LampizatOr Golden Atlantic + TRP

Ed_K

Oct 27, 2019
Greer, SC USA
Bummer on the Tak!

With the el51s, the adapted USAF 596 is excellent, as is the Shuguang gz480. I prefer these both to the KR's I have or the potato masher.
I’ll second your opinion on the USAF 596. Just got a Nos one a couple of weeks ago and the adapter from China. Surprising that the adapter from China to US only took two weeks. 596 has great dynamics so far. Still needs some more play time.

Reactions: ihmeyers

leftside

Jan 22, 2018
Brent Jessee seems to say WWII production, but I can’t speak from experience about later military ones. The later ones on eBay are cheap enough right now to consider a try. Give Brent a call or email. Also, you might ask Andy at Vintage Tube Services, although he seems more in love with the 5U4G, which I find romantic, too sweet.

I found the PSVane WE274B replica a little too warm and transparency mediocre. Subsequent listenings haven’t changed that opinion. It was a place for a tube novice to start, following someone’s recommendation, but it’s not in the same class as some of the others discussed here.
WWII or late 40's for me with RCA. Later than that and they get a little too warm for me in my system, but I know others who really like the 1950's RCA tubes.

ihmeyers

VIP/Donor
Nov 13, 2017
Palm Beach County, Florida
I’ll second your opinion on the USAF 596. Just got a Nos one a couple of weeks ago and the adapter from China. Surprising that the adapter from China to US only took two weeks. 596 has great dynamics so far. Still needs some more play time.
Thanks Ed. Where did you get the 596? Woo Audio sells a NOS 596 with an adapter for $300. Anyone know what brand those tubes are and how they sound?

ihmeyers

VIP/Donor
Nov 13, 2017
WWII or late 40's for me with RCA. Later than that and they get a little too warm for me in my system, but I know others who really like the 1950's RCA tubes.
Brent Jessee has those for $200. Not too bad. How about some of the others he has? Has anyone tried:

U52 Genalex 1950s UK
274B Western Electric, early engraved
274B Western Electric, yellow label base
5AR4/GZ34 metalbase, Mullard UK made
5AR4/GZ34 metalbase, Bugleboy Amperex/Philips Holland made
5R4GYS Philips, R/T France Made, 1960s vintage

Ed_K

Oct 27, 2019
Greer, SC USA
Thanks Ed. Where did you get the 596? Woo Audio sells a NOS 596 with an adapter for $300. Anyone know what brand those tubes are and how they sound?
Bought on eBay from Bandit35 for about $250 with shipping and PayPal fees. Very professional seller, nice note, satisfaction guaranteed and warranty info in box. Adapter from Tubemalls on eBay $20 delivered.

ihmeyers

VIP/Donor
Nov 13, 2017
Anyone familiar with the Emission Labs 274 or 5U4G?

ihmeyers

VIP/Donor
Nov 13, 2017
Going blue all the way :) Sophia electric 274B.
Which Sophia 274 work in the TRP? Is it the Aqua, the mesh plate or both? If both, what's the difference in SQ.

Thanks.

Reactions: perfusionist

Ed_K

Oct 27, 2019
Greer, SC USA
Anyone familiar with the Emission Labs 274 or 5U4G?
Just moved from a single ended TRP to a balanced TRP. The balanced TRP came with the emission labs 274b. I also have the KR5u4gRK. Also had the Psvane Acme Supreme 274b with my original TRP. It moved the soundstage too forward in my setup. So I sold it with my se trp. Right now the RK is still my favorite recti. The 596 may give it a run for the money. Where the RK sounds good with dam near all output tubes, the EML 274 was a bit too airy with the EL34’s and KT66’s that I now have. Qualifier... all systems are different. It is still a very good recti and I will probably keep it. So long story short, it is worth keeping, along with the RK and the 596 as I continue to roll output tubes. Problem for me now is that I need matched quads to continue my tube rolling fun.

ihmeyers

VIP/Donor
Nov 13, 2017
Just moved from a single ended TRP to a balanced TRP. The balanced TRP came with the emission labs 274b. I also have the KR5u4gRK. Also had the Psvane Acme Supreme 274b with my original TRP. It moved the soundstage too forward in my setup. So I sold it with my se trp. Right now the RK is still my favorite recti. The 596 may give it a run for the money. Where the RK sounds good with dam near all output tubes, the EML 274 was a bit too airy with the EL34’s and KT66’s that I now have. Qualifier... all systems are different. It is still a very good recti and I will probably keep it. So long story short, it is worth keeping, along with the RK and the 596 as I continue to roll output tubes. Problem for me now is that I need matched quads to continue my tube rolling fun.

Which Kron do you have? I have the Riccardo Kron Anniversary Edition 5U4G. I really want to like it. In my system, the Taki was better with every output tube I tried. I've been listening to the Shugaung all day. I think it's pretty neutral tonally but it sounds veiled to me relative to others. I'm buying 5 or 6 more rectis to try out and if they don't work out probably another Taki.

Ed_K

Oct 27, 2019
Greer, SC USA
Which Kron do you have? I have the Riccardo Kron Anniversary Edition 5U4G. I really want to like it. In my system, the Taki was better with every output tube I tried. I've been listening to the Shugaung all day. I think it's pretty neutral tonally but it sounds veiled to me relative to others. I'm buying 5 or 6 more rectis to try out and if they don't work out probably another Taki.

I have the same one as you have. Would love to get the Tak. On my list but it is a chunk of change! There are so many out there to try. What Shuguang are you referring to. WE274b? Keep us posted on the other rectis. Thx

leftside

Jan 22, 2018
Brent Jessee has those for $200. Not too bad. How about some of the others he has? Has anyone tried:

U52 Genalex 1950s UK
274B Western Electric, early engraved
274B Western Electric, yellow label base
5AR4/GZ34 metalbase, Mullard UK made
5AR4/GZ34 metalbase, Bugleboy Amperex/Philips Holland made
5R4GYS Philips, R/T France Made, 1960s vintage
I don't think Mullard made a metal base GZ34 - just Philips. You might see Mullard, Amperex lettering, but the codes on the metal base of the tube give away the factory where they were made.

There were 4 different metal base Philips. You might drive yourself crazy 1) trying to find them all and 2) listening for differences :)

There are also a lot of different GEC/Marconi/Osram U52. Grey plates, Black plates, D getter, saucer getter, etc.

perfusionist

Nov 4, 2020
Which Sophia 274 work in the TRP? Is it the Aqua, the mesh plate or both? If both, what's the difference in SQ.

Thanks.

it’s the Aqua 274B you need for the trp.

Princess 274B mesh plate requires the value of the first capacitor in the power supply no larger than 8 uf (usually it is for headphone amplifier or preamp) vs Aqua 274B allows up to 47uf.

perfusionist

Nov 4, 2020
I am planning to sell my GEC KT66 pair used NOS tubes (I bought them new for 750)

they have under 100 hours. Anyone interested?

matakana

Aug 26, 2020
UK
I am planning to sell my GEC KT66 pair used NOS tubes (I bought them new for 750)

they have under 100 hours. Anyone interested?
Anybody have experience with these beauties ?

Attachments

• 0F626E4B-F353-492B-80FE-FA93BCAD30D7.png
    0F626E4B-F353-492B-80FE-FA93BCAD30D7.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 23

Lampie519

Mar 14, 2021
Hoofddorp, Holland
Great video and explanation why you chose to have it altered (upgraded).

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
Thanks for the thorough and patient explanation of the video. Look forward to the next. At the same time, after the relatively straight forward experience getting DSD with a PS Audio DirectStream dac, it reminds me of how complicated, and potentially costly, the process is with most others, including the Lampi.

perfusionist

Nov 4, 2020
Thanks for the thorough and patient explanation of the video. Look forward to the next. At the same time, after the relatively straight forward experience getting DSD with a PS Audio DirectStream dac, it reminds me of how complicated, and potentially costly, the process is with most others, including the Lampi.
you are welcome! Feel free to subscribe hehe. Shamelessly promoting myself

the upgrade cost and shipping was around a 1000 bucks. I had to get the i2s cable which cost me about 450 and a new rack (1000) from butcher block acoustics. I could have stuck with a different cheaper rack , but wanted to maintain the same aesthetics. I bought the rack after I was convinced that the “mod” is a keeper

Reactions: Golum

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
Compared to running from an SSD to Oppo (with a DSD board) to the Directstream, which takes a couple of good quality cables, yours with the TRP involves a lot of gear and a lot more than $1K, including upgrades, clockers, cables, router, perhaps a streamer, server, computer of some kind to run it, etc. This is not at all a criticism of your choices but a comment about how complicated (or maybe complex) developers using different standards have made it to get DSD (and streaming) by having different standards and methods of connection. I'm not sure if I've formulated that correctly, but I think the point is evident.

Last edited:

perfusionist

Nov 4, 2020
Compared to running from an SSD to Oppo (with a DSD board) to the Directstream, which takes a couple of good quality cables, yours with the TRP involves a lot of gear and a lot more than $1K, including upgrades, clockers, cables, router, perhaps a streamer, server, computer of some kind to run it, etc. This is not at all a criticism of your choices but a comment about how complicated (or maybe complex) developers using different standards have made it to get DSD (and streaming) by having different standards and methods of connection. I'm not sure if I've formulated that correctly, but I think the point is evident.

Experimenting is part of the fun of this hobby I guess and I think I am embracing it completely hehe

Reactions: leftside

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing