LampizatOr Golden Atlantic + TRP

GroovySauce

Nov 9, 2020
@Socrates428 Thank you that is a great comparison. What are your top rectifiers?

Seems once I get some time and a feel for the TRP sound signature, I'm going to be placing an order with Sophia Electric.

Hoping to get a shipping notice in ~2 weeks.

Socrates428

Nov 28, 2018
@Socrates428 Thank you that is a great comparison. What are your top rectifiers?

Seems once I get some time and a feel for the TRP sound signature, I'm going to be placing an order with Sophia Electric.

Hoping to get a shipping notice in ~2 weeks.

Rectifier impressions In use with the Sophia kt88s:

- Brimar CV1863: Superior imaging, bass is full although better controlled, more ambient, more micro dynamics, imaging is up a notch from the Marconi. As is a typical tradeoff, this tube generates not quite as dense of an image as the Sophia, but still very solid with the Sophia kt88s and a little more inner detail comes through and more image space generated in exchange. This recti offers the best front to back layering of the 3 tubes, generally sounds good on all music types, and it's cheap.

- Marconi U50/80: Sounds energetic, dynamic, and solid sounding massive bass, perhaps too much for my bass heavy Von Schweikerts and Pass XA100.8s. This guy is fun for Spielberg movies, although a bit much for music in long listening sessions.

- Sophia 274b (the OG, not the new mark II model): A bit less dynamic, a bit flatter soundstage, although greater detail and resulting superior and wonderful image density; it is just not as "punchy" or "driving" as the other two. On some music, such as solo voice and simple string compositions, this tube is often the superior recti over the other 2. Also, this tube sings with the el34s and F2a's. It also helps tame the Tesla el50's and especially the Tesla el51s in my system.

Any which way, the joy (/optimizers torment) of Lampizator dacs is the ability to swap in tubes to change the flavor, so I certainly suggest getting multiple sets to play to suit your mood and keep things lively. Related, I recently had a Meitner MA3 dac in house for a month and found it nice overall, although putting the TRP back in my system, with excellent tubes, was a satisfying sigh of digital relief resulting from the TRPs flow, ease and sheer beauty that beget the illusion of realism that the Meitner couldn't quite create despite its virtues.

Last edited:

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Also, this tube sings with the el34s and F2a's. It also helps tame the Tesla el50's and especially the Tesla el51s in my system.
What needs to be tamed with the Tesla EL51 ?

Socrates428

Nov 28, 2018
What needs to be tamed with the Tesla EL51 ?
To anthropomorphize, the Tesla EL51 can sound aggressive or even strident with some of the other rectifiers I've tried, although with off the charts dynamics when matched to the right recti. To me, this tube can sound more like good vinyl in this way with the extra helping of dynamics and a full, resonant character overlaid on its blazing fast speed. A fun tube to rotate in for sure as it sounds like nothing else (closest to the couple of EL50s I have).

Edit: This post made me dust off the Teslas. I'm loving them with the Brimar that I hadn't paired them with before, more so than the Sophia or Frankentube or GZ480, Marconi or others. I'm going to try them with an a RCA globe 280 and then the new Sophia 274B mark II when it arrives next for fun next.

Last edited:

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
To anthropomorphize, the Tesla EL51 can sound aggressive or even strident with some of the other rectifiers I've tried, although with off the charts dynamics when well matched to the recti. To me, this tube can sound more like good vinyl in this way with the extra helping of dynamics and a full, resonant character overlaid on its blazing fast speed. A fun tube to rotate in for sure as it sounds like nothing else (although similar to the few EL50s I have).

With my previous TRP2/3, I liked the Tesla EL51 with custom made adapters from Czech, but ultimately went to the Sophia KT88 and was pleased with the improvements all around. That was with ATC powered speakers and eventually a VAC Master preamp in between.

Socrates428

Nov 28, 2018
Fascinating that the Poseidon supplied/suggested tubes work in the TRP?! I wonder if the Poseidon can conversely run el34/ktXX/etc tubes, which would be a wonderful boon for those many of us with much stock in these tubes...hmmmm...
Anyone else try a 6J5 in the TRP? I have some on order, although don't see them listed on the lamp site for compatible tubes.

I did just notice 6v6s listed as compatible, which has me hunting for the lovely Pope 6v6GTs that I used in a BAT preamp a couple of decades ago...

Reactions: Designsfx

Bbock

Apr 11, 2022
Illinois
Anyone else try a 6J5 in the TRP? I have some on order, although don't see them listed on the lamp site for compatible tubes.

I did just notice 6v6s listed as compatible, which has me hunting for the lovely Pope 6v6GTs that I used in a BAT preamp a couple of decades ago...
Will be interested in your thoughts on these tubes.

Designsfx

Sep 26, 2023
Los Angeles
I had never seen any comments anywhere on the 6J5 before I decided to try it. All of the documentation would have you using pentodes. As long as the tube voltage and heater/filament arrangement is the same I think it should work. I have two other sets of triodes in the works now- hopefully they’ll produce positive results as well.

Still listening to different styles of music with my 6J5’s in play, I want to get a better understanding of the nuances before posting more detailed impressions to the world.

Reactions: christoph

Designsfx

Sep 26, 2023
Los Angeles
So it’s been 1 week now since installing the 6J5‘s into my balanced TRP3 Golden Atlantic. This is a very interesting tube and so far and I haven’t tired of it. Please note when scanning these comments that I am using the metal version (as oppposed to glass bottles). For reference these are GE (made or branded) date coded Sept. 1949.

Gain-
Please give note to the other components in my system as my experience may not equate to yours. These tubes (indirectly heated triodes) have a much higher output than the tube I had been using previously (Sovtek 6L6WXT+) which is a tube with fairly high output.
As an example- during usual night time listening I usually have my preamp set at 18 (depending on the recording) as not to keep my other half from banging on the door. When using the 6J5 I can achieve the same listening level with the preamp set at 14.

Bass-
The bass response when using this tube has been excellent with all recordings I’ve listened to. Bass is deep, tight and fast without any of the characteristics one would attribute to being bloated. The underlying notes within those frequencies are easily discerned, much more so than with other tubes I’ve used with this Dac. Timbre is also more apparent and not as lost in the mix. One trait I really appreciate is the greatly reduced congestion I’ve experienced with other tubes.

Midrange-
The midrange is really nice here- providing good separation of notes and supporting a very natural response with reverb and ambient details. Notes from instruments sound very natural here, not overly warm nor sterile. All details across the spectrum seem to have a very level disposition maintaining clarity and presence without being harsh.

Treble-
Treble reproduction here is excellent. The presentation is not overly warm (rolled off) and delivers great clarity, detail and sparkle without getting crispy around the edges. Timbre is supported well as you can easily define the pitch of cymbals that sometimes get lost in the background. An even blending into the midrange make for comfortable listening.

Soundstage-
All of the characteristics above lead to a great soundstage. The image is focused and supports a very clear picture with regards to the placement of instruments. Stage/image depth as well as height is reproduced very well. Reverbs and decay sound very natural with an expansive reproduction that can seem to go on forever without the sense that it lies purely in the realm of treble.

These particular tubes seem to do something different but as I’m not an electronics wiz or tube expert I can’t really explain why. I do know that the difference was very apparent from the minute I started listening and I’m still discovering things in various recordings that now stand out more than did before.

As the 6J5 is listed as a medium MU triode I’ll be acquiring two additional sets of triodes to compare in the near future. One will be a general MU triode and the other a high MU triode- both indirectly heated. I hope that once I have these in hand I’ll be able to experience a little more of which flavor performs the best with the TRP 3 (and of course to my liking) before chasing various versions of the same tube.

Also coming up- my testing with the 7 pin miniature 6AQ5 in the TRP. This test is being driven by a different thought process and I had hoped to have finished the first run by now but customs delays have held up the delivery of the required adapters. Hopefully they’ll arrive soon!

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
So it’s been 1 week now since installing the 6J5‘s into my balanced TRP3 Golden Atlantic. This is a very interesting tube and so far and I haven’t tired of it. Please note when scanning these comments that I am using the metal version (as oppposed to glass bottles). For reference these are GE (made or branded) date coded Sept. 1949.

Gain-
Please give note to the other components in my system as my experience may not equate to yours. These tubes (indirectly heated triodes) have a much higher output than the tube I had been using previously (Sovtek 6L6WXT+) which is a tube with fairly high output.
As an example- during usual night time listening I usually have my preamp set at 18 (depending on the recording) as not to keep my other half from banging on the door. When using the 6J5 I can achieve the same listening level with the preamp set at 14.

Bass-
The bass response when using this tube has been excellent with all recordings I’ve listened to. Bass is deep, tight and fast without any of the characteristics one would attribute to being bloated. The underlying notes within those frequencies are easily discerned, much more so than with other tubes I’ve used with this Dac. Timbre is also more apparent and not as lost in the mix. One trait I really appreciate is the greatly reduced congestion I’ve experienced with other tubes.

Midrange-
The midrange is really nice here- providing good separation of notes and supporting a very natural response with reverb and ambient details. Notes from instruments sound very natural here, not overly warm nor sterile. All details across the spectrum seem to have a very level disposition maintaining clarity and presence without being harsh.

Treble-
Treble reproduction here is excellent. The presentation is not overly warm (rolled off) and delivers great clarity, detail and sparkle without getting crispy around the edges. Timbre is supported well as you can easily define the pitch of cymbals that sometimes get lost in the background. An even blending into the midrange make for comfortable listening.

Soundstage-
All of the characteristics above lead to a great soundstage. The image is focused and supports a very clear picture with regards to the placement of instruments. Stage/image depth as well as height is reproduced very well. Reverbs and decay sound very natural with an expansive reproduction that can seem to go on forever without the sense that it lies purely in the realm of treble.

These particular tubes seem to do something different but as I’m not an electronics wiz or tube expert I can’t really explain why. I do know that the difference was very apparent from the minute I started listening and I’m still discovering things in various recordings that now stand out more than did before.

As the 6J5 is listed as a medium MU triode I’ll be acquiring two additional sets of triodes to compare in the near future. One will be a general MU triode and the other a high MU triode- both indirectly heated. I hope that once I have these in hand I’ll be able to experience a little more of which flavor performs the best with the TRP 3 (and of course to my liking) before chasing various versions of the same tube.

Also coming up- my testing with the 7 pin miniature 6AQ5 in the TRP. This test is being driven by a different thought process and I had hoped to have finished the first run by now but customs delays have held up the delivery of the required adapters. Hopefully they’ll arrive soon!

Thank you for your extensive report :cool:

Just to be sure and for cowards like me :oops: :

You did ask Lampi if you can use these types of tubes in the TRP?

Reactions: Souldriver and fbs

Designsfx

Sep 26, 2023
Los Angeles
Thank you for your extensive report :cool:

Just to be sure and for cowards like me :oops: :

You did ask Lampi if you can use these types of tubes in the TRP?
Yes- I did! I had sent a message to Lukasz regarding two different triodes I had been wondering about. One wouldn’t work as its Cathode was directly heated but the 6J5 is not.

Reactions: christoph

jonstine

Jun 1, 2022
I just received the TP adapters that @Bblock recommended in post #2306. They’re about 4 hours in and I already notice a more sophisticated (?) presentation of the music. Like it’s a little more mature or went to finishing school. I would agree with @Bbock’s assessment that there’s more clarity and depth, too.

(EDIT: bass guitars, stand up basses, larger drums, etc have so much more complexity and nuance since the TP adapters. I listened for about 8 hrs last night, and kept being drawn into the bass lines on every song. Much more musical than before.)

And they look fantastic! I’ve been considering having a good friend powder coat my TRP a new color (not a fan of the Sahara Silver finish). Definitely want to take advantage of the new TP adapters’ visual appeal when I choose a color.

Thank you, @takacs75

Attachments

• IMG_4524.jpeg
    IMG_4524.jpeg
    573.5 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

PHAA_

Jan 4, 2024
Southeastern US
Provided there was such an adapter(s),

what is the possibility that old radio tubes will also work with the TRP? I am referring to the double digit tubes.

I am probably pushing it here but if the possibilities are that unlimited I might have to seriously consider a Lampi TRP.

Reactions: fbs

Designsfx

Sep 26, 2023
Los Angeles
Provided there was such an adapter(s),

what is the possibility that old radio tubes will also work with the TRP? I am referring to the double digit tubes.

I am probably pushing it here but if the possibilities are that unlimited I might have to seriously consider a Lampi TRP.
Which tubes specifically?

budburma

May 7, 2023
Hudson Valley, NY United States
27 (triode)
56 (triode)

58 (pentode)
47 (pentode)

35 (screen-grid tetrode)
24 (screen-grid tetrode)

80 (full-wave rectifier)
80's work well with an adapter and sound terrific.

budburma

May 7, 2023
Hudson Valley, NY United States
Nice! Everyone is jumping on those adapters, they must be good. I haven’t jumped on the F2a bandwagon, too iffy when it comes to sourcing quads and some of the pairs I’ve seen have a lot of road rash yet are still expected to pull top dollar.
Since owning this Dac (GA TRP3 Balanced- or is it 4? :rolleyes:) my favorite rectifier has been the RCA Globe 80. I’ve purchased others (Sophie Aqua 274, various 5U4’s and VT244) but still prefer the Globe. My second favorite so far is a 1944 JAN CRC 5R4GY- it’s very close to the Globe 80.
On the power tube front I have two sets of ”go to’s”. If I want a super energetic sound I run a quad of Sovtek 6L6WXT’s- of the tubes I own they have the best overall presentation when it comes to a forward sound.
For the past two weeks I’ve been using a quad of early 1960’s Sylvania 6BQ6GT’s (with adapters). This was my first “experiment“ tube and it paid off well. These tubes have a very balanced presence with a little more bottom end weight and a smooth top end.
I’m currently awaiting the arrival of other adapters so that I may try various 6AQ5A/EL90 models in which I’m hoping to realize a little more efficiency with. I have two WW2 era quads ready to go- they should be interesting.
+1 on the 6384's! I've settled into all Bendix all the time with a set of these and 6106 rectifiers. The 6106 really rounded out the body of vocals. Big, detailed, quiet, nuanced and balanced. My fave-rave at the moment. I'm going to have to check out these new fangled adapter for the 6384's!

Reactions: Golum and Bbock

Designsfx

Sep 26, 2023
Los Angeles
27 (triode)
56 (triode)

58 (pentode)
47 (pentode)

35 (screen-grid tetrode)
24 (screen-grid tetrode)

80 (full-wave rectifier)
@PHAA_
There is a post on the previous page with a picture of my GA TRP3 populated with four 6J5 triodes and a Globe 80 rectifier. Of the rectifiers I have the Globe 80 has been the best yet. As I’ve commented earlier (haven’t checked the sheets on your list) the triode will only work in the Atlantic if it is indirectly heated. A quick check of the tube data sheets will let you know. I have a couple of others on my list to try (VT-76 and 37) but I’m going to hold off on purchasing/testing those until I finish my own custom tube adapters.

Reactions: PHAA_

Designsfx

Sep 26, 2023
Los Angeles
@PHAA_
I’m not sure how well the tubes you listed would work out in the TRP as all of the tubes listed (with exception of the 80) are all 2.5V tubes (TRP is 6.3V). I don’t think it would be impossible to make them work as they are indirectly heated but you would have to construct an adapter fitted with the proper amount of resistance. Not sure how well that work out- maybe someone who is more experienced with adapters could chime in. Either way- three of the tubes listed have anode caps as well so that would leave you to constructing a multipurpose adapter or two separate adapters.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing