LampizatOr Golden Atlantic + TRP

perfusionist

Nov 4, 2020
That's good news. Should be there by now then. In the end, did you go for anything else on top of I2S input and switching Amanero USB to JL Audio?

I have not (yet). Waiting for Lukaz to receive my unit and then ask him as to what he thinks could be a worthy upgrade.

Also looks like the shipment is help in Germany (due to bad weather). Hopefully it gets delivered tomorrow. Looks like Lukaz has installed I2S in the past. I came across an ad where someone was selling a GG2 with I2S input.

Does anyone know what the pin configuration is for I2S and if its going to be HDMI or RJ45?

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
The weather in the UK went crazy. I guess Germany could be even worse, so no wonder why it got delayed.
The bal GG2 I know had IS2 over HDMI. But the manual says: The i2S is the same as biphase but separated into 4 signals - each carrying only one type of information. Biphase encodes 4 groups of information in one signal stream. Specifically, they are: System Clock, Bit Clock, Left/Right Clock and Data. We can install these four in any type of connector, because there is no standard. Most customers use RJ45 LAN socket or simply four RCA sockets just like in TV RGB.

Last edited:

perfusionist

Nov 4, 2020
The weather in the UK went crazy. I guess Germany could be even worse, so no wonder why it got delayed.
The bal GG2 I know had IS2 over HDMI. But the manual says: The i2S is the same as biphase but separated into 4 signals - each carrying only one type of information. Biphase encodes 4 groups of information in one signal stream. Specifically, they are: System Clock, Bit Clock, Left/Right Clock and Data. We can install these four in any type of connector, because there is no standard. Most customers use RJ45 LAN socket or simply four RCA sockets just like in TV RGB.
Thanks for the update. It got held again lol, curbing my enthusiasm.

if it can be configured anyway, I am going to request Lukaz to configure it in HDMI format with antipodes P2 pin configuration.

perfusionist

Nov 4, 2020
Looks like the denafrips gaia's I2S is not configurable. So based on what Lukaz does with the I2S pin config, I might have to have a custom cable made.

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
Right. As far as I remember, Gaia had both I2S HDMI and RJ45, but it would not matter anyway, if pin configurations are incompatible with Lampi.

perfusionist

Nov 4, 2020
Yup, so I have to get a custom cable. I have not heard from Lukaz about the pin configuration yet. I'll update once I receive it.

May be I jinxed myself lol, the package is still in Germany and every morning I get an "Exception" email from DHL saying the package was held due to bad weather. Is it that bad in Europe right now?

Thanks
Meyy

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
I know the world championship x-c ski races in Finland were postponed yesterday due to cold temps and it’s in the single digits and low teens F in Poland. But UPS is still working here in the northern Rockies, although the high today through Saturday is not predicted to get above -3 to -7F. Maybe it’s a combination of weather and covid staffing issues.

• Wow
Reactions: perfusionist

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Northern Germany is very cold at the moment and lots and lots of snow.
I think Lampi can do HDMI i2s pinout...normally is the same standard as PSAudio.

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
Northern Germany is very cold at the moment and lots and lots of snow.
I think Lampi can do HDMI i2s pinout...normally is the same standard as PSAudio.
If true, I wish that I had known that when mine was worked on. I had a DirectStream dac and still have the Oppomod HDMI to I2S card in my Oppo.

Shredder

Feb 21, 2017
So, a few weeks ago, on perfusionist's recommendation, I bought a matched quad of beautiful blue Sophia Electric El 34's for my GA TRP. I now have about 175 hours on them. I must say that I am very pleased as they sound fantastic.

I was originally looking into NOS GEC KT66's but was choking on the $1400 price for a matched quad and the uncertainty as to whether the ones I found were in good shape or even the version many are raving about. At the time, I had recently heard a loaner tube integrated in my system while my Ayre AX-5/20 was in the shop for a repair. While it lagged far behind the Ayre in most areas, it did have a drop dead mid-range bloom that sounded great with vocals and acoustic instruments. It exposed my system as a touch dry and sent me looking for a path to add some liquid to the mids but without losing the balance, high end extension, dynamics, and punch of the Tung Sol 6116s that I had been using. That got me thinking about new tubes.

As to the Sophia's, they are exactly what I was looking for. The mid-range is absolutely beautiful and vocals and acoustic instruments sound both gorgeous and natural. Not "bloomy"as such, like the tube amp that lead me down this path, but still very liquid, rich, and engaging. And, they retain the other great characteristics of the TS tubes I had previously been using and enjoying.

I have not yet heard the NOS GEC KT66s and I may never do so given the price and scarcity. That said, based on the descriptions I have read of that tube, I feel like the Sophia's must be very similar in quality and character. All for about 1/3 the price. Highly recommended.

FWIW, I have also enjoyed current production GL KT 66 and 77s, and EH 6ca7s. In comparison to the Sophia's, however, the KT66 is linear and balanced but a touch dry. The 77s are fantastic-punchy with rich mid-range, but were fatiguing to me after a long listen. The EH have a fantastic liquid mid-range, but lack high end extension., While I can imagine audio peeps enjoying each of those, they are not in the league of the Sophias imho.

Oh, and thanks so much perfusionist for the recommendation.

leftside

Jan 22, 2018
@Shredder someone was trying to rip you off charging $1400. Good job you didn't bite.

perfusionist

Nov 4, 2020
very liquid, rich, and engaging.
Am glad you are liking the Sophia’s. I felt exact same way, “very liquid rich and engaging”. You nailed it. It might be very abstract to understand exactly what that means for someone who has not experienced it, but once you experience this you can totally understand what that phrase means.

Enjoy the tubes!

fbs

Apr 22, 2019
Bavaria
I ordered as well a Sophia pair to give it a try. One of my GEC KT66 quit after approx. two years now, Fortunately, I‘ve a spare pair . My previous ranking was GEC KT66, Psvane 6CA7, GL KT77. Currently I use the 6CA7 and are pleased with the progress I hear after more hours of operation. I can comment hopefully within a few weeks about the Sophia‘s.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Any compares to the ps vane 6CA7 11 and Tesla el51 tubes ?
the tubes by me are close where the Tesla is a bit thicker
ps vane a bit more presence

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Right. As far as I remember, Gaia had both I2S HDMI and RJ45, but it would not matter anyway, if pin configurations are incompatible with Lampi.
I think rj45 is a better idea
you can ask Lukas to make you a swizzle cat 7s with male on both ends as I did way back when. Mark the ends if need be as well. in the end I’m not sure it’s better in my limited experienc. at the time I had two devices to use
one was the ps audio cd memory player
the other a better choice was imperiacal audio usb to spidif converter.
if I may suggest a network input. it has a portable aspect to it. But network While limited to pcm does have a good sound if your network is configured and isolated. please post as this goes

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
I have not (yet). Waiting for Lukaz to receive my unit and then ask him as to what he thinks could be a worthy upgrade.

Also looks like the shipment is help in Germany (due to bad weather). Hopefully it gets delivered tomorrow. Looks like Lukaz has installed I2S in the past. I came across an ad where someone was selling a GG2 with I2S input.

Does anyone know what the pin configuration is for I2S and if its going to be HDMI or RJ45?
It depends on the Device feeding it.
pa audio has its own ame most all else use a different one
reg rj45 it’s what type of device will be used. sone may post pin outs but in my experience it’s item centric
lastly thr hdmi cabkes used will effect the sound a shorter one is best

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
I was originally looking into NOS GEC KT66's but was choking on the $1400 price for a matched quad and the uncertainty as to whether the ones I found were in good shape or even the version many are raving about.
Good Lord, $1400 for NOS GEC KT66? Even taking into account that it comes as a matched quad, it sounds like a big time rip off to me.

Reactions: leftside

Shredder

Feb 21, 2017
Rip off, yes, however, there are not many of these available on-line. $350 per tube, I did not find cheaper.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing