LampizatOr Golden Atlantic + TRP

owen lawlor

Jul 30, 2010
Been wondering about the Weiss and how well it would stack up. Thanks for your report, highstream. Does that warmth have you thinking of making the switch?

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
Been wondering about the Weiss and how well it would stack up. Thanks for your report, highstream. Does that warmth have you thinking of making the switch?

Not at all. I'm currently working on integrating the ATC 50's with a pair of JL Audio subs. The only other person I've come across who's done this is Neil Gabler of TAS fame, who has REL's. He sent along his sub settings, which seem to work with or be close to where mine will end up. However, they have me wanting the sound a touch warmer. Whether that's adjusting the subs more precisely, adjusting speaker locations, a tube or a fuse, I haven't gotten there yet.

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Go big or go home attitude (small adapter is needed):p 25066CC3-EC20-4BC1-B86E-95473F85E3B9.jpeg 5D96D552-B5B1-4BB7-B067-A2355A0739E7.jpeg

fbs

Apr 22, 2019
Bavaria
Golden Atlantic TRP 3 is beyond the Horizon , any idea what it will inherit?

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
Golden Atlantic TRP 3 is beyond the Horizon , any idea what it will inherit?
At the Pacific Audio Fest (Seattle) a couple of weekends ago, Lukasz explained the improvements to me, with a change in the nature of the circuit regulation being key, voltage to current regulation for the first time, as I fuzzily recall. He said it offers a big SQ improvement over earlier engines, but warned that its volume is 1-2 dB less gain than previous versions (he asked if I like to listen loud). Also no tubes included unless ordered separately. He said this upgrade supersedes the Golden Atlantic, which is no longer. I just sent mine off to Poland today for it and the JL upgrade, as well as a port repair. Will report back.

The Seattle trip, my first show, also led other major improvements, most notably picking up some of ASC’s show demo 13" Tube Traps (still not cheap). But before that, ASC suggests raising subs well off the floor to break the floor-ceiling interaction, improving bass SQ substantially. Accordingly, they sell 18" bass traps for that purpose. But by chance, I noticed in the WTB classifieds that a developer of isolation gear was selling his personal 13" bass pedestals, with threaded inserts that would allow use of the Gaia II's I've had sitting around (I have JL Audio e-110 subs). Although the pedestals aren't traps, their effect has nonetheless brought substantial improvement in bass instruments, with much greater sense of presence, clarity and dynamics. That change helped set the stage for adding the ASC traps.

With the first two, because of the angled nature of my listening set up with an open area on one side and a corner behind the stand in the middle, they recommended trying them immediately to the outside of the (ATC SCM 50ASLT) speakers, instead of in the usual outside corner locations. Wow, what a difference in control and spaciousness (breadth and depth). I'd often read of sound extending beyond the speakers, but now for the first time it's become a reality in my system (on the wall side). Along with that, instruments and singers are now full bodied like I've never heard before (even at the Fest), bringing a sense of musical drama. Depending on the traps' exact placement and rotation (absorption vs. dispersion), they can even over excite the room on complex or loud passages. To help tackle that, i.e., get better dispersion behind the system where the corner is, another demo pair is on the way to replace the Acoustimac corner traps I've been using, which are absorption only. Should be fun...

On the latter subject, I don’t know how many remember J. Peter Moncrief and his always thougtful IAR Hotline. On the subject of room acoustics, he dove in deeply. His extensive original articles about the subject are posted at ASC’s website: https://www.acousticsciences.com/reviews/your-room-the-final-link/ and https://www.acousticsciences.com/reviews/optimizing-asc-tubetraps/

To give a visual sense, this is what it looked like with the pedestals before the traps arrived (and left speaker moved closer to the center):

Attachments

• Listening Position with SCM50 ASLT & Sub Pedestals - 8-11-22.jpg
    Listening Position with SCM50 ASLT & Sub Pedestals - 8-11-22.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Reactions: fbs

fbs

Apr 22, 2019
Bavaria
Thanks @highstream looking forward to read more, when the TRP returns from Poland!

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
Btw, for moments like this, the small Schiit Modi 3E dac does nicely. Has spdif input and RCA outs.

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
Forgot to mention that Lukasz warned that the upgraded model is a little softer (less gain) than previous ones. I think he said a dB or two (he asked if I like to listen loud). I added that to post above. Also no tubes included, unless ordered separately.

Last edited:

fbs

Apr 22, 2019
Bavaria
Forgot to mention that Lukasz warned that the upgraded model is a little softer than previous ones. I think he said a dB or two (he asked if I like to listen loud). I added that to post above. Also no tubes included, unless ordered separately.
When you say „softer“ is this a matter of gain or sound impression? With gain, the TRP has enough headroom according to my listening experience.

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
Gain, output. That’s why Lukasz’s question. I remember having the impression at the time that this effect would be all the way up, not just at the max gain.

Btw, if you follow the Horizon thread, you may be aware that Lukasz is offering Graphite audio footers that Lampi says are “Special footers that are Lukasz Fikus' favorite accessory for the Horizon, beats any tube change difference..” Rob (thtead 135) says they were using them in the Acorn room at the Fest and really liked the improvements. There’s a photo on page 113 of the Horizon thread and at https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdD_szDzd5esP57dLocx86n6jd3x9XMGuUtFKFM9ruz7AT7Fg/viewform (bottom)
Also available separately from Lampi NA.

Last edited:

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
Anyone removed the footers from their TRP? I’ve assumed it was just a matter of popping the cover and a screwdriver, but never looked closely. It’s come up in considering Lukasz’s new graphite footers (currently use EVP’s). They’re tall and added to the tall Staycore senders that come with is asking for trouble, let alone adding considerably to the dac’s height.

fbs

Apr 22, 2019
Bavaria
Anyone removed the footers from their TRP? I’ve assumed it was just a matter of popping the cover and a screwdriver, but never looked closely. It’s come up in considering Lukasz’s new graphite footers (currently use EVP’s). They’re tall and added to the tall Staycore senders that come with is asking for trouble, let alone adding considerably to the dac’s height.
Thank you for the hint to the GraphitAudio footers! I‘m using a dedicated platform from Akustik Manufaktur called „The Rock“ which improved the SQ of the TRP IMO with the standard footers, will look for the GraphitAudio ones.

I had an email conversation with Lampizator concerning upgrade options. Do you upgrade to engine #11 ?

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
Have no idea about numbers, except price list shows 34. Not sure if that’s been updated, since it’s Q2. Months ago on the Horizon thread I asked Lukasz if and when the knowledge gained would be applied down the line. He said they’d be getting to it as the year progressed. Then a couple of months ago Rob checked and was told early August. Here we are. Haven’t checked yet, but think it was delivered this morning.

The answer from Lampi about the TRP’s Stacore footers is that they can be removed or reinstalled with the cover off.

Last edited:

Blake

Jun 28, 2018
After quite a bit of experimentation with different brands and options, I am quite happy with all of my various aftermarket footers, but I am looking forward to some comparisons to these IC-35 footers from other options from Stillpoints, Symposium Acoustics, etc.

Is just the base graphite? The website references a polymer.

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
You have to ask Lukasz. I didn’t find the Stillpoints effective and have liked the EVP’s, using the HD version for the dac. Herbie’s don’t cut it either, nor do the Isoscoustics pods (the latter work for small devices, such as a small LPS or under an SSD). The cheap rubber-foam blocks on eBay are great in a pinch for keeping cables off the floor or apart, but are not serious isolation devices. I’ve ordered the Lampi ones. My TRP sits on the bottom shelf of a Salamander Designs cabinet, over a medium berber carpet and not that great wood foundation. So it’s sensitive to floor vibrations. Having the Stacores plus EVPs has done well, so it will be interesting to see how the Lampi’s do on their own, or if they’ll benefit from EVPs as well.

GraphiteAudio

Aug 26, 2022
Poland
www.graphiteaudio.com
After quite a bit of experimentation with different brands and options, I am quite happy with all of my various aftermarket footers, but I am looking forward to some comparisons to these IC-35 footers from other options from Stillpoints, Symposium Acoustics, etc.

Is just the base graphite? The website references a polymer.
Hello, I've just come across this thread and your question. Graphite Audio accessories are made of a special polymer that contain a proper amount of graphite. So they are not pure graphite. Graphite is one of many ingredients.

Last edited:
Reactions: Blake and christoph

dwhistance

Feb 15, 2019
Probably a silly question, however can anyone tell me whether a GZ37 will work in the TRP? Having settled on the GEC KT66's with the Psvane ACME A274B several years ago I'm about to try some different output valves again - Philips EL50's in the first instance - so will be looking for a compatible rectifier. I just happen to have a "spare" Mullard GZ37 so wondered if it was worth trying but wouldn't want to damage the DAC. I've looked at the manual but that wasn't terribly helpful.

Thanks in advance for your assistance

David Whistance

Reactions: christoph

dwhistance

Feb 15, 2019
As a PS I am also thinking of replacing the fuse with an SR Orange, can anyone tell me which one to go for as I have read they don't meet their supposed specifications so a higher current one is recommended?

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Probably a silly question, however can anyone tell me whether a GZ37 will work in the TRP? Having settled on the GEC KT66's with the Psvane ACME A274B several years ago I'm about to try some different output valves again - Philips EL50's in the first instance - so will be looking for a compatible rectifier. I just happen to have a "spare" Mullard GZ37 so wondered if it was worth trying but wouldn't want to damage the DAC. I've looked at the manual but that wasn't terribly helpful.

Thanks in advance for your assistance

David Whistance
You can use GZ37 and secondly SR Orange slow blow 3.15A

Reactions: christoph

dwhistance

Feb 15, 2019
Brilliant, thank you. I now need to dig out all my other rectifiers to see which, if any, have good synergy with the Philips EL50's.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing