LampizatOr Baltic 3

Gjo

Aug 22, 2021
are you using XLR or RCA output? Try using RCA's if possible, it might help a bit...

if you have a volume control on your B3 you could always lower the volume a bit to get a better matching with your preamp?
25 foot balanced interconnects to balanced amplifiers, so single ended is not an option.

Yes, I have experimented with adjusting the Baltic 3 volume control in conjunction with the preamp volume control and continue to do so. Lukasz seems to prefer the Baltic 3 at full volume for best results, so I have done most of my listening this way.

Reactions: VoicesInMyHead

Gjo

Aug 22, 2021
My understanding is that most Lampi dacs run happily with any 5v rectifier, which was the case with the Brimar. Your 6x5 are however 6 volts so I would be rather careful about trying those.
The Baltic 3 manual states on p.14: "We use 6X5 (USA) or Soviet 6c5s (6u5C) type. They are very short bottles.."

I assume by 6X5 (USA) he is referring to the Tung Sol (or other USA 6X5 variants). Yes?

15dB attenuation on the DAC seems reasonable. I have done similar.

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Had an extensive rectifier rolling session with a friend this morning….the overall winner was also the cheapest - BRIMAR CV1863 KB/FE - an excellent allrounder with no notable deficiencies.

2nd place for me (and in the Baltic when the photo was taken) was the EML274b for its airy spaciousness, supposedly a mesh attribute.

View attachment 98626
Which tube is Heinz & Kaufman? Thanks

Colesey

Member Sponsor
Jan 13, 2011
The Baltic 3 manual states on p.14: "We use 6X5 (USA) or Soviet 6c5s (6u5C) type. They are very short bottles.."

I assume by 6X5 (USA) he is referring to the Tung Sol (or other USA 6X5 variants). Yes?

15dB attenuation on the DAC seems reasonable. I have done similar.
You’re one up on me as I haven’t read the manual, though the dac was supplied by the factory with a soviet 5v rectifier.

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Had an extensive rectifier rolling session with a friend this morning….the overall winner was also the cheapest - BRIMAR CV1863 KB/FE - an excellent allrounder with no notable deficiencies.

2nd place for me (and in the Baltic when the photo was taken) was the EML274b for its airy spaciousness, supposedly a mesh attribute.

View attachment 98626
These sorts of evaluations are extremely valuable and helpful! For me, I am definitely looking to find an inexpensive rectifier that challenges the high-priced offerings. I'm concerned that the Takatsuki may not have the life expectancy I'm hoping for based on one early failure personally and another by another forum member. If there was an alternative to a $1200 champagne rectifier that can do the job on a beer budget, I'm all for it! Goran loves his inexpensive RCA 5U4G. I love the USA Amperex 5u4G. Both are under $50. Here was have another candidate that might do a fine job for <$50! These are time consuming compares and deeply appreciated!

Sablon Audio

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
May 22, 2015
thanks for your kind words Marty. My listening buddy was ready to spend megabucks on a metal base Philips gz34 until he heard the Brimar. Three tubes in the shoot out elicited a ‘wow’, possibly on account of low expectations as much as achievements, however the Brimar which had been sitting in my stash unused for a decade before being auditioned today last gave the biggest ‘wow’.

Gjo

Aug 22, 2021

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Pity @Phonatix is not too much involved here as he’s the biggest “maniac” i know regarding rectifier tubes and has xyz pcs which he rolled in the TRP. He’s experience is just massive and i can easily say guiding light in terms of recties.

Sablon Audio

May 22, 2015
Pity @Phonatix is not too much involved here as he’s the biggest “maniac” i know regarding rectifier tubes and has xyz pcs which he rolled in the TRP. He’s experience is just massive and i can easily say guiding light in terms of recties.
I think one of the issues here is that there may be 30+ viable contenders to evaluate and few individuals have all the tubes / motivation to procure them. I have teamed up with a couple of well stocked owners locally to try maybe half the population but don’t have any incentive to spend time / money buying more trying the other half. Some of the latest Chinese options might be promising and I would like to try Elrog however the UK distro hasn’t replied to my request of a week ago.

Reactions: Miki70

Gjo

Aug 22, 2021
I think one of the issues here is that there may be 30+ viable contenders to evaluate and few individuals have all the tubes / motivation to procure them. I have teamed up with a couple of well stocked owners locally to try maybe half the population but don’t have any incentive to spend time / money buying more trying the other half.
I'm appreciative of any efforts to compare and report on tube options, rectifiers and otherwise.

I'm a believer in not letting perfection get in the way of great. Comparing 30+ rectifiers might be the perfect scenario, but there are quite a few great choices from the smaller sample size.

Phon@ix

Jul 27, 2019
ZRH
Hold my beer bro!….. Small selection of xyz:

Attachments

• BE13F76C-D3FD-41D7-BF5E-44F7C5934C3F.jpeg
    BE13F76C-D3FD-41D7-BF5E-44F7C5934C3F.jpeg
    813.5 KB · Views: 24
  • D3107015-02A6-4D92-885C-E91EE1F2A069.jpeg
    D3107015-02A6-4D92-885C-E91EE1F2A069.jpeg
    373.8 KB · Views: 24

Sablon Audio

May 22, 2015
I'm a believer in not letting perfection get in the way of great. Comparing 30+ rectifiers might be the perfect scenario, but there are quite a few great choices from the smaller sample size.

This is an eminently sensible approach for many however my situation is somewhat different. I’m probably the only person using a Taiko Extreme server on a Baltic and am keen to squeeze every last drop of performance from this over-performing little dac whilst still having some fun listening. Tbh I have spent more on tubes / fuses than the Baltic cost. Sounds crazy but the former will only rise in value / become scarcer and both can be reused on other equipment.

As I have a more transparent signal, every little tweak gets showcased more clearly yet gains continue to accrue. Equally, since my system is fairly neutral, I don’t have any need to colour it and favour resolution, whilst erring on the musical side. By way of example, we revisited the early production Philips pw / D foil e80cc yesterday - a megabucks grail tube - and they smothered the sound with cloying warmth. Conversely, the latest Taiko xdms alpha software gave a praiseworthy gain in resolution over Roon 2.0.

This is the present spec of the dac for anyone interested, with a cheap over-performing alternative in parentheses

- brimar 5z4gy or eml 274b rectifier (brimar)
- tungsram nickel plate / pw / d foil e80cc (regular 1960’s tungsram e80cc, comfortably beat Tfk’s finest)
- melz 1578 (none known, worth the price imo)
- QSA silver fuse (Padis)
- my top cables

fwiw I’ve had some duelund tin coupling caps sitting in my drawer for several months now but still don’t feel the need to fit them as the stock miflex don’t yet appear to be gating the performance potential.

VoicesInMyHead

Apr 7, 2018
Sweden
keen to squeeze every last drop of performance from this over-performing little dac whilst still having some fun listening.

As I've had my B3 for almost 2 years now I recently started to reflect about potential upgrades or where to possibly go next. For the record I have never owned a DAC this long before! After talking with some people, thinking and turning upside down on everything I came to the conclusion that I'm still incredibly happy with my B3 and I'm not going anywhere.... it's my all time favourite Lampi.

melz 1578 (none known, worth the price imo)

I might need to give the Melz another chance one day, but for now I'm happy with the 6F8G's.... I ordered the Brimar to see what it can bring over my current U52 though.

my top cables

definitely one of my best upgrades!

• Haha
Reactions: Sablon Audio

Phon@ix

Jul 27, 2019
ZRH
@Phonatix - which do you feel are the stand out options in your stash?
Imo it’s always a system match (components, speakers, output tubes, tuning stuff, etc.). There‘s not a best rectifier, there are just very good ones, good toobs and waste of money lamps.

Unfortunately most of my preferred ones aren’t available anymore because they where already rare when I bought it for me or for friends.

GZ480
Teleka 5z3 (unicorn)
Philips 5u4g (unicorn)
RT 5u4g (blue glass - unicorn)
KR anniversary 2018
Brivaron 5y4g (rare meanwhile)
Taka 274b (great toob but to expensive - found some other great lamps much cheaper)
5y4g / 80er coke and globe / 83V / CX380 / 280 / etc….

Tbh - I wouldn’t share my uber favorites because If they should ever pop up somewhere I‘ll buy some spare. When we detected the Tesla el51, Siemens f2a, etc… everyone wanted it and prices increased easily +150%. Imo it’s a part of the game to search and find rarities which sound outstanding.

But this will definitely help: Don’t miss to swap the fuse (sr Purple or AM ultimate premier) => big bang for less money than a Taka ;)

Last edited:

Sablon Audio

May 22, 2015
Thanks, I’ve made a mental note not to buy any of those ;)

btw if you like the Brivaron, then you will love the Westinghouse VU71. I can’t help but feel that losing the adapter helps the performance. Cheap too, @£35 just like the Brimar. My friend joked about buying up all the Brimar stock to corner the market before sharing online however we settled on taking a couple of spares each and letting others have an opportunity. It seems to be in plentiful supply anyhow.

Phon@ix

Jul 27, 2019
ZRH
Thanks, I’ve made a mental note not to buy any of those ;)

btw if you like the Brivaron, then you will love the Westinghouse VU71. I can’t help but feel that losing the adapter helps the performance. Cheap too, @£35 just like the Brimar. My friend joked about buying up all the Brimar stock to corner the market before sharing online however we settled on taking a couple of spares each and letting others have an opportunity. It seems to be in plentiful supply anyhow.
Haha… Same here.. I bought around 18 Brivarons for me and friends. I like it in my sys but it doesn’t work in two others which I know very well. Another guy likes it a lot in his. He took min. 8. That’s what I meant - not each rectifier works in every system…

Sablon Audio

May 22, 2015
Haha… Same here.. I bought around 18 Brivarons for me and friends. I like it in my sys but it doesn’t work in two others which I know very well. Another guy likes it a lot in his. He took min. 8. That’s what I meant - not each rectifier works in every system…
Sure but we are talking about lampi dacs, Baltic specifically on this thread, though my friend has a TRP, like, I think, yourself. It’s quite possible to discern the character of each valve and also form a view on the level of transparency / musicality / imaging etc. Separate the wheat from the chaff.

The Mullard gz37 was bottom of the pile in most respects, curiously followed by the KR 5u4G, which was objectively capable but disliked as it had a fatiguing hard / glassy edge to the presentation. Others in the middle were often quite pleasant but I feel there might be a danger of becoming satisfied too soon. Since we were talking specifically about Brivaron, my friend rated his highly until he heard eml274 / philips metal / westinghouse vu71 / Brimar and then realised what he was missing out on. I don’t for a moment imagine that there aren’t further better options still waiting to be discovered.

To an extent, I approached this comparison with a sense of trepidation over whether it would be easy to discern the differences but in reality they were quite easily heard. You can almost tell within a couple of seconds whether you find yourself leaning forward to listen or disengaging to chat.

Last edited:
Reactions: adamaley

Miki70

Aug 17, 2018
Mérida, Yucatán. México
Greetings Everyone,

Baltic 3 engine eleven arrived yesterday !
Second day and Mr Elton sounds fantastic --so far

Now reading closely to so many choices of tube rolling,
Thank you Mark Coles, been reading and im on your steps with Westinghouse vu71, Brimar or eml274, specially price wise / performance.
I was also suggested for the EML rectifier, Ken Rad black glass nos 6sn7s and nos 12bh7a
and 1953 Soviet Military NOS MELZ 6H8C Metalbase inputs and the current Russian Mullard 12AU7/ECC82 outputs as well.

Is there a type of tubes for certain kind of music that suits better to each genre in your different experiences ?
I listen all type of music but Rock / Pop 70s, 80s and a few 90s and beyond, it is what i mostly enjoy and demand to sound their best.

Thanks Guys !
Miguel

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing