Don_Camillo on knocking down, draging out the Linn LP12 to get it even more the best player of the world

Don_Camillo

Jun 26, 2022
Vienna
tempo333.blogspot.com
Nice work, Don. Nice thread too.

I'd like to recommend that you consider replacing the LINN Springs with ...
I´d rather doubt that. Original Linn springs have resonance frequency situated at 6 Hz, those gel mushrooms at 23 up to 49 Hz depending on the sub chassis weight. This is in the audible range and consequenly an absolute NoGo.

SONDEKNZ

Mar 2, 2021
I´d rather doubt that. Original Linn springs have resonance frequency situated at 6 Hz, those gel mushrooms at 23 up to 49 Hz depending on the sub chassis weight. This is in the audible range and consequenly an absolute NoGo.
You need to talk to some of the hundreds of LP12 enthusiasts who have made the switch to springless - and will never return.

Or perhaps see if you can find someone to demo a springless LP12?

Don_Camillo

Jun 26, 2022
Vienna
tempo333.blogspot.com
I would do that if anyone o them can provide a measurement of Signal to noise ratio and rumple to noise level in front of. As long as these measurements are not available, these mushrooms are a no-go because they have a resonance frequency in the audible range and will significantly worsen these two values and consequently the technical performance.

SONDEKNZ

Mar 2, 2021
Don,

Nobody will be able to provide the data you have asked for. The best you can expect is to read the many global raves from actual owners - who adore their LPs - and have made the change.

As you have touched upon, these pressurised silicone mushrooms are carrying the full weight of not only the sub-chassis, but also the combined weight of the cart, tonearm and counterweights, main bearing, sub-platter and outer-platter - platter-mat and LP!

These weight factors significantly change the frequency characteristics… But forget about getting measurement data. The springless LP12 needs to be heard, to be appreciated.

LinnArts of Sweden sell all of the Linn bits and bobs, right up to RADIKAL level. Lennart of LinnArts considers “springless” to be the highest form of LP12.

Fair enough if you aren’t game to try the mushroom-based suspension system, but be careful not to overthink it on the blind… ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: krugdoktor

Don_Camillo

Jun 26, 2022
Vienna
tempo333.blogspot.com
Fair enough if you aren’t game to try the mushroom-based suspension system, but be careful not to overthink it on the blind… ;)
I don't doubt that it sounds different with mushrooms. We've already made modifications like this when you were probably still swimming in Adam's sausage cauldron. Back then, the springs were stuffed with foam or stuck in several layers of shrink tubing. So I also know how the difference manifests itself: sadly you are just stuck with one effect.

I also pointed at based on the data sheet, it does not represent an improvement in playback and is therefore not an option for me. I also don't understand why you want to explain to me which weights are included in the calculation. Even with a Dynavector 505 tonearm on the deck, we would be in the weight range specified in the data sheet and therefore always in the no-go situation of a resonance frequency between 23 and 49 Hz.

So I continue to call this mod an absolute no-go

Reactions: krugdoktor

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing