Lampizator Valve / Tube Rolling Review Thread

Willgolf

Jul 21, 2019
Gold Canyon, Az
Thanks Gents and i will order a SE aqua 274b to compare with Tak 274b, any one have both on hands now?
Well, it will be interesting to hear your comments. I hear the Tak 274 is like the holy grail. If the SE aqua is super close you could save me from spending $1100. ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) LOL

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
I hear the Tak 274 is like the holy grail.
Taka is a fantastic recti on its own right but in some systems its far from being holy grail and in some it may be - in mine its not for example and I know quite a few guys with the same sentiment. Putting the price tag in equation then its really far away from that.

Lukasz "Lampizator" Fikus

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jan 29, 2020
As long as I have had my Pacific, I have used the KR Audio 5U4G rectifier tube. I ordered a Sophia Electric Aqua 274B with the intent of using it in the Horizon if I ever get it. I was nervous because the SE Aqua is a 4 pin Rectifier. I asked Lampi whether that would work without an adaptor and they said yes.
Today, I decided to try in my Pacific. I can't believe how much better my Pacific sounds with this rectifier tube. The Sophia Electric Aqua 274B costs $199. For people not wanting to spend over $1k for the Tak 274B this is a great tube to try.
I never heard of that rectifier, considering todays prices (KR and EML going up 25%) this is like a bargain. So far the KR5u4GRK is my favourite. I also love the Linlai 6550 pentodes, GEC U52 recti, TungSol KT150.

Rob181

Oct 1, 2014
I never heard of that rectifier, considering todays prices (KR and EML going up 25%) this is like a bargain. So far the KR5u4GRK is my favourite. I also love the Linlai 6550 pentodes, GEC U52 recti, TungSol KT150.
How does a NOS GEC U52 sound compared to the others mentioned...

Bbock

Apr 11, 2022
Illinois
So far the Sophia Aqua 274b is the one to beat in my upgraded Atlantic TRP

Sablon Audio

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
May 22, 2015
@Lukasz "Lampizator" Fikus - would you like me to send you a brimar cv1863 as a thank you gift for my wonderful Baltic? :)

Reactions: Miki70

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
beautiful sounding L63 on the new Baltic 3, replacing 6SN7

IMG_0173.jpg
IMG_0189.jpg IMG_0190.jpg IMG_0188.jpg IMG_0191.jpg

Sampajanna

Apr 1, 2021
Just got home from a month in Europe to find a package with a Taka 274B and some Mullard drivers I got from a special WBF friend here. Excited to see what happens. Gonna let things warm up first after a month of being off….

• Love
Reactions: christoph

Sampajanna

Apr 1, 2021
Half a day in and I can already say that the Taka is a nice step up from the Franky, which is still a super great rectifier… Taka is more open. Soundstage deepened and widened and things all tightened up a bit, especially in the bass. I am using the TS power tubes and Sylvania metal base 6SN7 drivers in case you are wondering.

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
I just received a used GG2 that was upgraded to a 3 (in all but name) on the way. It came with Sophia Royal Princess tubes (300B & 274B), both of which seem awfully good so far, at least at this early stage of re-burn in. Among a few other power tubes that have been suggested to me, I haven't been able to find any mention about the Taka 300B's tonality, only its other qualities. Does it have any degree of warmth?

jbrrp1

Aug 3, 2020
I just received a used GG2 that was upgraded to a 3 (in all but name) on the way. It came with Sophia Royal Princess tubes (300B & 274B), both of which seem awfully good so far, at least at this early stage of re-burn in. Among a few other power tubes that have been suggested to me, I haven't been able to find any mention about the Taka 300B's tonality, only its other qualities. Does it have any degree of warmth?
I used a pair of Tak 300B's in my GG1.5, and I found them warmer and softer than most. Could be a great fit in some systems, but it wasn't in mine at the time. I actually liked the Psvane 101D WE 1:1 tubes the best fit then. Horses for courses!

godofwealth

Feb 8, 2022
I use a Western Electric 274B rectifier in my Pacific. It’s heads and shoulders above the KR 5U4G I had before. Unfortunately it’s expensive and hard to find. I use Sophia Electric 274Bs on my Triode Labs 45 monoblocks. These sound very nice and are much less expensive. I also have a pair of Sophia Acqua 274Bs that are new in the box. I haven’t tried them yet.

Reactions: Willgolf

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
The Aquas are very different. Much more open and dynamic. They are not talked about as much here because many of the contributors are in Europe, as are many top tube brands but not Sophia.

I'm recalling Golum's comment that the GG2 was a different beast than the GG1, so the tube synergy was likely different. The GG3 probably extends that.

Sampajanna

Apr 1, 2021
Im trying some ECC31I got from a fellow WBF member now. SO SO different than my 6SN7–louder, bigger and more full bodied, but also less refined. Could be they need different rest/power. Also more bass, especially mid bass. The gain is about 30% more as well according to amp gauges…. Very interesting sound. Will let them warm up and see more

Last edited:

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Congrats on the GG3 :cool:

I'm not a big fan of 300b tubes in Lampi DACs (I haven't heard the Royal Princesses, though), except for the Taka 300b and those only in conjunction with the Taka 274b recti.
In the Pacific, we called the Taka combo "the holy trinity".
Very beautiful but also very expensive :eek:

Over all, I preferred the RK 242 output tubes as allround tubes but as a flavor, I would have loved the "holy trinity" if not for it's price of admission.

I you search this site for "holy trinity" you might find some info.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Im trying some ECC31I got from a fellow WBF member now. SO SO different than my 6SN7–louder, bigger and more full bodied, but also less refined. Could be they need different rest/power. Also more bass, especially mid bass. The gain is about 30% more as well according to amp gauges…. Very interesting sound. Will let them warm up and see more
Compared to which 6SN7 ?

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Gene I would advise you to read this thread - one of the first pages where we did massive tube rolling at Chris place and many answers will be there.

Last edited:

Sampajanna

Apr 1, 2021
Compared to which 6SN7 ?
I have been using the metal base Sylvanias. About to order the black TS as well… Tube madness in this house

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
I have been using the metal base Sylvanias. About to order the black TS as well… Tube madness in this house
Ok, those metal base tubes are said to be amongst the very best ones.
But curious how the ECC31 develop.

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
Gene I would advise you to read this thread - one of the first pages where we did massive tube rolling at Chris place and many answers will be there.

I did read the first ten or so (of 144) pages and saw the tube rolling post before posting. Those comparisons were done with the RK 5U4G, which had me wanting to throw my system out the window, i.e., not pleasant. In that context, I don’t know what to make of the 242 results, as I found the RK recti just took over the sound (rectis seem to have that effect with Lampi dacs). In addition, the Best 300B.com operation is apparently no longer and Lampi NA tells me that Lampi Poland decided to no longer sell Kron tubes separately due to reliability issues.

Follow up: the holy trinity search is working now (was getting server error). From what I find, It seems to have been more a passing reference to what someone else said rather than a discussion.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing