LampizatOr Golden Atlantic + TRP

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
I still have the problem with the EL51's that I spoke to after getting the first pair. The Tesla EL51 seems to either hit a volume level or excites the room in a way that feels overloaded at a much lower preamp volume setting than, say, a GEC KT66. It makes it hard to go more than medium loud without losing some clarity.

LampiNA

Jun 30, 2015
Reactions: Monsterzero

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
In reading tube test results, does the term Reference refer to specs when new or the bad point? For example, if a tube measures 52/52 on a Hickock T7 with a reference of 40, does that it mean it’s measuring better than new, or used but still a little life left?

HungarianPal

Jul 18, 2020
Hungary
In reading tube test results, does the term Reference refer to specs when new or the bad point? For example, if a tube measures 52/52 on a Hickock T7 with a reference of 40, does that it mean it’s measuring better than new, or used but still a little life left?
The latter.
I have been searching ebay for out-of-production rectifier tubes and for the types I am after many times 40 is indicated as minimum value in testing, which represents 65% of new. If you do your maths it means that new would be around 62. NOS tubes often measure even better than that.

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
I see minimum value listed often too, but in this case it is labeled Reference.

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
Fivre 5R4GY

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
There are a few Fivre on eBay right now, almost all from one Italian dealer, and all priced for a market that doesn't appear to exist (they've not sold in months). When I asked why what seem to be well used ones -- 50/50 and 52/52 with 40 as the reference -- were priced as such, he got quite huffy. But then I thought maybe there's something I don't get about the measurements. There seem to be quite a few Brimar's going for a fraction of the Fivre's.

How important is it to match all four tubes in a balanced DAC? It's hard enough finding a matched pair of EL51s much less a matched quad.

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
How important is it to match all four tubes in a balanced DAC? It's hard enough finding a matched pair of EL51s much less a matched quad.

I would say it is pretty important. It puts you in control of your tone. Matching the plate current and transconductance allows you to set the bias with maximum precision for that optimal sweet spot where the tubes will sound their best and allow for more playing time. If quad is not an option, go with two pairs.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
THE different and cool thing about the TRP VS THE GG/PAC is that for the balanced version, you dont need 4 tubes to play it. If you only insert the front 2 tubes its essentially a SE Dac and U can use that mode to test out new tubes to see if you like them in your system.You can also use TWO different matched pairs of pentodes in the TRP, as long as you have each side with one tube each of the pair, ie left side has one 588/6L6 tube and one EL34 tube. Now, how this will sound is Bal mode and if it is theoretically good for optiomal SQ, I have no idea, but its perfectly safe to try and may suit some people.

@wison Thanks for the info. The following is confirmation from Lukasz with some additional details.
  1. Is the GA TRP 2 auto-biasing so that it will adjust for different spec tubes? In other words, as long as I insert a tube with matching pinout, it won’t cause damage to the DAC? YES, EXACTLY. ANY PENTODE OR TERODE WITH SAME PINOUT WILL WORK JUST FINE
  2. How important is to use matching quad tubes vs two sets of matched pairs vs all unmatched? Is there a specific left vs right side that I should install them if they aren’t matched? EACH TUBE HAS THE PARAMETERS SET INDIVIDUALLY, SO THEORETICALLY THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH USING 4 RADICALLY DIFFERENT TUBES. THE LEFT - RIGHT WORK AS “SEEN” AND REAR ROW IS BALANCED NEGATIVE, FRONT ROW IS SE AND XLR POSITIVE. WHEN YOU LISTEN TO SE YOU CAN USE ONLY FRONT ROW OF TUBES.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
THE different and cool thing about the TRP VS THE GG/PAC is that for the balanced version, you dont need 4 tubes to play it. If you only insert the front 2 tubes its essentially a SE Dac and U can use that mode to test out new tubes to see if you like them in your system..
I thought this is possible with the balanced GG/Pacific DACs as well just that there it is the back pair of sockets to use as SE only?
Is this correct from my memory.
If not, please correct me :oops:

owen lawlor

Jul 30, 2010
Has anyone experimented with PCs on the Lampi? I just put a Synergistic Research Galileo SX on the TRP and holy hell the stage just expanded exponentially with incredible bass tonality and texturing. I've never experienced imaging like this - 30 feet up in the air with wraparound!

Has anyone experimented with PCs on the Lampi? I just put a Synergistic Research Galileo SX on the TRP and holy hell the stage just expanded exponentially with incredible bass tonality and texturing. I've never experienced imaging like this - 30 feet up in the air with wraparound!

I have a Synergistic Research PowerCell 12 UEF SE and PS Audio DirectStream Power Plant 12 Regenerator en route to me. I will report back once I've had a chance to evaluate.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing