LampizatOr Golden Atlantic + TRP

jonstine

Jun 1, 2022
@LampiNA
Please see the above post as it seems I’m not the only one who expected a different outcome when upgrading on the Silver Sahara finish.
I voiced my expectation vs reality to Rob back in August when I received the TRP. I don’t think it’s any sort of mis-advertising or anything, and quite frankly it could be made out of old cardboard as long as it sounds as amazing as it does (and it DOES!), but the pictures of other Sahara Silver models show a different end product than what I, and possibly others, thought they were paying for.

The irony is that the knob appears to be that same pearlescent, satiny champagne-silver color. Completely different than the Sahara Silver finish on the rest of my TRP. Not sure where the disconnect was/is, and I’m 100% open to it being incorrect customer assumptions only, but it’s still not that “impressive” of a finish for the upgrade cost.

I’m extremely happy with my TRP and I don’t put any blame on Lampi or LampiNA. They both rock, and I’ve been incredibly pleased with all my communication, model upgrades, and support. I’ll probably be a Lampi fanatic until I’m out of the game.

jonstine

Jun 1, 2022
Quick update on the Sophia Aqua II saga…

I posted a couple months ago about a brand new Aqua II 274B basically melting my previous Baltic 3. Lampi serviced it and offered an upgrade path that I thought was incredibly fair. I also posted about the custom upgrades to the TRP 3, and I’ve been very happy with the change.

Sophia sent me a replacement Aqua II 274B, which I placed in the new TRP and gingerly turned it on. No issues at first. It burned in for probably 150hrs and was absolutely stunning with the Siemens F2A output tubes. 100% the best sound quality I’ve heard in my home.

Well, about 2 weeks ago I powered up the Lampi and the Aqua II put on one hell of a fireworks show inside the tube after about 2 seconds. I immediately turned off the Lampi and removed it.

Sophia has agreed to send me a 3rd Aqua II tube under warranty. I will try it and always be present in the room when it’s powered up. Hopefully the 3rd time is the charm…

I mention all this to a.) at least alert others that might be considering the Aqua II 274B in either the Baltic or TRP that there may be an unresolved issue with it in a Lampi circuit (speculation, but that’s 2 in a row in 2 different Lampis), and b.) to ask if anyone else is running the Aqua II in their Lampi, and if so how long has it been and have you had any issues?

Like I said, the Aqua II has been the absolute most dynamic, musical, fleshed out, detailed bass rectifier I’ve used. I want it to work badly. Hopefully the 3rd one will be ok.

Reactions: Mamon and Designsfx

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
Sounds like they've received a bad run or there are QC problems or, maybe, a design issue. As posted elsewhere and maybe here, I auditioned an Aqua II a few months ago for 13 days, something over 300 hours, leaving it on almost non stop. I didn't have any problem and found its sound brought a welcome improvement over the I. I did return it though, as per their offer to me, in favor of a NOS Telefunken AZ1 mesh at the time (now burning in a NOS Telefunken RGN2004 mesh, which is head and shoulders above anything I've tried in Supratek, TRP or now GG 2/3, although I'm not sure about its tone yet).

Reactions: Bbock and jonstine

Designsfx

Sep 26, 2023
Los Angeles
After reading the report from @jonstine I felt compelled To respond as my TRP was shipped with an Aqua 274B as well and thankfully I’ve not experienced any of the problems reported above.
I don’t know if there is a difference between the tube I use though as the rectifier mentioned above is called out as an “Aqua II”. I could not find any marking on my tube or the box that refers to Aqua II so maybe I have the original?
Seems strange though as he received his dac within two weeks of mine arriving but then I don’t pretend to understand what drives the choices when tubes are selected for shipping with each dac.

Reactions: jonstine

jonstine

Jun 1, 2022
After reading the report from @jonstine I felt compelled To respond as my TRP was shipped with an Aqua 274B as well and thankfully I’ve not experienced any of the problems reported above.
I don’t know if there is a difference between the tube I use though as the rectifier mentioned above is called out as an “Aqua II”. I could not find any marking on my tube or the box that refers to Aqua II so maybe I have the original?
Seems strange though as he received his dac within two weeks of mine arriving but then I don’t pretend to understand what drives the choices when tubes are selected for shipping with each dac.
To clarify, my DAC wasn’t shipped with the Aqua II, I purchased it separately. The TRP 3 was delivered with a NOS Svetlana 5C3S. You also went the Golden Atlantic route, which I believe includes better tubes than the non GA version.

The Aquas are easy to differentiate, the Aqua “I” has really pale blue glass, while the Aqua “II” has distinct dark blue glass, like royal navy or almost indigo colored. See pic from Positive Feedback.

Attachments

• IMG_3456.jpeg
    IMG_3456.jpeg
    500.1 KB · Views: 9

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
My recollection is that with Engine 11 there was no more Golden, including no more copper top. However, I have heard of cap upgrades -- or perhaps using different caps with the TRP 3 than were used in the 2.

Designsfx

Sep 26, 2023
Los Angeles
@highstream
They are still selling the “Golden” version as an upgrade- I’m going to request the true copper top as the Sahara finish turned out to be a bust. You can see details for the GA3 TRP here-
Golden Atlantic 3 TRP

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
@highstream
They are still selling the “Golden” version as an upgrade- I’m going to request the true copper top as the Sahara finish turned out to be a bust. You can see details for the GA3 TRP here-
Golden Atlantic 3 TRP

Thanks for the link, as I hadn't noticed that they have order pages now, a possible copper top for balanced versions, and a new Poseidon dac debuting tomorrow.

Anyoldears

May 31, 2023
I mention all this to a.) at least alert others that might be considering the Aqua II 274B in either the Baltic or TRP that there may be an unresolved issue with it in a Lampi circuit (speculation, but that’s 2 in a row in 2 different Lampis), and b.) to ask if anyone else is running the Aqua II in their Lampi, and if so how long has it been and have you had any issues?
I'm running the Aqua II in my Pacific. I turn the DAC off at night via remote control. No issues here, had it about 3-4 weeks. Sounds good too

Designsfx

Sep 26, 2023
Los Angeles
To All Who Roll-
I’ve noticed throughout the length of this thread there is no report or feedback of anyone using EL84/6BQ5 pentodes (with adapters) in their TRP. Has anyone tested this or did it just seem like it wasn’t a good idea? Although the wattage is lower than most of the larger pentodes it seems like some of these are pretty powerful. I’ve also heard that the performance can be excellent (within the proper circuit of course). Just wondering…

Reactions: christoph

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
To All Who Roll-
I’ve noticed throughout the length of this thread there is no report or feedback of anyone using EL84/6BQ5 pentodes (with adapters) in their TRP. Has anyone tested this or did it just seem like it wasn’t a good idea? Although the wattage is lower than most of the larger pentodes it seems like some of these are pretty powerful. I’ve also heard that the performance can be excellent (within the proper circuit of course). Just wondering…
Please try them.
You might be onto something fabulous.

Designsfx

Sep 26, 2023
Los Angeles
Please try them.
You might be onto something fabulous.
I’ve been thinking about this a lot recently- just need to narrow down the proper choices for “tubes to try” as some of these are going for the same prices as the larger NOS pentodes.

Designsfx

Sep 26, 2023
Los Angeles
The older the better.
From the 20ies (of the last millennium :eek: )
But needs an adapter.
@christoph
I paid attention to this post and ordered a globe 80 to try. I had originally found an RCA UX-280 which is mid to late 20’s from my understanding but there was an issue with the tube having already been sold and not updated as so on the website. How could that ever happen?
The seller contacted me and asked if he could substitute with a Majestic 80 which is the same design but built by Majestic for their famous radios. Anyway- it arrived today, I’m listening now and it’s a wonderful tube. I haven’t been in front of it enough to decide whether or not I like it more than the Sophia Aqua 274B but as of this moment it definitely has my attention! Thank you for mentioning this tube!

budburma

May 7, 2023
Hudson Valley, NY United States
Hi, I recently acquired an Atlantic TRP balanced with pre and looking at various options to improve my experience which has been brilliant so far. I have gone through all 112 pages of thread and grateful for all the helpful comments and journey all of you have gone through and should make it easy for me.

my stock tubes are Linlai KT88 quad, PSvane Acme 274B and another Russian no name 5U3C. I am a mids guy and going through these pages I feel GEC KT66 is a good place to start with my Acme 274. Could someone please opine if there is any difference between grey and clear glass? Clear glass is more readily available and is relatively cheaper, if the differences are negligible sonically I will go with it.

down the line I plan to experiment with Tesla EL51 or Siemens F2A, Sophia EL34 ST

PS - I can run my system both SE and balanced and will stick with former for NOS for obvious reasons. Could look at quad if I go new production route.
@msq123 Nicely done! I'm a recent and newly indoctrinated Lampi fan and A3 TRP owner who read and did the same. The 6L6 family has always been my go to and they're great with this DAC as well. I found the KT88's to be surprisingly fun to listen to, too. They've not been go to in the past and remain a little bit of a rowdy insouciant teen - the Shuguang more so than the Sophia - BUT really fun to listen through with some alt country and the like. In the end, I prefer the Bendix 6384's with a Valvo AZ1 and am still having a good time with KT88s paired with a Marconi U50/80.

FWIW, I have pentode pairs and recti you might be interested in including GEC CV1025/KT66 and Tesla EL51's- ping me in you'd like to discuss.

Designsfx

Sep 26, 2023
Los Angeles
“The Shank Of The Evening!” More ”Used” tube rolling excitement.

Today I received a used rectifier tube that I had been patiently waiting for- a Ken Rad VT-244 that had come recommend by another forum member. As usual, the ad painted a rosy picture of how well it tested and what fine shape it was in.
I plug it in and powered up for the usual warm up time before listening. A short while later I sit down and put on a song- sounds ok, nothing to complain about. The second song starts and I notice a flash- what was that? Since I have my IPad in lap I turn on the camera to grab a picture (already assuming I’m going to be requesting a refund on this).
Here’s the tube at its best just before I hit the mute button and shut the dac OFF!

IMG_0589.jpeg IMG_0591.jpeg

Designsfx

Sep 26, 2023
Los Angeles
All-
After much reading and efforts to discern the curves provided on tube data sheets I’m realizing that referring to published data may be futile when it comes to determining how a tube will perform when used in a TRP dac.
It seems the required (yet missing) data are the specifics where voltage limits are concerned between power tubes within the circuit. I believe these to be self biasing to a degree but think it would be helpful to know how far each tube is capable of performing so that published data can be “marked up” to be relevant to the dac being used.
Does anyone know if such information exists and is available for use?

budburma

May 7, 2023
Happy thanksgiving!

I'm up early after some late listening and what I say is Bendix all day and all night. 6384 pentodes and a 6106 rectifier. Previously using my preferred Valvo AZ1 there was a slightly hollowed out vocal presence. I'd ignored the 6106 after reading through this thread; it was just hanging around after I sold my Supratek Syran (much to my chagrin! - a different story for a different thread I guess...).

Anyway, the 6106 rectified (pun intended) the situation and kept all the other beauty the AZ1/6384 combo offers up in my system - nuance, timbre, detail, prat, tonal density on a big quiet layered stage with presence across the spectrum. And a little warm. Sweeeet!

Just awesome.

So, one man's poison is another's treat! Another lesson in listening yourself is the only best way to go. A little daunting, but a lot fun. Speaking of which, I should probably try those Sylvania 5932's also from the retired Supratek - who knows when the magic will appear.

Holy happydays!

Enjoy the holiday and the tunes.

budburma

May 7, 2023
The 6106 does make me want to try a 5852/6x5 - is that a drop in replacement rectifier for the Atlantic3 TRP? Thanks for your help.

Designsfx

Sep 26, 2023
Los Angeles
So trying a different quad of power tubes and rectifier combo this evening in my Lampizator TRP3 dac. I’ve had a mid 1940’s RCA 5R4GY sitting around for a couple of weeks now. This is a JAN CRC tube with black plates and double D getters- supposedly unused and came in an original box. Looked nice upon opening.

The quad purchased are Ken Rad 6F6G’s of the (I would assume) previously used variety. The seller stated he would attempt to match as closely as possible. The important part is that upon plugging them in they worked!

I placed these earlier today and let the equipment warm up for about 4 hours just to get settled before listening. As I’m listening now I’m noticing slight differences between both vs my regular playing tubes (RCA Globe 80 rectifier and Sovtek 6L6WXT+).

For now I’ll focus on the 6F6G’s. Having no idea of their age or prior use I was surprised by what I heard at first. These tubes are definitely favoring the midrange and present a fairly neutral image. I wouldn’t call the presentation “rolled off” but there is a noticeable smoothing in the treble range, not quite as sparkly as with the Sovteks but still present nonetheless.

The soundstage is perceived as being slightly narrower and definitely moved back. These are definitely not as bright as the Sovteks nor do they provide as much output as at my normal nighttime listening level I have my preamp turned up about 5 digits higher than usual. These tubes are very quiet though and provide no background noise.

I feel I should have left the rectifier unchanged in order to get a clearer picture of the differences but I think what’s written above provides a good outline. These tubes would work really well to tame down an overly bright recording or (in my case) a CD transport that seems to lean to the bright side a little more than would be desired. Overall they’re not bad tubes but overall I still prefer the 6L6WXT+.

fbs

Apr 22, 2019
Bavaria
:rolleyes: anyone heard of the TRP 4, mentioned in the Q1 2024 SQ ranking in the price list? Is this a TRP with E11P?

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing