Linear power supply for more disk player models out there...

Coris

May 27, 2016
Norway
It is now well known about the improvements an linear power supply it brings when using it in audio/video signal source devices. I have started with designing LPS for Oppo players (beside an extended game of other upgrades). Now all Oppo player models it benefit of my LPS. I have then extended the LPS approach for other players models as well, as Panasonic and Pioneer. The result is indeed an dramatically improvement for both video and audio quality delivered by these signal sources. Almost all the consumer devices, it are powered today by switching mode PSUs, which in most cases it are extremely noisy (electrical noise). I try to correct this consumer cheap design approach...
Hereby are pictured my last LPSes for Panasonic UB9000 model, and Pioneer LX500, as the one developed for Oppo models.

LPS - Panasonic UB9000
LPSl - UB9000.jpg

LPS - Pioneer LX500
LX500 - LPS.jpg

LPS - Oppo all player models
NewVersionLPS.jpg

agisthos

Oct 14, 2012
Back in the Oppo 93/103 days I experimented with many different LPS upgrades, and Coris was the best. I had two different ones of his design for the Oppo 93, the 1st being a prototype, and then a third LPS revision for the Oppo 103 (to be specific a CA 752, same internal product as Oppo) which I still use today.

The LPS improves everything re: audio and video, but also the digital spdif output for feeding to a DAC. I use my Oppo as a digital transport with the audio board removed, and a SAW clock upgrade to the mainboard, and other mods like Audiopoints footers.

btw Coris it's been a long time, good to see you still doing this.

What do you think of the Panasonic and Pioneer new 4k players, do you have a preference for either? There is video performance, analogue audio output, and digital audio output to compare. It would be great to get your thoughts on these 3 things, especially POST your LPS upgrade.

Coris

May 27, 2016
Norway
Well, talking about the upgraded devices, the Oppo it still be the best all in one player (all models), at their time. The performances Oppo it still provide (again it is about upgraded devices), it is very good, but more and more it get surpassed technologically, by the new devices on marked.
I mean here first about the digital section, processor and software.
We have now available Panasonic and Pioneer, which it benefit somehow of new, better components. The issue with these models, is not that "all in one" approach which we have benefit from Oppo. Each new model it have something good, but some not so good as well (I refer to the upgraded devices). Both Panasonic and Pioneer, it have better digital performances, especially better picture than Oppo. Panasonic UB9000 it have a well elaborated sound section for both digital and analogue sections. In revers, the main processor performances I appreciate it as enough poor. And worst of all is their firmware and the lack of interest from Panasonic to support/improve further the player firmware. Panasonic digital processing is slower, and the firmware many issues was never addressed. However, with the LPS inside as the rest of the upgrades for digital section, the picture quality is very good (better than Oppo). The sound section it have dedicated DAC chips for stereo and multi-channel, many local linear small regulators in the power system, for different internal audio circuits, as an elaborated analog final stage for both stereo RCA/XLR and multichannel (RCA). After upgrades, the sound section it perform excellent indeed. This is the big plus of the UB9000 player.
I have to say that Pioneer (upgraded) it deliver indeed the best picture so far. The digital processing is superior than in Panasonic, very fast processor, as the whole digital processing. A much better firmware (I was not confronted here with annoying issues as in Panasonic). The sound section (analogue) is instead a cheaper stereo solution in LX500 (stock device), which it can be improved quite much after upgrades. No multi-channel analogue outputs. LX800 is indeed a higher end class device, but for this device I have not yet any upgrade so far (I may need an device for LPS developing and researches for upgrades). However, I appreciate the LX800 as very good candidate for the highest end quality level after upgrades. The LX800 is in similar class as Oppo 205, but much better performances. LX500 upgraded it is actually the best compromise price/high quality, with an amazing good picture.
My LPS for both all Oppo models, Panasonic UB9000, and LX500 it are available. I hope finishing also one day, the LPS for LX800 (and further upgrade approaches) as soon as I will be able to have this device on my bench (big discount in such case)...

Last edited:

Jourdoktorn

Oct 13, 2021
It is now well known about the improvements an linear power supply it brings when using it in audio/video signal source devices. I have started with designing LPS for Oppo players (beside an extended game of other upgrades). Now all Oppo player models it benefit of my LPS. I have then extended the LPS approach for other players models as well, as Panasonic and Pioneer. The result is indeed an dramatically improvement for both video and audio quality delivered by these signal sources. Almost all the consumer devices, it are powered today by switching mode PSUs, which in most cases it are extremely noisy (electrical noise). I try to correct this consumer cheap design approach...
Hereby are pictured my last LPSes for Panasonic UB9000 model, and Pioneer LX500, as the one developed for Oppo models.

LPS - Panasonic UB9000
View attachment 78325

LPS - Pioneer LX500
View attachment 78326

LPS - Oppo all player models
View attachment 78327
Hi,

saw your ad. I live in Sollentuna Sweden and am interested in your LPS upgrade for Oppo 205. I boughr my unit from Modwright in the US and it has the premium upgrade with tubes and an LPS 9.0 for the DAC. Woulkd I benefif from your LPS-board upgrade?

Best regards
Jan Nyström

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing