LampizatOr Baltic 3

mourip

Feb 8, 2020
I am in the process of burning in my new Baltic 3 and trying to figure out the best way to use it. With my previous systems I have used a DDC to re-clock the USB input from my Roon NUC endpoint which runs AudioLinux. This allowed me to use the AES input of my Schiit Yggdrasil.

First of all I am very impressed with the sound I am getting using USB straight in to my Baltic. It may be it’s best input. I know that in forums where Lampizator DACs are discussed I never see others using a DDC. Having said that I want to circle back and at least try my Mutec USB and Denefrips Hermes DDC’s. It is easily possible that the USB input will sound best and I can happily sell off some equipment.

This morning I set up my Mutec to use AES into the B3. Once I got it configured it sounded very good but whenever I turned the volume up or the music had a crescendo I got a lot of static or popping. I would say that it was clipping but it really sounded like an issue in the digital domain. I have always used Roon set to “Fixed Volume” so that is where I started. To me it always sounded best. Cutting to the chase, what I discovered was that I had to set Roon to “Device Volume” and drop the digital volume control to 75 out of 100. I seems as if the digital AES output of the DDC was overloading the B3 AES input.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

mourip

Feb 8, 2020
I finally tried my Denefrips DDC and it worked perfectly however after experimenting with the AES input I have decided that the JL Sounds USB input is a lot better. Remarkable really. This is great as it will allow me to simplify my system.

Tube rolling is going really well. Current tube lineup is 5814 triple mica(12AU7), Tungsol Round Plate 12SN7(TSRP), and 80 ST shape rectifier(with adapter). I had a globe 80 in there but actually liked the ST version better. I also tried a pair of 7N7s in there, and do like them a lot, but find the TSRPs to be more balanced, detailed and refined.

Still thinking about a better USB cable. Using a nice Ghent Audio now. I have used it for a couple of years but am always looking for something better!

Last edited:

VoicesInMyHead

Apr 7, 2018
Sweden
Things are going really well. Current tube lineup is 5814 triple mica(12AU7), Tungsol Round Plate 12SN7(TSRP), and 80 ST shape rectifier(with adapter). I had a globe 80 in there but actually liked the ST version better. I also had a pair of 7N7s in there for a while and do like them a lot but find the TSRPs to be more balanced, detailed and refined.

Glad to hear things are going nicely for you, personally I continue to be impressed with my Baltic 3 even ten months later... playing with tubes can for sure open up new dimensions... ;)

Still thinking about a better USB cable. Using a nice Ghent Audio now. I have used it for a couple of years but am always looking for something better!

I'm using a Sablon Audio 2020 USB cable which I found to be the best I've ever tried and it is also very popular on a some forums (like this). I know some Lampi owners like the Final Touch Audio but I've not tried it myself. And then I've read good things about Shunyata Omega, but that is getting close to what the DAC costs... ;)

Kenc

Jan 3, 2019
Toronto, Canada
To those who have had the opportunity of listening to the B3 alongside other Lampi works (TRP, GG, Pacific), I wonder
if you would care to comment on the relative strengths and weaknesses of these DACs. Not that upgraditis or anything like that might be brewing :cool:

mourip

Feb 8, 2020
Few guys using 80 type and loving them a lot...but I mean A LOT
So I tried an 80 and an 83. I was not sure about the 83 as it is a mercury vapor rectifier and reportedly does not tolerate much capacitance after it. I got word via Rob from Lukaz that it would be OK. Both are now at the top of my list. Very musical with the 83 in the lead for dynamics and surprising slam. I still have some 5Z3's to try and also a Brimar 5R4GY.

I would be interested in any reports for the Sophia 274B Aqua.

BTW. The 6v/12v switch works great. I am using a Tungsol round plate 12SN7 currently.

Last edited:
Reactions: christoph

mourip

Feb 8, 2020
Time has passed and I have been busy integrating my B3 with the rest of my system. I now have a Tungsol 5Z3 rectifier, still have the Tungsol round plate 12SN7s, and now a pair of Mullard 12AU7s. This is the best setup so far.

The big news is that I settled on a USB cable. I have always believed that analog cables made a big difference. I could see how they were basically a filter(LCR) that had to effect the sound. But bits are bits. Right? So as long as a digital cable met the electrical standard it could not make a difference. Wrong!

Based upon all of the extremely positive reviews of the FTA Callisto , and the kinds of improvements that others described, I contacted LampizatorUSA to purchase one as a limited trial. To be honest I had doubts, but as I was allowed a trial period I figured that I had nothing to lose. So I started with a mixture of both skepticism and hopefulness. I really wanted the cable to help dial in the sound of my system but doubted that it could be as great as reports had indicated.

This cable is great. It has improved nearly every aspect of my sound quality. I now feel that my previous USB cable was the weak link in my system.

Now I want to look into their interconnect$ :rolleyes:

Last edited:

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
So I tried an 80 and an 83. I was not sure about the 83 as it is a mercury vapor rectifier and reportedly does not tolerate much capacitance after it. I got word via Rob from Lukaz that it would be OK. Both are now at the top of my list. Very musical with the 83 in the lead for dynamics and surprising slam. I still have some 5Z3's to try and also a Brimar 5R4GY.

I would be interested in any reports for the Sophia 274B Aqua.

BTW. The 6v/12v switch works great. I am using a Tungsol round plate 12SN7 currently.
Does the 83 type needs the same adapter like the 80 type?

Nikko

Feb 25, 2021
This cable is great. It has improved nearly every aspect of my sound quality. I now feel that my previous USB cable was the weak link in my system.

Hi Mourip

My UK Lampi dealer, Greg, sold me a pair of these:

Albedo Metamorphosis MONOCRYSTAL - XLR​

My wallet has yet to recover but they sure sound fine in my system, and connect a Baltic 3 (with integrated pre-amp) to my Boulder power amp.

Greg also sold me a GigaWatt power conditioner. This was a reaction to my local power company changing a transformer outside my house, with a voltage spike that fried my Baltic 3, resulting in a trip back to Poland. The GW will prevent this from happening again and also reduces the noise floor as an added benefit.

Good Polish products.

Nikko

mourip

Feb 8, 2020
Reactions: christoph

mourip

Feb 8, 2020
Hi Mourip

My UK Lampi dealer, Greg, sold me a pair of these:

Albedo Metamorphosis MONOCRYSTAL - XLR​

My wallet has yet to recover but they sure sound fine in my system, and connect a Baltic 3 (with integrated pre-amp) to my Boulder power amp.

Greg also sold me a GigaWatt power conditioner. This was a reaction to my local power company changing a transformer outside my house, with a voltage spike that fried my Baltic 3, resulting in a trip back to Poland. The GW will prevent this from happening again and also reduces the noise floor as an added benefit.

Good Polish products.

Nikko
Eek! I am sure that they sound great but they cost more than my Baltic! Almost as much as my amp...

I think that I will need to bail out at around $1K. Not sure what the FTA IC's cost.

JacobLTA

Nov 7, 2021
Hi guys, first post on this forum but I wanted to chime in after spending the weekend with the B3. First thing I found was the RCA "double getter" 5R4GY is a fine and inexpensive upgrade over the stock rectifier with the Psvane 6SN7-BE and Sylvania 6189. I later rolled in a Mullard GZ37 with GE 6SN7GTB which provided a bit more bass slam and more forward midrange. Love the tweak-ability of this DAC!

LampiNA

Jun 30, 2015
Time has passed and I have been busy integrating my B3 with the rest of my system. I now have a Tungsol 5Z3 rectifier, still have the Tungsol round plate 12SN7s, and now a pair of Mullard 12AU7s. This is the best setup so far.

The big news is that I settled on a USB cable. I have always believed that analog cables made a big difference. I could see how they were basically a filter(LCR) that had to effect the sound. But bits are bits. Right? So as long as a digital cable met the electrical standard it could not make a difference. Wrong!

Based upon all of the extremely positive reviews of the FTA Callisto , and the kinds of improvements that others described, I contacted LampizatorUSA to purchase one as a limited trial. To be honest I had doubts, but as I was allowed a trial period I figured that I had nothing to lose. So I started with a mixture of both skepticism and hopefulness. I really wanted the cable to help dial in the sound of my system but doubted that it could be as great as reports had indicated.

The FTA Callisto DEFINITELY takes the Baltic 3 to the next level! I'm glad it worked out so well for you!

LampiNA

Jun 30, 2015
Hi guys, first post on this forum but I wanted to chime in after spending the weekend with the B3. First thing I found was the RCA "double getter" 5R4GY is a fine and inexpensive upgrade over the stock rectifier with the Psvane 6SN7-BE and Sylvania 6189. I later rolled in a Mullard GZ37 with GE 6SN7GTB which provided a bit more bass slam and more forward midrange. Love the tweak-ability of this DAC!
Another tube to try is the 7N7. I started experimenting again with one in the Baltic 3 in my living room system the other day and my immediate impressions are very positive. I'll comment more after it's settled in a bit.

mourip

Feb 8, 2020
The FTA Callisto DEFINITELY takes the Baltic 3 to the next level! I'm glad it worked out so well for you!
Thanks! Any input regarding the differences between the Ganymede and Thebe ICs?

Big price difference but how would you characterize their sonic differences?

mourip

Feb 8, 2020
Another tube to try is the 7N7. I started experimenting again with one in the Baltic 3 in my living room system the other day and my immediate impressions are very positive. I'll comment more after it's settled in a bit.
A great tube and still a bargain even after buying the necessary adapter. I have used then for many years, first with my old SinglePower headamp and then with my Linear Tube Audio preamp. Now with my FTA USB cable I will have to rotate them in again. I did try them earlier with my old cable but this is a new world :)

Reactions: LampiNA
My new Lampizator Baltic 3 Dac has arrived and set up in my sound system. The sound after 4 days running is very natural on voice and instruments that allow long listening sessions with out fatigue. In my open plan living room the sound system is playing all day (12 hours) so it is crucial that the sound is not bright or analytical in presentation as I have found that over time audio systems that might impress in the first 30 mins can then become fatiguing and make me want to turn off after a few hours (fine for people that might only play music a hour a day). I am using the PBN Audio M1.5 horn speaker that I really like for their dynamics inner detail & bass response in my room, the PBN Audio speakers have replaced my Rockport Atria that were just too small sounding in my 7.5 x 10.5 metre room. The Baltic 3 Dac really excels on voice and tone of instruments and is more refined sounding than my Lampizator Amber Dac's at a different price point - so understandable. Congratulations to Lukasz & the team at Lampizator they have made a incredible DAC.

My sound system components.
Lampizator Baltic 3 DAC - USB connected to Tidal. Audio-antiquary Wood C3M vacuum tube line stage. AirTight ATM-2 Plus power amplifier.
PBN Audio M1!5 loudspeakers. Cables are all copper made by me at Parmenter Sound except the USB cable that is Oyaide USB Continental 5S.

Attachments

• IMG_7899.JPG
    IMG_7899.JPG
    396.1 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_7900.JPG
    IMG_7900.JPG
    319.9 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_7901.JPG
    IMG_7901.JPG
    429.5 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_7906.JPG
    IMG_7906.JPG
    290.5 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_7904.JPG
    IMG_7904.JPG
    532.9 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_7902.JPG
    IMG_7902.JPG
    392.8 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:

LampiNA

Jun 30, 2015
Thanks! Any input regarding the differences between the Ganymede and Thebe ICs?

Big price difference but how would you characterize their sonic differences?
The Ganymede is definitely the superior cable and it is immediately noticable. It had more depth, diminesionality, better tone, better density and more resolution than the Thebe. The Thebe is a great cable, please don't take this as a knock on it, but its priced below the Gany for a reason--apart from the sound, the construction of the Gany requires a lot more work (by hand--none of this is off a spool) and is more than twice as labor (i.e. carpel tunel, lol) involved.

I'm confident that you would enjoy the Thebe--but if budget permits your Baltic 3 deserves the Ganymede--what it brings to the table will be inline with what what you just observed with the Callisto.

Reactions: mourip and Golum

LampiNA

Jun 30, 2015
My new Lampizator Baltic 3 Dac has arrived and set up in my sound system. The sound after 4 days running is very natural on voice and instruments that allow long listening sessions with out fatigue. In my open plan living room the sound system is playing all day (12 hours) so it is crucial that the sound is not bright or analytical in presentation as I have found that over time audio systems that might impress in the first 30 mins can then become fatiguing and make me want to turn off after a few hours (fine for people that might only play music a hour a day). I am using the PBN Audio M1.5 horn speaker that I really like for their dynamics inner detail & bass response in my room, the PBN Audio speakers have replaced my Rockport Atria that were just too small sounding in my 7.5 x 10.5 metre room. The Baltic 3 Dac really excels on voice and tone of instruments and is more refined sounding than my Lampizator Amber Dac's at a different price point - so understandable. Congratulations to Lukasz & the team at Lampizator they have made a incredible DAC.

My sound system components.
Lampizator Baltic 3 DAC - USB connected to Tidal. Audio-antiquary Wood C3M vacuum tube line stage. AirTight ATM-2 Plus power amplifier.
PBN Audio M1!5 loudspeakers. Cables are all copper made by me at Parmenter Sound except the USB cable that is Oyaide USB Continental 5S.
Congratulations, Jason! In my own experience that Baltic will continue to evolve for a good month of use. Enjoy--it will only get better!

Reactions: Parmenter Sound
Congratulations, Jason! In my own experience that Baltic will continue to evolve for a good month of use. Enjoy--it will only get better!
Thank you for letting me know your experience on run in time on the Baltic 3, this is really appreciated.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing