Linn LP 12... anyone else still like this design?

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
good one:D

it must be a uK phenomeon, the naim fanbois behave similarly on their forum. over at the harbeth user group (HUG) if your posts dont jibe with their their way of thinking the mod will edit your post!

That goes against higher learning's wisdom!

class a

Jul 10, 2011
I tried to ask a question on the Linn Forum yesterday and got nothing but sarcastic remarks. So I'll try here: Do you think Q-Feet Sorbo Gel Isolation feet would work on a Linn? Also has anyone considered a Walker Audio Speed controller instead of a Lingo?

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
class a, those are two excellent questions, IMO. I suspect that the Q-Feet would be of some benefit. I have no idea as to the Walker speed controller, BUT was considering that myself up until recently. Supposedly it works with all TT's, however, I do not know how that can be.
The sarcastic remarks were probably given by Mudcrutch and Linnrd or Cymbiosis ( Peter Swain), on that forum. Both Linnrd and Mudcrutch are neophyte a'philes, with nothing better to do than try and personally attack anyone who posts on the forum anything that they are not familiar with. As for Peter Swain, he is so biased as to the table that he cannot see or hear anything wrong with it at all:eek:. It was Peter who stated that he thought the LP12 bettered a Walker!!:rolleyes: Since he's a Linn dealer, I can understand the bias, BUT the man really needs to get real, and IMHO not make such a fool of himself.

Last edited:
Third party products on the Linn forum are only considered if they have been first endorsed by a Linn Dealer, who obviously receives a cut for his endorsement. I dont buy into this BS as I sell direct..

Funily enough I was once told by a customer who had our sub-chassis installed buy a very well known Linn forum dealer that our upgrade sounded awesome. When I asked him what the dealer thought of the upgrade, he responded that the dealers response was.. "I don't comment on items I don't sell". That actually speaks volumes to me. Another Linn dealer told me that our chassis upgrade was very good indeed - I was there to hear it against the official Linn deck - he was right it is very good - it slaughtered the Linn jobby.

Regarding the use of Sorbothane on an LP12, does not the new Trampolin 2 base employ Sorbothane as an isolation material?

To anyone wishing to try out something different I'd encourage them to do it. Find out for themselves and to trust ones own ears is the best advice I can give.

Last edited:
Steve, you may remove his post if you feel it is out of order and does not meet with your AUP

The is the "pile of shite I make on the kitchen table" for the LP12 as so eloquently stated in my "reputation" by one Linn forum member who shall remain nameless, though I guess Davey F knows exactly who it is that I refer to?

Apologies for the picture quality - I shall have to get myself a better camera for they don't do the product any justice at all

P1000788.JPG

P1000789.JPG

Last edited:

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
John, I think your product looks like a very high quality piece. The creep that you are referring to on the other forum wouldn't know the difference between a Bose radio and a Lamm/ Wilson XLF system. I have no patience for someone of his ilk, I would advise you do the same:).

John, I think your product looks like a very high quality piece. The creep that you are referring to on the other forum wouldn't know the difference between a Bose radio and a Lamm/ Wilson XLF system. I have no patience for someone of his ilk, I would advise you do the same:).

Thank you very much Davey. Indeed I will heed your advice and refrain soon, but right now the Linn forum is such a laugh - reading the appalling advice the creep is giving a junior member with respect to correct LP12 "set-up".

The man is showing all and sundry that he is nothing more than a fool of the highest order.:D

Regards.

John R.

Last edited:

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I tried to ask a question on the Linn Forum yesterday and got nothing but sarcastic remarks. So I'll try here: Do you think Q-Feet Sorbo Gel Isolation feet would work on a Linn? Also has anyone considered a Walker Audio Speed controller instead of a Lingo?

Years ago, I tried a VPI SDS on my Linn Valhalla and it improved the sound. I don't know however how that would compare to the current Linn/Lingo product.

class a

Jul 10, 2011
Went to my dealer yesterday w/my Linn to try out the Q-Feet. We tried 4 then 8 feet. The 4 sounded very good the bottom was tighter and sounded very nice. When we added the extra set a whole new ballgame. More detail on the top plus much more air between the instruments. We were using a Parasound JC-1,2,3 set up w/a pair of Aerial 7T's. Took it home w/the same results. I don't know I may be a heretic and may be banned fro the House of Linn but I got excellent results. Next, maybe if I can find it a replacement for the felt mat.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Went to my dealer yesterday w/my Linn to try out the Q-Feet. We tried 4 then 8 feet. The 4 sounded very good the bottom was tighter and sounded very nice. When we added the extra set a whole new ballgame. More detail on the top plus much more air between the instruments. We were using a Parasound JC-1,2,3 set up w/a pair of Aerial 7T's. Took it home w/the same results. I don't know I may be a heretic and may be banned fro the House of Linn but I got excellent results. Next, maybe if I can find it a replacement for the felt mat.

class a, your experience with the new feet does not surprise me too much. Seems to be that many of the guys at the house of Linn are so totally closed minded that they miss out on a great deal of potential improvement. I use my LP12 with a Townsend Seismic sink under the TT. The improvements are substantial across the board. The Linnies were busy decrying this support in favor of the Trampolin 2. Funny thing is that all of the Linn people I have talked to, have told me on the side, that they think the Townsend is a FAR superior support to their Trampolin 2...and as they say: 'the proof is in the pudding', LOL:D.

Last edited:

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Thank you very much Davey. Indeed I will heed your advice and refrain soon, but right now the Linn forum is such a laugh - reading the appalling advice the creep is giving a junior member with respect to correct LP12 "set-up".

The man is showing all and sundry that he is nothing more than a fool of the highest order.:D

Regards.

John R.

John, I looked at the thread on the Linn forum....what a complete and total moron this guy is!! Gives advise that IF followed would destroy the OP's motor on his table...:eek::eek: What I truly do not understand is why the mods over there don't put a stop to the guy?? Too crazy!

Dead right Davey; he just hasn't got a clue.

Apparently in the past, (according to him) he was a bit of a hob knobber with the head honchos of Matsushita - yeah quite possibly! Until they sussed him out for what he really is - a bullshitter.

As for the Linn forum I think he's kept on board as a joker -you know, imbuing a humourous element to proceedings.

His "brown tonguing" episodes are also quite distasteful.

Nevertheless, I've added once more to his negative rep for his rather childish name calling attacks on those who have a difference of opinion.

Man, that guy's such an oaf! It won't be long before his schoolyard chums rally with meritless positives for him and negs for me!

Ah well, such is life. :confused:

Regards

John

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
John, I went back on the same thread and was amazed to see that one of the Linn dealer's had the temerity to post a scathing and obnoxious reply to Sonndek ( his paying customer:eek:). The post essentially treated the poor paying customer as IF he was a child and decried him for having the unmitigated gall to even touch his own LP12!! Poor Sonndek replied with such a weak rebuttal that I was amazed! I can tell you, IF a dealer EVER had the temerity or audacity to treat me like that, his days as anyone who I would do business with are DONE. Incredible, I cannot believe who this guy thinks he is!!:eek:

class a

Jul 10, 2011
Just about every forum has a gang. They all seem to pounce at once. This group isn't any different. By the way I checked the screws on my Linn, they were exactly like the picture. Should I turn my dealers name in??

John, I went back on the same thread and was amazed to see that one of the Linn dealer's had the temerity to post a scathing and obnoxious reply to Sonndek ( his paying customer:eek:). The post essentially treated the poor paying customer as IF he was a child and decried him for having the unmitigated gall to even touch his own LP12!! Poor Sonndek replied with such a weak rebuttal that I was amazed! I can tell you, IF a dealer EVER had the temerity or audacity to treat me like that, his days as anyone who I would do business with are DONE. Incredible, I cannot believe who this guy thinks he is!!:eek:

Some Linn dealers have the self belief that only God is equal to them when it comes to LP12's Well what else can we expect when they foster this superiority over the fools who are prepared to pay for it?

Also the odious Mudcrutch has the temirity to call me a tosser in my rep - Lord give me strength! I only remain on that forum for a laugh, it really is that good! The guy in question is obviously seriously disjointed.

Regards

John R.

Just about every forum has a gang. They all seem to pounce at once. This group isn't any different. By the way I checked the screws on my Linn, they were exactly like the picture. Should I turn my dealers name in??

I dare say, but the Linn forum is the worlds worst class a.. There are many that a far more welcoming, friendly and helpful, including this one.

Regards

John R.

Last edited:

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Some Linn dealers have the self belief that only God is equal to them when it comes to LP12's Well what else can we expect when they foster this superiority over the fools who are prepared to pay for it?

Also the odious Mudcrutch has the temirity to call me a tosser in my rep - Lord give me strength! I only remain on that forum for a laugh, it really is that good! The guy in question is obviously seriously disjointed.
QUOTE]

Regards

John R.

John, I saw that remark! Crazy that this guy can get away with stuff like that! I gave him another negative and I'm sure I'll get the same back. LOL.

QUOTE]

Regards

John R.

John, I saw that remark! Crazy that this guy can get away with stuff like that! I gave him another negative and I'm sure I'll get the same back. LOL.

No worries Davey, I have broad shoulders and been called much worse than that on forums. Thanks for your continued support though!

Have you noticed that particular individuals lack of understanding for common words....?

e.g. the difference between to and too; their and there and finally your and you're..

I'm actually quite happy for the fools to continue with their insults, as it serves to display the level of intelligence and lack of decorum on that forum.

Kind regards

John

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
No worries Davey, I have broad shoulders and been called much worse than that on forums. Thanks for your continued support though!

Have you noticed that particular individuals lack of understanding for common words....?

e.g. the difference between to and too; their and there and finally your and you're..

I'm actually quite happy for the fools to continue with their insults, as it serves to display the level of intelligence and lack of decorum on that forum.

Kind regards

John

Bad English and spelling are alive everywhere and this forum is no exception.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
I truly believe that it is best to have the right spelling when you post on serious forums of the Internet.

Me I love to be corrected each time I make an error (typo, grammar, etc.); that's how I improve my communication's skill.
And if it's good (best) for me I logically deduct that it is also good for the other people.

For sure it's not a big deal, but it does provide:
1. Better understanding.
2. Less misunderstanding.
3. Clarity.
4. Less confusion.
5. A sense of educated people.
6. A definite representation of education's level.
7. And simply a better and more solid platform of communication.

That's me, and what I truly believe.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Today, I finally got my upgraded Linn back from my dealer for a listen...

WOW:eek:

WOW-- the Radikal D upgrade is all that everyone has said about it and more. Holy **** this is something else!
I had the table upgraded with the latest power supply ( Radikal D) and a new sub chassis and bearing. So now it is the LP12 Radikal D with Cirkus and Magik Kore. The improvements are nothing short of well....Radikal!
The stage has widened considerably and the dynamic jump of instruments has gone to another plane! Bass has firmed up and all instruments sound a LOT more like they do in real life! Small details that were lost in the mix are now brought to life and another veil has been lifted. The sound of handclaps on the Waltz for Debby LP are now so realistic, that my young daughter called it spooky!
I was a little hesitant to do this upgrade as I had always thought that my original TT with the Valhalla supply and old bearing was very good...it was hard for me to believe some of the hype that has followed the table over the years....
NOPE the hype is not hype at all, it is 100% accurate and more!!
To anyone contemplating an upgrade of their LP12 to Radikal D status, all I can say is- go for it as soon as funds allow.:)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing