LampizatOr Golden Atlantic + TRP

Tuckia

Jun 3, 2019
I had a different variation on the theme this morning. Before turning on the TRP this for burn in of new EL51s that came yesterday, I pulled the 596 for a new SS rectifier. After a few minutes, there was a fairly loud hum coming out of the left speaker (only). So I turned the TRP off and the noise died, with a couple of quick replays of the hum as it cooled down. Turned it on again a few minutes later and no repeat. Came back several hours later and still quiet. With old tubes, weird noises — crackle, hum — seem to happen in the process of burn in. Don’t recall noises with new production tubes.
It’s the sound made by the ghost of Lee de Forest exiting the envelope.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Hello have you had time to simply move dac off rack completely in front of the rack on the floor .its a fast test to possible solve you issue. My guess the transport is emitting rfi and emi at the tubes just inches away. Post results please

DeadWax

Apr 11, 2020
Hello have you had time to simply move dac off rack completely in front of the rack on the floor .its a fast test to possible solve you issue. My guess the transport is emitting rfi and emi at the tubes just inches away. Post results please
Quick update. This morning I reconnected the USB cable and disconnected the AES. While the TRP was powered on I re-depressed the ring button and the high frequency noise stopped.

@Alrainbow My transport is 6 feet away from the TRP. I tried moving it many directions away and it didn't matter. I wonder if something just needed to be reset with the USB module on the TRP by re-depressing the ring button.

I will monitor to see if the noise comes back. Always an adventure in audio ;-)

DeadWax

Apr 11, 2020
It's funny, I'm now wondering if this whole thing was simply relating to the USB module needing a "reset"....just a switch off and back re-engaged while being powered on. Has anyone encountered that?

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Ok but my point is it’s not always ok to stack above or below a tube device in general
at one time had a large 2kv iso transformer 4 feet above a Lampi. it caused havoc and just movibg it off the chair solved it. lastly for all taking the time to read this. many things appear and disappear in audio it’s not ok when gone. Even if we don’t hear audible noise it can effect the sound. Bad audio must this damn xxxxx well a bad device is very unlikely the cause. An uninformed user way more Likly and I’m one as well.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
It's funny, I'm now wondering if this whole thing was simply relating to the USB module needing a "reset"....just a switch off and back re-engaged while being powered on. Has anyone encountered that?
We all have on all usb devices
when I had my msb stack it happen and that was a very well made device. At times I had to reinstall drivers as well as firmware. I’m also always suspect of botiuqe audio cables all of them in general Consider this not one audio or any other device that we can upload firmware to lets one use anything but a stock printer cable made to spec period. This should ring many alarm bells. But it mostly does not. It’s always tge device not tge guy making cabkes not tested to spec in a garage in Hong Kong who knows much more lol. enjoy the sound and yes these cables do sound better many times.

Reactions: DeadWax

DeadWax

Apr 11, 2020
@Alrainbow Points well taken, especially about not stacking a tube device. I may devise a way to move the Lampi off my rack. The other thing I forgot to mention this morning was when I re-engaged the USB and re-set the ring button I noticed the high pitch noise actually being emitted by the Lampi itself until I toggled the ring button off and back on. I suspect that had been occurring all along but I have never put my ear close to the Lampi while doing the troubleshooting before.

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
Too easy to blame it on the cable when software in component can just as easily have been thrown off (or have a bug) by a change. Experienced that a lot with connection between router and a Direcstream dac on my desktop a few years ago. Turned out to be a software bug. Resets come with the territory. Doing census in U.S. and have to re-sync the system or cell connection on its iPhone several times a day when it hangs.

Reactions: DeadWax

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
USB is a computer...needs resetting occasionally as it can go haywire.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
I had to move an HDMI switch after doing some signal generator tests on the recent mods to my speakers

Had no idea there was an issue and both the Apogee restorer and I thought the MRT ribbons needed replacement.

Turned out simply to be the Lampi didn't like it anywhere near it.

What is interesting is it depends on which triodes were installed. Much worse with some that others.

Marconi PX4s will pick up any RFI from considerable distances. Tesla RD27AS is also very sensitive. Tesla AD1 isn't. Mind you according to me that is as close to perfect as you can get LOL;)

ronfint

Oct 29, 2012
Michigan
users.math.msu.edu
I'm reporting in as another happy EL51 user. I’ve had mine for two weeks, and I find them to be a big step over everything else that I've tried (KT77, GEC KT66, Psvane 6CA7 TII). I'm using a KR 5U4G white base that came with my GA in 2018 (not an RK, which I don’t have). It's definitely better with the EL51 than the Acme 274b. I'm waiting for (and hoping that) Shuguang to (will) begin production on the GZ480 again.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
I had to move an HDMI switch after doing some signal generator tests on the recent mods to my speakers

Had no idea there was an issue and both the Apogee restorer and I thought the MRT ribbons needed replacement.

Turned out simply to be the Lampi didn't like it anywhere near it.

What is interesting is it depends on which triodes were installed. Much worse with some that others.

Marconi PX4s will pick up any RFI from considerable distances. Tesla RD27AS is also very sensitive. Tesla AD1 isn't. Mind you according to me that is as close to perfect as you can get LOL;)
Guessing it’s the gain of the and size of plates. tubes pick up anyting yet most don’t have a clue whats going on and then there’s experts who sell n know lol.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
I’m glad I own 4 of them hope it comes back. that tube was bought on a wim. The hated it and loaned me it. I hated it too. It needs many hours to burn in. it’s now one of my favs. Funny how it goes in audio. Once I said it was good peeps started to try them. The ps vane needs many hours to settle like 50 or more same on Tesla tubes
way back when I used the eml mesh 2A3 tubes again hated them until I let them just play back ground music and then lol.

ronfint

Oct 29, 2012
Michigan
users.math.msu.edu
By the way, the EL51s together with their adapters are pretty ugly. My wife, who has put up with a lot of audio shenanigans throughout the years, has asked if there is any way that I can fit a cover over my dac. (No!) But she thought that 807 tubes, for example, looked romantic.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
I’m glad I own 4 of them hope it comes back. that tube was bought on a wim. The hated it and loaned me it. I hated it too. It needs many hours to burn in. it’s now one of my favs. Funny how it goes in audio. Once I said it was good peeps started to try them.
By the way, the EL51s together with their adapters are pretty ugly. My wife, who has put up with a lot of audio shenanigans throughout the years, has asked if there is any way that I can fit a cover over my dac. (No!) But she thought that 807 tubes, for example, looked romantic.
they make glass tops for tubes
they are heavy glass like big candle holders and yiu can have them sanded or etched
as a caviot they do he on acoustic micropho too. Far better then tube clamps for me they don’t change the sound at all but do clean them up.

Reactions: ronfint

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
Wouldn’t that type of cover cause excessive heat buildup?

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Reactions: Alrainbow

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Thanks for all the comments about this DAC guys.
As mentioned, I have sensitive ears, testing better than some children; I test all the way down to 5 and 10 dB, where most adults my age test at 20 to 25 dB. So this means I prefer things a little relaxed, as I can hear vol and dynamic differences in the decimal point range.
I have Harbeth 40.2 speakers now and prefer gear that is not, to my ears, bombastic or ‘overly dynamic’ for me.
So I have to admit that the “nuclear explosion” and “extremely alive” comments made here put me in the category of -I might have to hear it before I commit. Even though I know I like Lampi for years now.
I do have pretty good gear: Vinnie Rossi L2 DHT preamp, the Atlantic Plus, and Wells Innamorata Signature amplifier, so I’m probably fine, as maybe I’ve taken care of the stated worry by having Harbeths now, and slightly warm ICs in the right position...but I do know some gear with big and lively PA-system-like dynamic swings is not for me.

Maybe someone can comment on that... Do macro dynamics largely change like described, when moving up past the Atlantic DAC? Am I misinterpreting the “aliveness” character of this DAC?
We’re you bite by a bat as kid lol. Love you to be at my place. You would be a big help here.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing