so they talk themselves into believing that not offering refund is okay.

My strong suspicion is that because your dealer is also a major distributor for Focal in Korea, Focal probably did the math, saw how many Focal speakers the distributor sold in Korea, and decided not to punish the distributor for this incident. Because financially, it is to Focal's advantage to keep this distributor and keep selling lots of products than to switch distributors and punish this distributor for the poor service you received. Because there is no way for Focal to know whether a new distributor would make more or less money for Focal. It's also possible that Focal has a long-contract locked-in with this distributor so their hands are tied.

To me, your dealer/distributor should:
1) Give you full refund because they sold you a demo product that is missing the manual and slightly dirty/marked up and has a busted woofer/crossover/PSU that they couldn't repair. It is insane that the dealer says the speaker is not broken and that the frequency response measurements are normal.
2) Be able to repair your speakers because why would anyone buy any Focal speakers in Korea if they have no confidence that the distributor can repair the speakers if they are broken

I'm truly sorry for your poor experience with this distributor/dealer. Hope you get your refund soon.

Reactions: Jongsun

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Then the problem is just the triggering circuit - a very easy to solve problem that can be done by any competent technician, particularly as he can compare the two circuits. Even cheap subwwoofers for AV use have such circuit!
I suffered from such problem in a very old Sonus Faber Gravis subwoofer - the subwoofer would not switch on at very low night listening levels, we had to wait for a bombardment to get bass - but I solved it just changing a resistor.

In my country, it would probably be solved the same day by the Focal distributor.

Jongsun

Mar 5, 2021
I finally had the pleasure of visiting Seoul as a tourist for the first time in my life in March 2023. I had a great time although I didn't check out any stereo stores because I found them intimidating as you have to setup appointments a priori and I don't speak Korean. I did go to the Seoul Audio Show and generally it was a great experience although there were a couple of rooms I wasn't "allowed" in for reasons I didn't understand, probably due to language barrier. I was able to peak inside and they were not products I was interested in anyway.

While I was there, I remember your poor experience from 2021 and 2022 that you talked about in another thread and I was wondering if there was any resolution to your problem. It is just sad that the dealer still hasn't given you any refund. This is beyond ridiculous.

While it is true that most dealers who can't fix a broken new pair of speakers would just offer you a replacement one (albeit of a different color if the old color is no longer being manufactured), I think a customer who only wants a specific speaker in a specific color should be able to get a full refund if said new speaker is broken and not reparable. And in reality, the dealer should be able to ship the speaker to Focal to get it fixed, with shipping paid for by them (not you). Ideally, the dealer should loan you a decent pair of speakers while the other speaker is under repair (but that's more of a bonus for loyal customers usually at some dealership). That said, I know most dealers delude themselves into thinking that if they can get the customer the same speakers, albeit a different color, they should get to keep the customer's money. To them, it's the same speaker and same sound. To us consumers, a different color speaker is a different speaker. I think dealers just want to keep the money so they talk themselves into believing that not offering refund is okay.

My strong suspicion is that because your dealer is also a major distributor for Focal in Korea, Focal probably did the math, saw how many Focal speakers the distributor sold in Korea, and decided not to punish the distributor for this incident. Because financially, it is to Focal's advantage to keep this distributor and keep selling lots of products than to switch distributors and punish this distributor for the poor service you received. Because there is no way for Focal to know whether a new distributor would make more or less money for Focal. It's also possible that Focal has a long-contract locked-in with this distributor so their hands are tied.

To me, your dealer/distributor should:
1) Give you full refund because they sold you a demo product that is missing the manual and slightly dirty/marked up and has a busted woofer/crossover/PSU that they couldn't repair. It is insane that the dealer says the speaker is not broken and that the frequency response measurements are normal.
2) Be able to repair your speakers because why would anyone buy any Focal speakers in Korea if they have no confidence that the distributor can repair the speakers if they are broken

I'm truly sorry for your poor experience with this distributor/dealer. Hope you get your refund soon.
Yes, that's right, you know exactly.
I'm going to smash this distributor.
I will do my best not to have a victim like me again.
As it stands, focal will probably disappear from our country soon!!!

thank you

ecwl

Mar 20, 2021
Winnipeg, Canada
Because Focal has this external PSU/crossover unit I believe for your speakers, I think a number of us in the previous thread have wondered if the problem is just with the external PSU but I believe you stated fairly early on in 2021 that the dealer/distributor and yourself thought the problem was not the external PSU. Because I didn't even think the external PSU is the same color as the speakers, it should be very easy for Focal/your dealer to just bring a new external PSU to test this hypothesis (or just switch the PSU for the left & right speakers to test this hypothesis).

But I can see you are now so disappointed with the dealer/distributor and Focal in general, you just don't want to have anything to do with them again even if they can fix the speakers. You just want your money back which is fair.

Sadly for you though, even with the bad word of mouth in Korea, I doubt Focal will disappear from Korea because you'll be surprised how many people buy speakers who are not audiophiles who check out audiophile forums. Also, just because you had a bad experience, some people might just be luckier and want a new Focal speaker pair enough that they would go ahead and buy another one anyway.

Jongsun

Mar 5, 2021
Then the problem is just the triggering circuit - a very easy to solve problem that can be done by any competent technician, particularly as he can compare the two circuits. Even cheap subwwoofers for AV use have such circuit!
I suffered from such problem in a very old Sonus Faber Gravis subwoofer - the subwoofer would not switch on at very low night listening levels, we had to wait for a bombardment to get bass - but I solved it just changing a resistor.

In my country, it would probably be solved the same day by the Focal distributor.
They tried to repair it twice but couldn't.
Focal also suggested an exchange because he didn't know the cause.
It wasn't just a matter of resistance.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
They tried to repair it twice but couldn't.
Focal also suggested an exchange because he didn't know the cause.
It wasn't just a matter of resistance.

If it is not the resistor then it is an 20 cent integrated circuit, a regulator or similar chip. There is no magic in trigger circuits, just very elementary basic electronics. I do not doubt that you are the victim, but the issue is not a technical problem, but a personal communication / relationship. Did you try to getting a third part technical look at the problem?

Jongsun

Mar 5, 2021
Because Focal has this external PSU/crossover unit I believe for your speakers, I think a number of us in the previous thread have wondered if the problem is just with the external PSU but I believe you stated fairly early on in 2021 that the dealer/distributor and yourself thought the problem was not the external PSU. Because I didn't even think the external PSU is the same color as the speakers, it should be very easy for Focal/your dealer to just bring a new external PSU to test this hypothesis (or just switch the PSU for the left & right speakers to test this hypothesis).

But I can see you are now so disappointed with the dealer/distributor and Focal in general, you just don't want to have anything to do with them again even if they can fix the speakers. You just want your money back which is fair.

Sadly for you though, even with the bad word of mouth in Korea, I doubt Focal will disappear from Korea because you'll be surprised how many people buy speakers who are not audiophiles who check out audiophile forums. Also, just because you had a bad experience, some people might just be luckier and want a new Focal speaker pair enough that they would go ahead and buy another one anyway.
I tried changing the left and right psu, but the problem was not solved including the amplifier.
I used to be an engineer, so I can do the basics myself.
I'm sure it's an internal problem with the left speaker.
And I'll continue to spread my case so many people know.
Many people are already calling focal "fuckal."

Reactions: J-Wall and ecwl

Jongsun

Mar 5, 2021
If it is not the resistor then it is an 20 cent integrated circuit, a regulator or similar chip. There is no magic in trigger circuits, just very elementary basic electronics. I do not doubt that you are the victim, but the issue is not a technical problem, but a personal communication / relationship. Did you try to getting a third part technical look at the problem?
They switched diodes twice
After measuring the resistance value, an exchange was proposed.
They couldn't find the cause.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I tried changing the left and right psu, but the problem was not solved including the amplifier.
I used to be an engineer, so I can do the basics myself.
I'm sure it's an internal problem with the left speaker.
And I'll continue to spread my case so many people know.
Many people are already calling focal "fuckal."

Well, I posted because I felt I could be of help. Although I do not currently own Focal gear, I have owned Utopia Be and know they currently manufacture excellent speakers and have an excellent reputation in Europe.

Reactions: infinitely baffled

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Deja vu.

Jongsun

Mar 5, 2021
Well, I posted because I felt I could be of help. Although I do not currently own Focal gear, I have owned Utopia Be and know they currently manufacture excellent speakers and have an excellent reputation in Europe.
From what I've experienced, the as of focal is a mess.
I'm going to do my best to make sure no one is hurt anymore from focal

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
From what I've experienced, the as of focal is a mess.
I'm going to do my best to make sure no one is hurt anymore from focal
The way you have handled this appears childish and petulant. I'm not surprised Focal aren't playing ball.
I own Stella Utopias myself and i couldn't be happier with them. I've had a couple of issues- puppy chewed the cable link between the woofer power supply and the right speaker- replaced by Focal without quibbles. I like them so much that, despite being in the market for a pair of dipoles, i plan to hang on to my Stellas as they do things i can't do without.

Jongsun

Mar 5, 2021
The way you have handled this appears childish and petulant. I'm not surprised Focal aren't playing ball.
I own Stella Utopias myself and i couldn't be happier with them. I've had a couple of issues- puppy chewed the cable link between the woofer power supply and the right speaker- replaced by Focal without quibbles. I like them so much that, despite being in the market for a pair of dipoles, i plan to hang on to my Stellas as they do things i can't do without.
You're really lucky!
When I told the distributor that my speaker was broken, they tried to fix it twice but couldn't in the end.
They even claimed it was my fault.
Did your purchased speakers come with a manual? Mine didn't have one, and there were even stains on them.
I emailed Focal asking if they included a manual, but they never replied !

You're truly fortunate!
Don't worry about my situation and enjoy your Fokal life to the fullest!

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
When i purchased my Stellas they came with:
Packing crates
Wooden presentation boxes containing the footers
Fitted kimonos for the speakers
2 x owners packs, including instruction manuals. One for you, one for when you resell.

An awful lot of thought has gone into everything, even including how you unbox them from their flight crates. I'm sorry for you that you don't seem to have benefitted from the full ownership experience.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing