LampizatOr Golden Atlantic + TRP

Bbock

Apr 11, 2022
Illinois
Hmmm, not sure this makes sense.
If you look at @highstream 's post #2029, when he upgraded his TRP2 to E11, it had the JLSounds upgrade. Here's his unit's build sheet after he sold it to me.
When I bought my GA TRP3 that's recently built, it also says it has the JLSounds USB + Engine 11. Same w/ @Designsfx 's post on #2292.
My understanding was that in 2022 they switched all the USB receivers to JLSounds...

So still a mystery as to what v4 would have...

View attachment 122511
Perhaps Fred @LampiNA or Rob can comment on this. I would like to keep my TRP updated. I find it frustrating that there is so much conflicting information about the Lampi product line.

Reactions: Designsfx

fbs

Apr 22, 2019
Bavaria
Sorry, I raised the question first wrt TRP4, because I saw the note about TRP4 in the Q1 2024 price list. I followed the advice in the WBF and contacted Lampizator directly, the information is from LF directly. And indeed, the increase in SQ between TRP 2 w/ E53 and TRP w/ E11 is significantly.

jonstine

Jun 1, 2022
Sorry, I raised the question first wrt TRP4, because I saw the note about TRP4 in the Q1 2024 price list. I followed the advice in the WBF and contacted Lampizator directly, the information is from LF directly. And indeed, the increase in SQ between TRP 2 w/ E53 and TRP w/ E11 is significantly.
So, I have a TRP 3 w/E11. Both the build sheet and the rear plate say TRP 3. But the info above indicates it may now be the TRP 4? There is probably some thing(s) that are indeed different within a true, badged TRP 4, but I haven’t seen anything specific yet.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
So, I have a TRP 3 w/E11. Both the build sheet and the rear plate say TRP 3. But the info above indicates it may now be the TRP 4? There is probably some thing(s) that are indeed different within a true, badged TRP 4, but I haven’t seen anything specific yet.

I just asked LF:

Upgraded units don't get a new rear plate, just a sticker with the new engine.

Only new units get the rear plate with the newest designation.

The same applies for PAC1 upgraded to PAC2.

jonstine

Jun 1, 2022
Since this thread is getting a little more action lately, I’d like to ask what tube combinations are hot right now in the TRP?

Following this thread, and through some trial and error, I’ve settled on the Sophia Aqua II for the regulator and a quad of Siemens F2A for the output tubes.

Anyone have a similar or different preferred combo?

Bbock

Apr 11, 2022
Illinois
Since this thread is getting a little more action lately, I’d like to ask what tube combinations are hot right now in the TRP?

Following this thread, and through some trial and error, I’ve settled on the Sophia Aqua II for the regulator and a quad of Siemens F2A for the output tubes.

Anyone have a similar or different preferred combo?
I’m using the same set of tubes. The only difference is that I am using a new pair of TP tube adapters for the F2a. A positive change in clarity and depth.

Attachments

• IMG_6738.jpeg
    IMG_6738.jpeg
    392.8 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_6734.jpeg
    IMG_6734.jpeg
    771 KB · Views: 22

Designsfx

Sep 26, 2023
Los Angeles
Nice! Everyone is jumping on those adapters, they must be good. I haven’t jumped on the F2a bandwagon, too iffy when it comes to sourcing quads and some of the pairs I’ve seen have a lot of road rash yet are still expected to pull top dollar.
Since owning this Dac (GA TRP3 Balanced- or is it 4? :rolleyes:) my favorite rectifier has been the RCA Globe 80. I’ve purchased others (Sophie Aqua 274, various 5U4’s and VT244) but still prefer the Globe. My second favorite so far is a 1944 JAN CRC 5R4GY- it’s very close to the Globe 80.
On the power tube front I have two sets of ”go to’s”. If I want a super energetic sound I run a quad of Sovtek 6L6WXT’s- of the tubes I own they have the best overall presentation when it comes to a forward sound.
For the past two weeks I’ve been using a quad of early 1960’s Sylvania 6BQ6GT’s (with adapters). This was my first “experiment“ tube and it paid off well. These tubes have a very balanced presence with a little more bottom end weight and a smooth top end.
I’m currently awaiting the arrival of other adapters so that I may try various 6AQ5A/EL90 models in which I’m hoping to realize a little more efficiency with. I have two WW2 era quads ready to go- they should be interesting.

Bbock

Apr 11, 2022
Illinois
Nice! Everyone is jumping on those adapters, they must be good. I haven’t jumped on the F2a bandwagon, too iffy when it comes to sourcing quads and some of the pairs I’ve seen have a lot of road rash yet are still expected to pull top dollar.
Since owning this Dac (GA TRP3 Balanced- or is it 4? :rolleyes:) my favorite rectifier has been the RCA Globe 80. I’ve purchased others (Sophie Aqua 274, various 5U4’s and VT244) but still prefer the Globe. My second favorite so far is a 1944 JAN CRC 5R4GY- it’s very close to the Globe 80.
On the power tube front I have two sets of ”go to’s”. If I want a super energetic sound I run a quad of Sovtek 6L6WXT’s- of the tubes I own they have the best overall presentation when it comes to a forward sound.
For the past two weeks I’ve been using a quad of early 1960’s Sylvania 6BQ6GT’s (with adapters). This was my first “experiment“ tube and it paid off well. These tubes have a very balanced presence with a little more bottom end weight and a smooth top end.
I’m currently awaiting the arrival of other adapters so that I may try various 6AQ5A/EL90 models in which I’m hoping to realize a little more efficiency with. I have two WW2 era quads ready to go- they should be interesting.
I would also suggest trying the Bendix 6384. Very close in sound to the F2a.

Designsfx

Sep 26, 2023
Los Angeles
Yep-
They are much easier to be had and a relative bargain compared to others. I have those as well as the 6AR6 on my list of things to try but just haven’t gotten around to ordering yet. This past month has been more about focusing on listening rather than wondering about tubes!

Reactions: Bbock

jonstine

Jun 1, 2022
I’m using the same set of tubes. The only difference is that I am using a new pair of TP tube adapters for the F2a. A positive change in clarity and depth.
I did a quick google search, but it turned up everything from bike frames to test tubes. Do you have a link to the TP adapters? Would love to check them out.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
I would also suggest trying the Bendix 6384. Very close in sound to the F2a.
Do the Bendix 6384 also require an adapter like the F2a does?

Bbock

Apr 11, 2022
Illinois
Reactions: christoph

Designsfx

Sep 26, 2023
Los Angeles
Although the TP adapters are very elegant I found another set that I love as well- these are able to be reconfigured as needed and just scream high tech industrial design! Have you seen these?

IMG_0683.jpeg IMG_0682.jpeg IMG_0684.jpeg

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Any link?

chopchopbin

Sep 27, 2015
Hi, do your TP tube adapters for the F2a tubes require or come with a ground wire outlet? Thanks

Designsfx

Sep 26, 2023
Los Angeles
Reactions: christoph and JSA

Bbock

Apr 11, 2022
Illinois
Hi, do your TP tube adapters for the F2a tubes require or come with a ground wire outlet? Thanks
Yes, the ground wire outlet is included.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing