LampizatOr Golden Atlantic + TRP

DeadWax

Apr 11, 2020
I had the EML 274b mesh and it is not one of my favorite recties.
The EML 274b mesh is not bad at all but it needed several hundred hours of burn-in time and even then, that tizzyness in the upper mids and treble that annoyed me did not vanish completely. It became less with more hours but still remained to some small degree and I could not overhear that. So I passed it on.

The USAF 596 (or like I call it FF, Fugly Franky, short for Fcuking Ugly Frankenstein :D) I tried several times because quite a few people raved about it and so, despite of the IMHO hideous look, I gave it more than one chance but FF and I just never clicked :p

Which KR 5u4g do you have?
The "normal" black base ST shape KR 5u4g or the white base ST shape Lampi Anniversary 5u4g or the latest and IMO by far the best, the somewhat "square shaped" Riccardo Kron Limited Series 5u4g?

What is the sonic change you are looking for (compared to which rectifier) and what are the output tubes you want to pair the recti with?
Thanks for the feedback on the EML and USAF 596 rectifiers. I have the white base KR 5u4g. Right now I'm running the Sophia 274B with Sophia EL34's and feel it's pretty decent. Honestly I just like experimenting with different flavors. I enjoy rectifiers that provide some heft and extension on the low end without sounding bloated. So far I think I may like the Psvane 6CA7 T-II's paired with the KR 5u4g best all around but I get in moods where I enjoy the lucid beauty of the GEC KT66's as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: christoph and Ed_K

Ed_K

Oct 27, 2019
Greer, SC USA
Thanks for the feedback on the EML and USAF 596 rectifiers. I have the white base KR 5u4g. Right now I'm running the Sophia 274B with Sophia EL34's and feel it's pretty decent. Honestly I just like experimenting with different flavors. I enjoy rectifiers that provide some heft and extension on the low end without sounding bloated. So far I think I may like the Psvane 6CA& T-II's paired with the KR 5u4g best all around but I get in moods where I enjoy the lucid beauty of the GEC KT66's as well.
Thanks for the feedback on the EML and USAF 596 rectifiers. I have the white base KR 5u4g. Right now I'm running the Sophia 274B with Sophia EL34's and feel it's pretty decent. Honestly I just like experimenting with different flavors. I enjoy rectifiers that provide some heft and extension on the low end without sounding bloated. So far I think I may like the Psvane 6CA& T-II's paired with the KR 5u4g best all around but I get in moods where I enjoy the lucid beauty of the GEC KT66's as well.
When I had my single ended TRP I used the 6CA7 T2’s, I loved the pairing with the RK 5U4G. Unfortunately, sold them with my trp and have not been able to get a quad of them to use with my balanced trp. Oh well, my bad! Have tried a quad of shuguang black treasure 6CA7 Z’s but they just don’t have the magic of the T2’s. Also have the Gold Lion KT-66’s and Psvane EL-34 PH’s. Like them both, just a matter of mood and what interconnects I happen to be trying. Cheers!

Socrates428

Nov 28, 2018
I had the EML 274b mesh and it is not one of my favorite recties.
The EML 274b mesh is not bad at all but it needed several hundred hours of burn-in time and even then, that tizzyness in the upper mids and treble that annoyed me did not vanish completely. It became less with more hours but still remained to some small degree and I could not overhear that. So I passed it on.

The USAF 596 (or like I call it FF, Fugly Franky, short for Fcuking Ugly Frankenstein :D) I tried several times because quite a few people raved about it and so, despite of the IMHO hideous look, I gave it more than one chance but FF and I just never clicked :p

Which KR 5u4g do you have?
The "normal" black base ST shape KR 5u4g or the white base ST shape Lampi Anniversary 5u4g or the latest and IMO by far the best, the somewhat "square shaped" Riccardo Kron Limited Series 5u4g?

What is the sonic change you are looking for (compared to which rectifier) and what are the output tubes you want to pair the recti with?
I generally feel the same about the USAF 596. It was nice with the Tesla el51's although didn't jive as well with my other tubes. I much prefer the Sophia Electric 274b blue bottle over the USAF 596 and the GZ480, KR RK 5U4G, and others I've owned. Despite all the fun tracking down and hearing obscure and NOS tubes, my favorite combo overall is still the current production Sophia el34s and 274b.

Perfusionist, I'm looking forward to hearing about the Sophia KT88s!

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
Me too on the Sophias and looking forward to the KT-88 report. I liked the 596 until I changed the power cords to my ATCs, at which point it tilted just to the other side of slightly warm divide for me. The Sophia Aqua 274B brought it back across in both the TRP and preamp. Hence, I have two pairs of 596's with adapters (one the Woo), both still with years of life, if anyone is interested (PM).

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Thanks for the feedback on the EML and USAF 596 rectifiers. I have the white base KR 5u4g. Right now I'm running the Sophia 274B with Sophia EL34's and feel it's pretty decent. Honestly I just like experimenting with different flavors. I enjoy rectifiers that provide some heft and extension on the low end without sounding bloated. So far I think I may like the Psvane 6CA7 T-II's paired with the KR 5u4g best all around but I get in moods where I enjoy the lucid beauty of the GEC KT66's as well.
The Psvane 6CA7 T-2 paired with the RK 5u4g is a great combo.

With the GEC KT66 I prefer the ACME 274b as recti. But only in this combo because they both compensate to some degree the deficiences of the other.
I haven't played that combo for quite a while, though.

I quite like the blue Sophia EL34 and even prefer it slightly over the Psvane 6CA7.
Have you tried the blue EL34 Sophia with the RK 5u4g?

Reactions: DeadWax and Ed_K

DeadWax

Apr 11, 2020
Reactions: christoph

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
I have not tried that combo but that's a good idea.

You better like a cool, detailed sound (RK). Those that like a bit of warmth will be disappointed.

Last edited:

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
You better like a cool, detailed sound (RK). Those that like a bit of warmth need will be disappointed.
DeadWax said:
"So far I think I may like the Psvane 6CA7 T-II's paired with the KR 5u4g best all around"
I think it is not too far fetched to assume that he quite likes the RK 5u4g :p

Socrates428

Nov 28, 2018
Anyone have experience with aftermarket fuses in their TRP to share? I have a Synergistic Research Purple on the way for the TRP and for the mating Innuos Zenith (which has a SR Blue currently). With a 30 day trial period I figure it's worth the experiment, especially given how much we spend on the glass on top for this DAC...even if the big glass bottles on top are far more satisfying for the $$$!

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
You should be happy with the Purple. Think of it as an extension of the power cord. Direction with the fuse holder under the inlet you probably know is left to right, as the "SR" reads (occasionally they put on a label backwards, so if it sounds pinched try the other direction). The other particularly good fuses are the Audio Magic Premier Beeswax and very pricey Quantum Science ones, a brand I've never used but are much touted by some. One thing with the SR: Because they doesn't build their fuses to industry standards, many people, including myself, have found it prudent to go up one value (A) or 25%. If you didn't, it's good that you have a 30-day period.

Reactions: Ed_K

Ed_K

Oct 27, 2019
Greer, SC USA
Anyone have experience with aftermarket fuses in their TRP to share? I have a Synergistic Research Purple on the way for the TRP and for the mating Innuos Zenith (which has a SR Blue currently). With a 30 day trial period I figure it's worth the experiment, especially given how much we spend on the glass on top for this DAC...even if the big glass bottles on top are far more satisfying for the $$$!
Fwiw, I agree with Highstream on the Audio Magic ultimate premier fuses. I used them for my TRP and also my monoblocks. Have not changed the fuse on my server yet. If anything, I noticed perhaps a slight increase in blackness and dynamics.

Phon@ix

Jul 27, 2019
ZRH
I use SR Orange in my TRP, AI Poweramp and LDMS PSU

PrTv

Sep 28, 2021
Hi guys,

I'm currently using Denafrips Terminator Plus with the Hermes DDC, and now I'm considering to change the Dac from T+ to Lampizator Baltic 3 or Atlantic 2 TRP. I have a few questions.

1. Has anyone had any chance to compare the T+ with the Baltic 3 or Atlantic 2? If so, can we say this change is an "upgrade" or sideways move?
2. Lampizator dacs generally don't come with I2S input, but I found favorable results from members who modified the dac to accept the I2S input. From the website, it seems the I2S option is not available in order form, so is it possible to order the new unit with I2S input pre-installed?
3. Sonically, how much better is the Atlantic 2 TRP, comparing with the Baltic 3? Is it worth the additional cost?

Thanks

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
While asking model questions, I’ve also been wondering, Is the Atlantic-2 TRP just a renaming of the initial Atlantic TRP or an upgrade to the initial TRP? The engine has a different number. Has the tube configuration changed at all? I’m looking at the lampizatorpoland.com site price list.

Last edited:

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Hi guys,

I'm currently using Denafrips Terminator Plus with the Hermes DDC, and now I'm considering to change the Dac from T+ to Lampizator Baltic 3 or Atlantic 2 TRP. I have a few questions.

1. Has anyone had any chance to compare the T+ with the Baltic 3 or Atlantic 2? If so, can we say this change is an "upgrade" or sideways move?
2. Lampizator dacs generally don't come with I2S input, but I found favorable results from members who modified the dac to accept the I2S input. From the website, it seems the I2S option is not available in order form, so is it possible to order the new unit with I2S input pre-installed?
3. Sonically, how much better is the Atlantic 2 TRP, comparing with the Baltic 3? Is it worth the additional cost?

Thanks
GO for Baltic 3. See if its possible to get vol control with it. That is the most critical factor, not i2s input. Baltic 3 is best value for money Dac out there!

PrTv

Sep 28, 2021
GO for Baltic 3. See if its possible to get vol control with it. That is the most critical factor, not i2s input. Baltic 3 is best value for money Dac out there!
Thanks for your reply. May you please elaborate why it’s important to get the volume control? Can I just use my amplifier to control the output? The reason I need I2S is that I want to connect it with my Hermes DDC (that takes USB from my streamer and output I2S). This in theory should improve sonic performance. However I don’t know how good Baltic 3 / 2 TRP’s USB implementation would be but I high doubt it’d be as good as Holo May KTE in PLL mode (where no DDC is required).

Also if I’m not looking for best value dac but aiming for best performance, how much better the 2 TRP is, and in what area?

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
While asking model questions, I’ve also been wondering, Is the Atlantic-2 TRP just a renaming of the initial Atlantic TRP or an upgrade to the initial TRP? The engine has a different number. Has the tube configuration changed at all? I’m looking at the lampizatorpoland.com site price list.
Golden Atlantic TRP has nothing to do with old Golden Atlantic. Different digital engine, different analog section with totally different tubes used.
Major upgrade vs old one.

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
Golden Atlantic TRP has nothing to do with old Golden Atlantic. Different digital engine, different analog section with totally different tubes used.
Major upgrade vs old one.

I wasn't asking about the Golden Atlantic, which is no longer mentioned on the Polish website, afaict. On the 2022 Q-1 price list (pdf link below), the TRP is listed as the Atlantic-2 TRP, which looking back in my records was how it was listed on the price list in April 2019. The test report that came with mine in Sept 2019 just says Atlantic TRP, fwiw. One difference I do see in the 2022 model table is that the PCM Engine is listed as 760 kHz, vs. 384 kHz previously. Is that of consequence? Is the PCB Type (engine?) still the 53, which is what DAC Test Report that came with mine shows? On the price list's upgrade options table there's an 1800 Euro retrofit "to the latest #34 from 2022 with DSD512 and PCM 32/760k in any DAC except the Horizon." What is that about? Thanks,

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing