LDMS Server

I just got my upgraded LDMS. I also hooked up the switch he sent me.

Reactions: christoph
@Willgolf

How’s it sounding Will? Eager to hear your thoughts.

Reactions: ihmeyers
@Willgolf

How’s it sounding Will? Eager to hear your thoughts.
I set the LDMS up on Monday. I did not want to share my thoughts right out of the gate. I let the LDMS run non-stop for 3 days. I also connected Lucas's upgraded switch that he has at the front end of my network.
I played a lot of different music but tried to focus on Jazz and Indie rock where musical instruments are at their best. I can say Lucas never fails me. This is my second LDMS with an upgraded SPDIF reclocker. I am a detail listener. I really don't listen to any words. I listen to the instruments. The LDMS highlights each instrument like it is supposed to sound as if you were at a live concert. Everything is so clear and concise. Vocals are emphasized. Even a background cymbal is prevalent. I am very happy.

For anyone interested, my first LDMS is available for delivery in the USA Lucas D owns it and I am sure you could get a good deal from him if you contact him. Here are the specs:
LDMS Mini mk1 spec:

Roon Core, or any other library management software, quad-core intel platinum silicon,
16GB RAM
RJ 45 LAN
LC Fibre LAN
SPDIF RCA output
Ideon Black Star USB reclocker
2x 4TB SSD for music storage
Basic RCA SPDIF output
Reclocker USB audio output
Chassis RFI screening
Chassis Vibration dampening
David Laboga umbillical DC Cable
Latest Separate and upgraded Power Supply
Approximately, 5+tbs of music on the hard drive
Tidal and Qobuz ready.

Attachments

• IMG_0037.jpeg
    IMG_0037.jpeg
    552.5 KB · Views: 41
I set the LDMS up on Monday. I did not want to share my thoughts right out of the gate. I let the LDMS run non-stop for 3 days. I also connected Lucas's upgraded switch that he has at the front end of my network.
I played a lot of different music but tried to focus on Jazz and Indie rock where musical instruments are at their best. I can say Lucas never fails me. This is my second LDMS with an upgraded SPDIF reclocker. I am a detail listener. I really don't listen to any words. I listen to the instruments. The LDMS highlights each instrument like it is supposed to sound as if you were at a live concert. Everything is so clear and concise. Vocals are emphasized. Even a background cymbal is prevalent. I am very happy.

For anyone interested, my first LDMS is available for delivery in the USA Lucas D owns it and I am sure you could get a good deal from him if you contact him. Here are the specs:
LDMS Mini mk1 spec:

Roon Core, or any other library management software, quad-core intel platinum silicon,
16GB RAM
RJ 45 LAN
LC Fibre LAN
SPDIF RCA output
Ideon Black Star USB reclocker
2x 4TB SSD for music storage
Basic RCA SPDIF output
Reclocker USB audio output
Chassis RFI screening
Chassis Vibration dampening
David Laboga umbillical DC Cable
Latest Separate and upgraded Power Supply
Approximately, 5+tbs of music on the hard drive
Tidal and Qobuz ready.
If I remember correctly, you purchased the Maximus to replace the Mini MK1 you noted above?

How are you connecting it to your preamp OR DAC - AES/EBU, USB, etc.? I also assume you have a good power cord on it as well?

Really happy for you. I assume in another week or two it should sound even better. Keep us updated.

If I remember correctly, you purchased the Maximus to replace the Mini MK1 you noted above?

How are you connecting it to your preamp OR DAC - AES/EBU, USB, etc.? I also assume you have a good power cord on it as well?

Really happy for you. I assume in another week or two it should sound even better. Keep us updated.
The one I noted above was a mini in a maximus chassis with the upgraded power supply.

I have the Network Acoustic Muon Pro Ethernet cabling system that goes between the network switch and the LDMS. On my new LDMS I have a choice of USB or BNC. I have it connected to my Lampi Horizon which does not have a BNC connector, so I am using SPDIF with an adaptor for now until I get my new DAC. I ordered a QSA Lanedri BNC cable. I have a SR purple fuse in the LDMS power supply. I will either use a Hijiri Takumi PC or maybe the QSA Lanedri PC that I ordered. Finally, I like SQ of BNC/Spdif better than USB.

Reactions: Magnuska
Hats off to the folks here who played an integral role in this review and helping support newbies (like me) in finding out about LDMS!

Reactions: christoph and Golum
The one I noted above was a mini in a maximus chassis with the upgraded power supply.

I have the Network Acoustic Muon Pro Ethernet cabling system that goes between the network switch and the LDMS. On my new LDMS I have a choice of USB or BNC. I have it connected to my Lampi Horizon which does not have a BNC connector, so I am using SPDIF with an adaptor for now until I get my new DAC. I ordered a QSA Lanedri BNC cable. I have a SR purple fuse in the LDMS power supply. I will either use a Hijiri Takumi PC or maybe the QSA Lanedri PC that I ordered. Finally, I like SQ of BNC/Spdif better than USB.

Will - can u share about how you like the fuse in the LDMS PSU? How does it compare with a fuse replacement in the DAC? Thanks!

Fuses are a controversial subject just like cables and cords. In the past, I have always been a boutique fuse guy with great results in my mind with either SR or QSA fuses. I did have a SR purple in the Hybrid PSU from day 1 so I can't really compare it to the base fuse which I never used. In my new LDMS I did not add the SR Purple fuse immediately but did add it after 4 hours of listening. It is hard to say whether my sound improved because of the fuse or that
i had 90 hours of run time on the LDMS.

I would say it can't hurt but there are no guarantees it will add another level. I would rather focus on the cables from your network and the cables from the LDMS to your source.

I‘m also using a sr purple in the hybrid psu. A fuse can be a great and not so super expensive upgrade. To get the best out of each component every possible tweak’s necessary imo. Cables, fuses, footers, platforms, tubes and a few of these esoteric vodoo things also work well. To me it’s worth to invest in fuses and I never would go back to the standard ones. I tried sr orange, sr purple, AM ultimate premiere, AM M1 and a few other high end tuning fuses… Best combo in my sys is AM ultimate premier + sr purple so far. Purple for the mids, bass, resolution and attack, AM for the heights, airy sound and depth. As next I‘ll try the sr master one day...

I now have roughly 200 hours of listening on my latest LDMS. It is really a major complement to my Horizon. The LDMS right now is my favorite component including the Lampi Horizon and Aries Cerat Essentia Mono amps. Now that is a bold statement!

What isolation devices have you guys tried under the LDMS and what have you found?
I'm using BDR cones on a hardwood platform, am still deciding on whether it's a noticeable improvement...

What isolation devices have you guys tried under the LDMS and what have you found?
I'm using BDR cones on a hardwood platform, am still deciding on whether it's a noticeable improvement...
35kg of Aluminum slab in a form of CHP d1 transport makes just a perfect isolation platform - can’t complain at all :cool:

Last edited:
I’m using Symposium Svelte Shelf - Also used Rollerblocks, NovaPad, ebony wood cones, etc… Imo LDMS doesn’t react sensitive on footers etc. (My Roon core is running on LDMS optimized NAS)

I would give Herbie's Tenderfoot footers a try, Keith. They provide excellent vibration isolation for the price. I have 'em under EtherREGEN and my Akasa-cased NUC Roon core. They're only like 16 bucks apiece.

Reactions: keithc
I had Townshend Pods under mine. Then I had a custom Adona Component rack and I got rid of all of the isolation springs. I don't think you need them on a LDMS but you might want to ask Lucas what his thoughts are. I love my LDMS.

I've got a demo set of Hifistay Hardpoints at the moment and they make a pretty big difference, but not sure I can justify the cost of them relative to the LDMS itself tho!

Reactions: christoph
Must say these from Stack audio seems interesting.

Reactions: Miki70
I was lucky enough to have Lukasz stay with me the last 24 hours. He had a pair of Horns FP15 speakers to sell and since I bought his original FP10s from him, I was enticed to try their (significantly) bigger brothers. He brought them round after the Daventry show but in addition to this, he has also loaned me the (significantly) upgraded power supply for the LDMS server, and my goodness what a difference it makes!

It brings a richer, darker and far more controlled delivery to the bass, improves timing, coherence and musicality; the music pours forth in fabulously controlled way; cymbals splash with a spine tingling and crisp leading edge and bass notes are taught and tuneful.

Well worth the investment.

I was lucky enough to have Lukasz stay with me the last 24 hours. He had a pair of Horns FP15 speakers to sell and since I bought his original FP10s from him, I was enticed to try their (significantly) bigger brothers. He brought them round after the Daventry show but in addition to this, he has also loaned me the (significantly) upgraded power supply for the LDMS server, and my goodness what a difference it makes!

It brings a richer, darker and far more controlled delivery to the bass, improves timing, coherence and musicality; the music pours forth in fabulously controlled way; cymbals splash with a spine tingling and crisp leading edge and bass notes are taught and tuneful.

Well worth the investment.
Nice, I recently bought a pair of FP 12. Very pleased so far.I guess you have som more bass now

Attachments

• IMG_20231004_170742.jpg
    IMG_20231004_170742.jpg
    568.7 KB · Views: 16

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing