List of Potential Cables

NMMark1962

Jun 29, 2013
Santa Fe, NM
Okay all, I am sure this will stir passions and generate opinions, so here goes..

As I am planning a VERY substantial 2-channel system for late this year, I have a pretty short list of candidates for amps/preamps, front ends and speakers...but cables have the largest numbers due to some of them being very familiar to me and others, brands I really want to try...

Thus, the cables on my list are as follows (and are in no particular order): Tara Labs (The Zero, Omega and Cobalt), Argento Audio (Flow Master Reference), Shunyata (ZiTron Anaconda), Transparent (Opus MM2 and PowerLink MM2 AC), Kubala-Sosna (Elation!) and Purist Audio (25th Anniversary)....another potential line are the Evolution Acoustics cables since I am also going to listen to the MMSeven speaker.

Of all these brands, I can say I am the most familiar with Tara Labs. As far as Argento goes, I had a chance to fill out my system with their former entry level stuff and it was scary good for entry level)...as far as the others go, all I have to rely on are the many positive things I read here and elsewhere on the quality of the cables. I now know that Transparent can create cables for each specific component in one's system. That is enticing but also dreadfully pricey for the Opus MM2 stuff. Also, I was happy to learn that all of these companies can make the honking custom power cords for the large Boulder amps....

So I guess what I would like most of all is feedback on the Kubala Sosna and Purist Audio....and, anything else in regards to the Evolution Acoustics cables.....

MANY thanks

Mark

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
....and, anything else in regards to the Evolution Acoustics cables.....

MANY thanks

Mark

I did own and love the Transparent Opus MM2 speaker cables for 10 years. a fantastic sounding cable. even though expensive it delivers. a few years ago I compared it to the Evolution Acoustics DRSC (double run speaker cable) and liked the DRSC about the same as the Opus MM2 on my (then) Evolution Acoustics MM3's. there were trade-offs. the EA DRSC's were more open and balanced on top, the Opus MM2 was a bit dark on top (at least it was in comparison to the EA cables on the MM3's). I did love the sexiness in the bass of the Opus MM2, but the EA DRSC were a bit more dynamic, energetic and linear in the bass. likely the EA's had some synergy with the speakers. considering what I could sell the Opus MM2's for I did switch.

then a year later EA came out with the TRSC (triple run speaker cable) and I upgraded (and soon thereafter to the MM7's too). it was simply better all around, which was quite impressive. super low noise floor, great micro-dynamics, smooth and extended on top, and a great flow and top to bottom coherence.

on the power cable side of things I use 10 of the Absolute Fidelity power cords from Genesis. and......2 of the EA TRPC's (triple run power cables) for my dart 458 amps. really really good. and if you do happen to get the MM7's, I use some (you need 4) special Absolute Fidelity power cords for subwoofers on the bass tower amps which are excellent.

the only negative on the EA cables is you have to be patient; the cable builder also builds the speakers and he is pretty busy.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
I have a friend in Dallas (Albert Porter) with all Purist 25th anniversary cabling. That is literally one of the best systems I've ever heard. I have some Purist and mostly Transparent' s...both my former Wilson Maxx 3's and current Rockport Altairs are internally wired with Transparent...and a lil synergy at work I suspect...The Purist definitely belong on your list.

I do not think you have to go all the way up to Opus to get great Transparent cables...I have a few Ref XL MM2's (din to rca, then 2 rca-rca from SUT to phono stage, then phono to pre). Then Trans Ref MM MM2 from pre to amp and amp to speaker...so my analog is all Transparent.

I find the Shunyata power cords/conditioners to be great...your list might have better options on the signal cables...but i don't have first hand knowledge here...just have 2 friends that did the Shunyata-Transparent comparison. Both had Shunyata power cords. They kept the Transparent signal cables and stuck with Shunyata on power..

In the end...all of this comes down to what you prefer in your system...no hard and fast rules...

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Curiously Kimber and Cardas seem to be forgotten in high-end forum recommendations, although IMHO they manufacture excellent cables.

Although we can not correlate technical specifications of cables with sound quality it is important to consider them - some combinations of equipment and classical parameters, such as capacitance, will probably result in poor performance.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Multiple strands of high grade copper wire silver plated teflon insulated, i use them as speaker cable.
They are quite different ......in price .
Never feel the need to change no matter which audioshow /shop i go .

_DSC0070 by andromeda61, on Flickr

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Did I miss something? I mean, what's the system you'll be putting these cables on? Have you picked speaker/electronics yet?

alexandre

jep123

VIP/Donor
Dec 23, 2012
Norway
The High Fidelity Cables from Rick Shultz are up there with the best to much lower prices than some of the ones mentioned here. Not saying that they are better, but these are very good. Good luck.

NMMark1962

Jun 29, 2013
Santa Fe, NM
Did I miss something? I mean, what's the system you'll be putting these cables on? Have you picked speaker/electronics yet?

alexandre

Okay....speakers under scrutiny....Focal Grande Utopia EM, Rockport Arrakis, Evolution Acoustics MMSeven/MMThree, Wilson Alexandria XLF and MBL's 101 eXtreme's...

Amps: unless I hate them when I hear them later this year, the new Boulder 3050 monoblocks and the upcoming 2110 Preamplifier

Digital Front End: dCS Vivaldi

That's about it for now....

Cheers,

NMMark1962

Jun 29, 2013
Santa Fe, NM
I have a friend in Dallas (Albert Porter) with all Purist 25th anniversary cabling. That is literally one of the best systems I've ever heard

Are you referring to Albert's system with the big Dali's or is what you heard with his new Focal Grande Utopia EM's????

MANY thanks,

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
I have a friend in Dallas (Albert Porter) with all Purist 25th anniversary cabling. That is literally one of the best systems I've ever heard. I have some Purist and mostly Transparent' s...both my former Wilson Maxx 3's and current Rockport Altairs are internally wired with Transparent...and a lil synergy at work I suspect...The Purist definitely belong on your list.

I do not think you have to go all the way up to Opus to get great Transparent cables...I have a few Ref XL MM2's (din to rca, then 2 rca-rca from SUT to phono stage, then phono to pre). Then Trans Ref MM MM2 from pre to amp and amp to speaker...so my analog is all Transparent.

I find the Shunyata power cords/conditioners to be great...your list might have better options on the signal cables...but i don't have first hand knowledge here...just have 2 friends that did the Shunyata-Transparent comparison. Both had Shunyata power cords. They kept the Transparent signal cables and stuck with Shunyata on power..

In the end...all of this comes down to what you prefer in your system...no hard and fast rules...

Any Listening notes on the sonic signature of the 25th or other Purist cables in general ? Thanks

mauidan

Member Sponsor
Aug 2, 2010
Pukalani, HI
NMMark1962,

If the jury hasn't rendered it's final decision, take a look at MG Audio cables for your ICs & SCs.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Are you referring to Albert's system with the big Dali's or is what you heard with his new Focal Grande Utopia EM's????

MANY thanks,

Hi, well actually both systems. I haven't had a lot of time with his new Focal's...but the Focal's sound killer good, I am trying to get back up there soon for a longer/more careful listen...

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
For what it's worth, I use Purist 20th Anniversary cables on my power conditioner (a pair). And for the equipment, I normally keep Kubala Elation on the digital (DAC and transport) and Transparent Ref MM2 on the pre+power.

ICs and SC are Kubala Elation as well.

alexandre

NMMark1962

Jun 29, 2013
Santa Fe, NM
Hi, well actually both systems. I haven't had a lot of time with his new Focal's...but the Focal's sound killer good, I am trying to get back up there soon for a longer/more careful listen...

That is what I am planning on doing as soon as I can...I hope by this fall his speakers are finished breaking in though I do not know how he breaks his speakers in as people have many ways that they like to use....I send him an e-mail about every two weeks pestering him for updates!!! hehehehe

Cheers,

taters

Jun 6, 2012
NMMark1962,

If the jury hasn't rendered it's final decision, take a look at MG Audio cables for your ICs & SCs.

I think they are some of the best cables out there along with Crimson cables from Crimson Electronics. The problem is they don't cost as much as a Porsche.

IanG-UK

Apr 11, 2011
I think they are some of the best cables out there along with Crimson cables from Crimson Electronics. The problem is they don't cost as much as a Porsche.

Exactly.

Why does the market in, say, amplifiers support a price multiplier differential of 500 (or whatever) between "good" and "best" but supports a differential ten times that when it comes to cables? Indeed, not merely "supports" but "demands".

Bill Demars

Apr 28, 2010
East Greenbush, N.Y.
www.beautyofsound.com
I have been listening and represent Kaplan cables from Brooklyn, New York and I like them a lot. I have the GS Mk.II interconnects and GS Mk.II speaker cables as well as GS Mk.II source and high current power cables. They are very transparent with no veiling and provide a grain-free midrange. I have them if anybody would like to test-drive them for a week or two. Great cable for a very reasonable price.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I have been listening and represent Kaplan cables from Brooklyn, New York and I like them a lot. I have the GS Mk.II interconnects and GS Mk.II speaker cables as well as GS Mk.II source and high current power cables. They are very transparent with no veiling and provide a grain-free midrange. I have them if anybody would like to test-drive them for a week or two. Great cable for a very reasonable price.

I have some in for review too :)

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Aren't those by Occam? I've heard nothing but good things about his cables from my NY Rave buddies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing