LampizatOr Baltic 3

Jagodak

Jun 4, 2022
EU
I guess the new look of b3 is sell with volume option. It is available in current price list as an option.

mourip

Feb 8, 2020
I gave these charmingly labelled fellas a whirl in my Baltic and they were pleasant enough but fell short of the g73r and a long way behind the e80cc. Lower transparency, smaller dimensionally and less emotional intensity.
I just received a pair of e80cc tubes and will probably fire them up today. You use them on the lower gain setting?

With my 12AU7s I compared both gain settings and found the higher setting to sound better. Do the e80cc's have more inherent gain?

Thanks!

Sablon Audio

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
May 22, 2015
Cool! They are higher gain than 12au7 however my dac has volume control. Higher gain setting could sound better as no resistors attenuating though you should experiment to see optimal match with your amp

Reactions: mourip

VoicesInMyHead

Apr 7, 2018
Sweden
I've been catching up in 2 of my favourite WBF threads today, the Horizon and the Taiko threads, unfortunately these threads are not healthy for me as they create dreams and cravings that cannot be fulfilled, so every now and then I have to take a break from reading them to not go insane... ;)

BUT coming back to reality and thinking of what I have I actually don't feel so bad. One and a half year later I'm happier than ever with my Baltic 3. While the rest of my system have been upgraded with new amplifier, new power cables, interconnects, speaker cables, fuses, tubes, tubes & more tubes, ethernet switches, usb re-clockers, various power and server upgrades and so on, the Baltic 3 itself remains, and I just can't think of anything that I would possibly want to replace it with! The B3 is not a limiting factor for me, but rather the other way around, it has kept growing with the rest of the system.

A friend is eagerly waiting for his B3 which should have been ready last week, I know people who are waiting for lot's of stuff these days and it seems everything is slightly delayed. Anyhow, he's super excited about it and to be honest I'm probably just as excited as him! I can't wait to hear what it will do in his setup and be part of the journey that begins for him with various tubes etc. I think I can point him in a few directions, but at the same time his setup is a bit different than mine and I also don't want to spoil all the fun for him while finding his own way.

As usual it's recommended to change the fuse though, I tried QSA Yellow and SR Purple and settled with the latter. Power cables is always important and should not be overlooked, I've been using a few different ones but my current Sablon Audio Prince is there to stay and the same goes for interconnects and USB cables (also Sablon). It actually feels quite nice knowing that that Mr. @Sablon Audio himself is using a B3 these days. :)

I've also been testing a few different feet under my Baltic lately, including the Graphite Audio which was mentioned in the Horizon thread and which was also positioned under the Horizon in Münich for example. Different feet does seem to make quite a difference under Lampi's, but I'm actually not sure I always like what they do, sometimes things becomes almost too straightened up, nice and clean and I tend to come back to preferring the original feet, which I guess is not a bad thing. I need to do some more experiments here and especially with those Graphite's.

Yes, I know it's dusty(!), I've never owned a DAC this long before so it's a new problem to deal with...

Anyway, life as a happy B3 owner continues, I have some new tubes on the way as I thought it could be interesting to give 12bh7 a try. I think they share some similarities with e80cc but still being a bit different. The fun just never ends...

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
I've been catching up in 2 of my favourite WBF threads today, the Horizon and the Taiko threads, unfortunately these threads are not healthy for me as they create dreams and cravings that cannot be fulfilled, so every now and then I have to take a break from reading them to not go insane... ;)

BUT coming back to reality and thinking of what I have I actually don't feel so bad. One and a half year later I'm happier than ever with my Baltic 3. While the rest of my system have been upgraded with new amplifier, new power cables, interconnects, speaker cables, fuses, tubes, tubes & more tubes, ethernet switches, usb re-clockers, various power and server upgrades and so on, the Baltic 3 itself remains, and I just can't think of anything that I would possibly want to replace it with! The B3 is not a limiting factor for me, but rather the other way around, it has kept growing with the rest of the system.

A friend is eagerly waiting for his B3 which should have been ready last week, I know people who are waiting for lot's of stuff these days and it seems everything is slightly delayed. Anyhow, he's super excited about it and to be honest I'm probably just as excited as him! I can't wait to hear what it will do in his setup and be part of the journey that begins for him with various tubes etc. I think I can point him in a few directions, but at the same time his setup is a bit different than mine and I also don't want to spoil all the fun for him while finding his own way.

As usual it's recommended to change the fuse though, I tried QSA Yellow and SR Purple and settled with the latter. Power cables is always important and should not be overlooked, I've been using a few different ones but my current Sablon Audio Prince is there to stay and the same goes for interconnects and USB cables (also Sablon). It actually feels quite nice knowing that that Mr. @Sablon Audio himself is using a B3 these days. :)

I've also been testing a few different feet under my Baltic lately, including the Graphite Audio which was mentioned in the Horizon thread and which was also positioned under the Horizon in Münich for example. Different feet does seem to make quite a difference under Lampi's, but I'm actually not sure I always like what they do, sometimes things becomes almost too straightened up, nice and clean and I tend to come back to preferring the original feet, which I guess is not a bad thing. I need to do some more experiments here and especially with those Graphite's.

Yes, I know it's dusty(!), I've never owned a DAC this long before so it's a new problem to deal with...

Anyway, life as a happy B3 owner continues, I have some new tubes on the way as I thought it could be interesting to give 12bh7 a try. I think they share some similarities with e80cc but still being a bit different. The fun just never ends...
I really like the Graphite Audio accessories, they deserve a chance. The loudspeaker isolators from them make a stunning job. They are up there with the best.

VoicesInMyHead

Apr 7, 2018
Sweden
I really like the Graphite Audio accessories, they deserve a chance. The loudspeaker isolators from them make a stunning job. They are up there with the best.

I agree, I bought a bunch of them, cones, bases and cable stands and I'm trying them out in different positions. I think isolation products is worth trying in your own system and see what the result is, but also be careful that it might not always be an improvement to your liking.

P-pan

Sep 28, 2015
While the rest of my system have been upgraded with new... tubes, tubes & more tubes,

Yea, I know almost everything about that.
I've been on rehab for about 6 months now and I'm still clean.
Believe it or not... but the "itch" is painful.

Just a couple more... :eek:

• Haha
Reactions: VoicesInMyHead

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
I agree, I bought a bunch of them, cones, bases and cable stands and I'm trying them out in different positions. I think isolation products is worth trying in your own system and see what the result is, but also be careful that it might not always be an improvement to your liking.
I've seen in the photo you using spikes with the bases. Have you tried only the spikes?

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
I have, but I still used the spikes upside down, I saw in photos from Munich that they had the spikes the other way around and I was going to try that next.
Good idea. Also, try with different points. I would put one under the transformer and the rest on the other side of the chassis. Really cleans the sound, but it can be a little unstable depending on the device.

Redwoodaudio

Aug 25, 2021
I just placed my order for the Baltic 3 with copper chassis and volume control. Turns out, all Baltics (maybe all Lampi’s) with the VC option now come with the larger Pacific display and remove the ring light as of June 1st. Just wanted to mention for those considering purchasing one. I’ll post pics once I receive it, hopefully in mid-July.

I also ordered the upgraded EML mesh rectifier with it, as recommended by Rob at lampizatorna.com.

Once I get the Baltic 3 and get used to its sound, I’m planning to upgrade my amp (a mildly restored Jolida 502b with some legit NOS tubes and KT120s) to AGD Audion monoblocks, or possibly the Vivace (or even Grand Vivace) depending on my budget at the time. Anyone use any Lampis with AGD amps? I’m curious how well they’ll play together.
Just demoed an AGD Tempo di GaN amp in my system (driven by Lampizator Atlantic TRP volume control) -- exceptional clarity, quiet, dynamics. However, just a little analytical/bloodless for my taste. Just couldn't connect with the music like I do with my Absolare Integrated.

VoicesInMyHead

Apr 7, 2018
Sweden
Hey I just bought a B3 and was wondering if there is a consensus around the best tube set and where to get the adapters...

congrats to your new B3! :)

can there ever be a consensus about subjective things as how something sounds? I think that's the whole idea with tubes and being able to roll them yourself that you can tune the sound to your liking and personal preferences. there's no right or wrong here.

currently my personal favourite is RCA 6F8G with adapters from Woo Audio but the adapters are quite expensive and it might be worth getting something cheaper from eBay to begin with and see if you want to go down the adapter road at all or prefer staying with 6SN7 tubes.

I always seem to prefer NOS/vintage tubes over new production.

I'd recommend to stick with the supplied tubes for a month or so to get a base reference before going nuts with other tubes... ;)

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
congrats to your new B3! :)

can there ever be a consensus about subjective things as how something sounds? I think that's the whole idea with tubes and being able to roll them yourself that you can tune the sound to your liking and personal preferences. there's no right or wrong here.

currently my personal favourite is RCA 6F8G with adapters from Woo Audio but the adapters are quite expensive and it might be worth getting something cheaper from eBay to begin with and see if you want to go down the adapter road at all or prefer staying with 6SN7 tubes.

I always seem to prefer NOS/vintage tubes over new production.

I'd recommend to stick with the supplied tubes for a month or so to get a base reference before going nuts with other tubes... ;)
Excellent posting :cool:

But I also understand kairosman to first get a few recommendations on what seems to work for a larger group of B3 users and go from there to find "his magic" complement of tubes.

He doesn't have to find out on his own, what tubes are not worth the hassle and take profit from the "B3-experts" experience.
Why waste money and time on mediocre and subpar tubes when honorable and curious and adventurous B3 owners already spent the money and time and did the homework and are also willing to share their wisdom? ;)

VoicesInMyHead

Apr 7, 2018
Sweden
But I also understand kairosman to first get a few recommendations on what seems to work for a larger group of B3 users and go from there to find "his magic" complement of tubes.

He doesn't have to find out on his own, what tubes are not worth the hassle and take profit from the "B3-experts" experience.
Why waste money and time on mediocre and subpar tubes when honorable and curious and adventurous B3 owners already spent the money and time and did the homework and are also willing to share their wisdom? ;)

absolutely, I didn't mean that so harsh I was only trying to point out that there's many preferences and different opinions, people will always have different taste and it's maybe about filtering and trying to identify people on forums who you think might have similar taste as yourself etc, I think quite a few have shared their favourites in this thread (and in other Lampi threads among others), searching is part of the fun though and the more B3 owners the merrier! :)

so in short.. in my view you can't go wrong with VT99/6F8G tubes and adapters. but I know not everyone shares this view.
for rectifiers I personally preferred KR 5U4G RK over Psvane ACME 274B but I like my old GEC U52 the most!
for 12au7/ecc82 tubes I currently don't have a strong opinion, I've been flipping back and forth a bit between the same tubes in my amplifier (currently a mix of Mullard cv4003 box plate, Amperex 7316 and Tungsram e80cc)

Reactions: christoph

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
absolutely, I didn't mean that so harsh I was only trying to point out that there's many preferences and different opinions, people will always have different taste and it's maybe about filtering and trying to identify people on forums who you think might have similar taste as yourself etc, I think quite a few have shared their favourites in this thread (and in other Lampi threads among others), searching is part of the fun though and the more B3 owners the merrier! :)

so in short.. in my view you can't go wrong with VT99/6F8G tubes and adapters. but I know not everyone shares this view.
for rectifiers I personally preferred KR 5U4G RK over Psvane ACME 274B but I like my old GEC U52 the most!
for 12au7/ecc82 tubes I currently don't have a strong opinion, I've been flipping back and forth a bit between the same tubes in my amplifier (currently a mix of Mullard cv4003 box plate, Amperex 7316 and Tungsram e80cc)
I'm sorry, I didn't want to sound harsh either.
I abolutely agree that finding possible tubes and hunting them down and then compare them to your favorites in your stash is fun but it is another side-hobby of owning a Lampi DAC than chosing from a select group of agreed-upon tubes from the community.
Not every one wants to cater to this researching and hunting part of the hobby.

But you are absolutely right, the more the merrier and as soon as we spot the ones that prefer the same tubes as we do, we can almost blindly trust their findings and try those tubes almost risk free ;)
So thanks for telling us your favorites :cool:

kairosman

Oct 12, 2020
Vancouver, Canada
Hey guys thanks for the recommendations

Hey thanks man, much appreciated!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing