LampizatOr Baltic 3

Vangelis

Oct 11, 2011
Ok, my brain is nearly exploding, but this tube rolling will be a real adventure!

• Haha
Reactions: Nikko

Vangelis

Oct 11, 2011
Hi Vangelis

From my posts earlier in this thread, you will see that I have settled on:

- Psvane Acme 5U4G rectifier (available new)
- 2x RCA red base 5691 in the 6SN7 position (NOS)
- 2x Mullard ECC82 output tubes (NOS)

You have ordered a superb DAC but the factory-supplied tubes only hint at its potential. As others have suggested, rolling the 6SN7 tubes will have the greatest impact. As an alternative to the RCA tubes, I really liked the Sylvania 6SN7GTB tubes (NOS readily available from Ebay) but also the Psvane CV181-T (available new). I also tried the VT99s and they were very, very good (but not as good as the RCAs). You need to use a high quality adapter with the VT99s and they put the cost up to the point where you can just buy the RCAs (if you can find them) for the same money.

I hope you really enjoy your purchase when it arrives, and have some NOS tubes ready to go!

Nikko
I am very excited about the new DAC. Thanks for the those tube references. I’ve just started to explore and read a little bit, at least enough to get in trouble. Will the RCAs retain their 10,000 hr life expectancy from the voltage output of the 6SN7 position on Baltic 3?

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
I am very excited about the new DAC. Thanks for the those tube references. I’ve just started to explore and read a little bit, at least enough to get in trouble. Will the RCAs retain their 10,000 hr life expectancy from the voltage output of the 6SN7 position on Baltic 3?
If you read the B3 user manual its stated that they will live a loooooooooooooooong life....

Nikko

Feb 25, 2021
If you read the B3 user manual its stated that they will live a loooooooooooooooong life....

Precisely, Golum. From page 9 of the user manual:

"The tube lifetime, almost like the life of a car engine in cold climate – is determined largely by the on-off cycle. The heat expansion coefficient of the glass is so much different than that of the metal, that the air-tight seal of the metal pins can leak oxygen inside the tube and eventually kill it. Even if it is just one molecule per day. So in other words it is better to keep the DAC always on, than to switch it on and off more than necessary.

The lampizator DAC with tube rectifier has a slow start feature which brings the high voltage supply gradually up, at the rate of two- to five volts per second. The PSU reaches 250 V DC after 90 seconds. This helps to extend tube life. The DAC is also equipped with voltage down feature (bleeders) which reduce the power voltage upon switch-off at roughly the same rate.

On top of that – the tubes are operated always around 25% of full nominal power, which greatly increases their life expectancy. Combining all the factors together, the tube lifetime should be anywhere between 10 and 20 years, assuming the player is switched off only once per day, for the night."

@Vangelis, I paid £400 for my RCA pair and they made such an uplift to the SQ that, to me, it was a "no-brainer". The output tubes are also worth experimenting with and my chosen pair were just £140. I think I paid around £380 for the Psvane rectifier. All up, I have spent less than 15% of the capital cost of the DAC (mine was a bit more expensive than the base version as it has a pre-amp/volume control), but it sounds so much better than with the stock tubes that I recommend rolling as "essential". And, as you say, also fun.

Nikko

Last edited:
Reactions: Golum

LampiNA

Jun 30, 2015
Just a quick PSA for anyone who may have been on the fence for a Baltic 3 DAC... On July 1, 2021 the price will be increasing by 500E. We hate to do it but the costs of supplies needed for the build have increased dramatically.

Best,

Fred A.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Just a quick PSA for anyone who may have been on the fence for a Baltic 3 DAC... On July 1, 2021 the price will be increasing by 500E. We hate to do it but the costs of supplies needed for the build have increased dramatically.

Best,

Fred A.
Thanks for the warning, Fred

dhemen

Jun 19, 2019
Hello Lampi friends
I have the stock psvane Blue globes on 6sn7s on my Baltic3 and want to make a decent upgrade on these. To be honest I don't think these tubes are bad but sounds a bit top and bottom end blown up. Looking for something more creamy musical..
Can you share your experiences on 6sn7 tube rolling? What tubes will be the clear upgrade ?
Would 1960s RCA 6sn7 gtb do the trick or should I go back to 1940s 6sn7gt series? Or another brands?

Many thanks for the help

Reactions: dbeau

Nikko

Feb 25, 2021
Hi Dhemen

I assume you have read the posts earlier in this thread. I documented my experience rolling the 6SN7 tubes and tried out many different options before setting on the RCA red base 5691. You can read all about it on page 7 of this thread. FWIW, I also like the VT99 (although with the cost of the adapters, they work out even more expensive than the RCAs) and also the Sylvania 6SN7GTB. Neither of them are nearly as good as the RCA.

It's also well worth rolling the output tubes, which I wrote about on page 8 of this thread.

Long story short, I paid £400 for the 5691s and £140 for the Mullard EEC82s, and another £380 for a Psvane Acme 274B rectifier, which is <15% of the cost of the DAC itself. And I have a hugely improved sound from the factory-supplied tubes.

Hope you enjoy the ride.

Nikko

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
I documented my experience rolling the 6SN7 tubes and tried out many different options before setting on the RCA red base 5691.
I strongly recommend you to try rca red base 5692 tubes cause they are the substitute of 6SN7 tubes, 5691 tubes are not. 5691 tubes can be considered the subtitutes of 6SL7’s. I used rca red base 5692 tubes, they sound very dynamic but a little aggressive for me. I prefer tung-sol vt-231 smoked glass, oval mica, copper posts or marconi B65 to rca 5692’s. rca vt-231 smoked glass is an economic alternative and 5692 is definitely a great sounding tube on the right equipment.
in the place of stock 5U4G cossor 53KU or gec U52 would be the best sounding options disregarding the unobtainable we274b’s. Cossor GZ37/53KU (GZ 33) worths a try which has an indirectly heated cathode.

Reactions: mourip and Kenc

Kenc

Jan 3, 2019
Toronto, Canada
Hi mtemur. What's in the rest of your system? I found RCA 5692's nice and smooth in my system. Not at all doubting your findings just curious about the context!

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
Hi mtemur. What's in the rest of your system? I found RCA 5692's nice and smooth in my system. Not at all doubting your findings just curious about the context!
Hi Kenc,
I used 5692 tubes on Sun Audio 2A3 amp. It was a diy amp and I tried lots of modifications (Duelund coupling and black gate electrolitic caps, lots of tubes). Unfortunately that was a long time ago and I no longer have any equipment to use 6SN7 tubes. Now I’m using Kondo electronics.
Kind regards...

Vangelis

Oct 11, 2011
Just installed the new Baltic 3 two back. Pretty darn good after just two days of run in. I expected a silver front with a black chassis and to my surprise I received a silver front with a silver chassis. Really I’m pretty thrilled, it looks great. it’s slightly more industrial looking in all silver, reminds of some gear I saw in 1950’s scifi classic, Forbidden Planet.

Vangelis

Oct 11, 2011
The photo

Attachments

• 3F1D00B8-1226-401C-8D0E-799559F33E64.jpeg
    3F1D00B8-1226-401C-8D0E-799559F33E64.jpeg
    690.2 KB · Views: 34

VoicesInMyHead

Apr 7, 2018
Sweden
It's nice to see Lampi's with silver chassis and how different they look. I'm a silver front guy myself as it matches the rest of my equipment, but my Lampi chassi is traditional black though. I'm glad you're enjoying your new DAC, the B3 is so much fun! :)

Meanwhile I've found a new personal favorite for my B3... the National Union 6F8G/VT-99 (adapter required) sounds amazing in my system and just the way I like. This spot was previously taken by Tung-Sol VT-99 which I hold higher than all the other 6SN7's I've tried, but the National Union is even more open, holographic, fun and lively in it's presentation. This is by far the best tube I've tried (so far I should say). The boxes have seen better days, I guess this is what happens with age, but the tubes looks and sounds great!

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
It's nice to see Lampi's with silver chassis and how different they look. I'm a silver front guy myself as it matches the rest of my equipment, but my Lampi chassi is traditional black though. I'm glad you're enjoying your new DAC, the B3 is so much fun! :)

Meanwhile I've found a new personal favorite for my B3... the National Union 6F8G/VT-99 (adapter required) sounds amazing in my system and just the way I like. This spot was previously taken by Tung-Sol VT-99 which I hold higher than all the other 6SN7's I've tried, but the National Union is even more open, holographic, fun and lively in it's presentation. This is by far the best tube I've tried (so far I should say). The boxes have seen better days, I guess this is what happens with age, but the tubes looks and sounds great!

Just got to love the look of tubes Especially when listening to music.

Reactions: VoicesInMyHead

Nikko

Feb 25, 2021
I just got my Baltic3 back from Poland after some issue with my mains supply damaged it. To make sure it never happens again, my dealer Greg convinced me to order a GigaWatt power conditioner. With this feeding power to the 5 devices that make the music, it's never sounded better. GigaWatt is highly recommended.

VoicesInMyHead

Apr 7, 2018
Sweden
I just got my Baltic3 back from Poland after some issue with my mains supply damaged it. To make sure it never happens again, my dealer Greg convinced me to order a GigaWatt power conditioner. With this feeding power to the 5 devices that make the music, it's never sounded better. GigaWatt is highly recommended.

That's the right decision. Clean and good power is one of the most important things in audio I would say. It's usually an essential upgrade to any system and should not be overlooked.

EDIT: In my signature I realized that I've divided components into sections lite, "main", "digital", "analog" for example, and I've put my power distributor in the "main" section together with speakers and amplifier. That's how important I consider it to be.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing