LampizatOr Golden Atlantic + TRP

Ed_K

Oct 27, 2019
Greer, SC USA
I’d be interested to hear opinions on the KT88 also. I have 8 Gold Lion KT 88’s from a Ayon Triton I had a few years back. I just don’t know which ones are good and want to have them tested before any experimenting on my trp. I know some are shorted. Hey, there’s my first New Years resolution....get those tubes checked out.

Reactions: christoph

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
On another note; how many of you here who initially got the Golden Atlantic , Golden Atlantic TRP 2 or the Atlantic TRP then upgraded to the Golden Gate 2 and never looked back ?
Ive message privately to a few members here and got some good answers..
Thank you for the support.

Please post the substance of the replies, if you would, as they would be interesting to hear. After buying the used “Golden” Atlantic and getting it upgraded, there was a GG, balanced with volume knob, I could have had for a very good price and then upgraded, but on the encouragement of someone here I decided to be patient and give the TRP more time. While a balanced version requires more tubes, hence more expense, it would have likely provided a better alternative to the serious noise problem, nearly 10 dB of volume vs RCA outs, I encountered with the faux XLRs that I chose for hooking to balanced active speakers, on the basis of being told that the unbalanced SQ was as good as the balanced (the starting point of why my TRP has been out of commission for a couple of months and is currently with the NA tech).

Last edited:

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
I’d be interested to hear opinions on the KT88 also. I have 8 Gold Lion KT 88’s from a Ayon Triton I had a few years back. I just don’t know which ones are good and want to have them tested before any experimenting on my trp. I know some are shorted. Hey, there’s my first New Years resolution....get those tubes checked out.
Please do that after the Genalex KT77 Gold Lions are so good and especially after you already own those KT88 :cool:
Maybe you could even check the tubes yourself with a simple multimeter instead of sending them out to be checked. You could do a google search for that. Maybe it is not that difficult to do?

Last edited:
Reactions: Ed_K

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
I have the Raytheon JRK60, a Brimar GZ4GY and a Chatham potato masher. Oddly Im using the Chatham more than the others.
I do have a Brimar but I don't know the exact type (Norman @wisnon would know) a Chatham Potatoe Masher that I quite like but the ACME 274b is in another league above those two. Much more transparent and open and airier sounding. The Raytheon JRK60 I don't know but after the Chatham is your favorite of those, I gues that doesn't matter too much, then.

Reactions: Monsterzero

Monsterzero

Jul 10, 2019
I do have a Brimar but I don't know the exact type (Norman @wisnon would know) a Chatham Potatoe Masher that I quite like but the ACME 274b is in another league above those two. Much more transparent and open and airier sounding. The Raytheon JRK60 I don't know but after the Chatham is your favorite of those, I gues that doesn't matter too much, then.
Thank you. I might grab one. Do you reckon its better to get the WE replica version or the other?

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Go with ACME...

fbs

Apr 22, 2019
Bavaria
„Standard“ version or top 10%? Does it fit to the GEC KT66:rolleyes:

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Hm...i have the most regular one so no idea what that “special” one does...

fbs

Apr 22, 2019
Bavaria
Did you had a chance to compare ist with the GEC KT66?

Last edited:

fbs

Apr 22, 2019
Bavaria
@Ed_K , thanks for the hint, I got a little bit lost with all the combinations.

Ed_K

Oct 27, 2019
Greer, SC USA
Apparently, Psvane makes 3 different 274B tubes.
- the standard Acme Supreme at US$295 but also a sorted and tested top 10%, best of the best version @ $345
- a WE274B type/replica at US$219
- a 274B-T11 with a crystallized carbon on the glass at US$185

I went with the Acme Supreme top 10% to ensure that I got at least what @Golum heard when he and others did their testing. I’ll have to agree it sounds better every day, still breaking in.

Question — has anyone tried out the other two versions? It would be interesting if they are as good as the Supreme. If it was the carbon version, that would almost make it a no-brainer bargain for others entering the LampizatOr scene.

Hope all have a great 2020! cheers
Ed

Reactions: christoph and fbs

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Easy to do, I finally started printing out key pages on this forum and on the LampizatOr Pacific tube rolling forum. Now if I could only find where I put the printouts :D
:D:D:D:D we are crazy bunch of guys aren’t we? :p:cool:

Reactions: Ed_K

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
I have the Raytheon JRK60, a Brimar GZ4GY and a Chatham potato masher. Oddly Im using the Chatham more than the others.

Why oddly? It is an outstanding rectifier. Really it is. Crazy specification, brilliantly made.

Others might prefer the sound of other rectifiers, but it probably isn't because what they prefer is technically superior. There won't be much out there that is technically superior.

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Truth be told I did not hear this particular WE replica by PSvane (but i owned 300b and 101d) and ACME i have and will not part with it as its just great tube. Have not seen anybody raving about this particular 274b...

Monsterzero

Jul 10, 2019
Why oddly?
Mainly because its dirt cheap and readily available everywhere for under $15.00. I do prefer it to the others though. My headphones tend to the warm side of things,and with solid wood cups they tend to have some lingering decay which I do not like. The KT77s and Potato masher offer me a tight,clean sound that I like with my headphone set-up.
Im guessing by the comments made by others that the ACME 274b would improve upon these aspects?

Reactions: newbiecapri

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing