LampizatOr Golden Atlantic + TRP

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Al for example loves Shuguang GZ480...I don't know the price (it is less then other super expensive ones) but fore sure it's more than masher..
Mashers are dark on the trp for me own 4 types of then all new nos

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Wow! That’s a lot of listening man. I guess you should just stock up on potato mashers before their price starts rising. :) I’m interested in responses to this. I run my trp about 10 to12 hours per day. Would hate to have to replace my recti’s every year.
My pic is a super ife one it’s way above specs of most recti
But I did get his comments
A recti burns full load always

Reactions: Ed_K

Monsterzero

Jul 10, 2019
Wow! That’s a lot of listening man. I guess you should just stock up on potato mashers before their price starts rising. :) I’m interested in responses to this. I run my trp about 10 to12 hours per day. Would hate to have to replace my recti’s every year.
Im disabled,so Im always home. If im awake,music is playing. Music is my life blood.

fbs

Apr 22, 2019
Bavaria
@Golum Interesting report from Fabio on the Psvane 6CA7 and maybe I give it a chance. I cannot comment on tha Taka recti, for me the combo of ACME 274b with GEC KT66 NOS is still my favorite over Gold Lion KT77 and the KR 5U4G.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Don’t buy the tak if you have a trp and the acme. It’s. Close and to me to worth it. Of you had a pack or gg2 then it’s worth it.

Reactions: fbs

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Golum, What about in relation to the GEC KT66 (which I'm using)? I thought that was your TRP reference. I tried a pair of NOS Mullard EL34's awhile back and found them not that close to the KT66.

I'm in the process of comparing the very different RK5U4G and Psvane WE274B replica, but am holding off final judgment for my Supratek Chardonnay preamp arriving later this week.
The NOS GEC KT66 is still a top tube.
The PSvane 6CA7-TII are just a bit more transparent but need a lot of hours to stabilize.
I love them both, as well as the cheap current production Genalex KT77 Gold Lions.

I agree with you on the Mullard EL34. They did not move me, rather rolled off in the (almost missing) treble.
I do like the NOS Siemens EL34 quite a bit but they also need some serious hours to fully open up.

Last edited:
Reactions: fbs and Ed_K

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
The prices seem to be reasonable,however as my listening habits consist of 18 hours per day,every day I have already gone through one rectifier tube in a little over six months of use. I cant afford nor rationalize buying one of the high end rectifiers,especially when I will burn it up in short order. What other moderately priced rectifier do yall reckon will sound good with these tubes?

Im currently using my 2nd potato masher w/ the KT77s.

Regarding your demand on recties:
You could stick an SS Recti (or something dirt cheap like Shuguang 274b) for casual ambient listening and only put in a nice (and certainly more expensive) recti for serious listening. I thought the potatoe masher is not that expensive?

Reactions: Monsterzero

christoph

Dec 11, 2015

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
@Golum Interesting report from Fabio on the Psvane 6CA7 and maybe I give it a chance. I cannot comment on tha Taka recti, for me the combo of ACME 274b with GEC KT66 NOS is still my favorite over Gold Lion KT77 and the KR 5U4G.
I think those are both very nice combos!
I have them too. But the RK recti is just another step better than the KR.

Reactions: Alrainbow

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Regarding your demand on recties:
You could stick an SS Recti (or something dirt cheap like Shuguang 274b) for casual ambient listening and only put in a nice (and certainly more expensive) recti for serious listening. I thought the potatoe masher is not that expensive?
They make a white base 274b it’s pretty good too.

Reactions: christoph

fbs

Apr 22, 2019
Bavaria
I think those are both very nice combos!
I have them too. But the RK recti is just another step better than the KR.
My mistake, should be as well the RK 5U4G Anniversary edition, but my favorite is still the ACME.
C4CC0E95-826E-424E-B883-7E343749F4C6.jpeg

Reactions: christoph

Lee Henley

Feb 21, 2014
England, UK
Al already posted some findings about the above mentioned PSvane tube but let me share with the community finding of a friend of mine Fabio who is i might say one of the biggest tube rollers (has all possible output and rectifier tubes mentioned here and above) and with biggest experience in tube combos for TRP that i know.
So here it goes:
“To all the TRP enthusiast: I have been burning in the PSVane 6CA7-TII the last few days and thought it would be a good moment to provide an update here.

This tube to me is the new reference in the TRP. It has all the presence, weight, power and midrange magic of a good EL34 but is more linear with better treble and bass extension. While the first few hours the treble sometimes was still a bit glassy and the bass a bit loose at times it has now come together nicely. The clarity is state of the art. The soundstage with this tube is incredible and the best I‘ve heard so far. When comparing to the Genalex KT77 even the latter seems a little compressed in comparison. This is a perfect allrounder and combines some of the stand-out elements of the best tubes.
I‘ve tried it with the Taka 274B, the KR5U4G and the PSVane ACME rectifier. While all are good, so far I prefer it with the Taka and then the Kron and third the PSVane.

I’ve first tried it on my headphone setup and then together with Chris, we heard it in my setup on the Boenickes and then in his setup upstairs with the Universums. Results are consistent. This tube is incredibly good and should make it into everybody’s TRP tube collection.

As always, my experience, my preferences and my ears.”
As @christoph received this exact type of tube i guess he might add some more light as well as @Alrainbow who i would say has the same experience as Fabio...
PS seems like it takes quite a while to burn it in..+30h for consistent results

Enjoy some good music guys in this above all difficult times and stay safe.

Cheers,
G

Ive finally taken the advice from Fabio and orded a pair of PSVane 6CA7 tubes, hope they will be here this week for me to try out with the ACME 274B rectfier, it will be interesting to see how the 6CA7 compares to my Golden Lion KT77 which is my current favourite tube in the TRP

Ed_K

Oct 27, 2019
Greer, SC USA
Ive finally taken the advice from Fabio and orded a pair of PSVane 6CA7 tubes, hope they will be here this week for me to try out with the ACME 274B rectfier, it will be interesting to see how the 6CA7 compares to my Golden Lion KT77 which is my current favourite tube in the TRP

Yep, I did the same based on his findings. Just hope that amid this Covid issue that my order from the Tube Amp Doctor makes it to the US in a reasonable amount of time. Grant in Canada was out of stock.

Reactions: Lee Henley

fbs

Apr 22, 2019
Bavaria
Yep, I did the same based on his findings. Just hope that amid this Covid issue that my order from the Tube Amp Doctor makes it to the US in a reasonable amount of time. Grant in Canada was out of stock.
Sorry Ed, he has to first send a pair to Bavaria :)

Reactions: Ed_K and Alrainbow

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
This so far is best pairing of tubes in my trp. I don’t own the anniversary RK 5u4g but I do own the kr 5u4g. I did have to hear the Anniversary rk tune it is better then the stock. But only the large tube I posted unlocks to me all the virtues of the trp to me. Put together it’s pure magic at my place.

Attachments

• BD5A3DCB-F786-4717-989C-FD83B5476D88.png
    BD5A3DCB-F786-4717-989C-FD83B5476D88.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 39
Reactions: Ed_K

Ed_K

Oct 27, 2019
Greer, SC USA
This so far is best pairing of tubes in my trp. I don’t own the anniversary RK 5u4g but I do own the kr 5u4g. I did have to hear the Anniversary rk tune it is better then the stock. But only the large tube I posted unlocks to me all the virtues of the trp to me. Put together it’s pure magic at my place.
And that price is a bargain in the high end recti world. Thx Al!

Reactions: Alrainbow

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing