LampizatOr Baltic 3

VoicesInMyHead

Apr 7, 2018
Sweden
Hello Everyone,

Is anyone in this forum using boutique footers on the Baltic 3 ?

Just wondering if it makes any sound improvement on it

Thank you !

I wrote few pages back (but worth repeating) that I'm using the Graphite Audio IC-35 footers, this is another brand from Poland and LampizatOr are actually offering them as extra option for some of the DAC's on the website.

I think these are good value for the money, they feel a bit light weight compared to other footers I've tried before, but I kind of like them. I think they had a positive effect on noise levels and clarity.

Blue58

Jan 20, 2013
London, UK
I wrote few pages back (but worth repeating) that I'm using the Graphite Audio IC-35 footers, this is another brand from Poland and LampizatOr are actually offering them as extra option for some of the DAC's on the website.

I think these are good value for the money, they feel a bit light weight compared to other footers I've tried before, but I kind of like them. I think they had a positive effect on noise levels and clarity.
They look remarkably like the old RDC cones, still available.
https://www.analogueseduction.net/isolation/clearlight-audio-rdc-2-equipment-cones-pack-of-4-.html

Reactions: Miki70

Miki70

Aug 17, 2018
Mérida, Yucatán. México
I currently use the stock footers although I use Gaia footers on my speakers and amp. With tube equipment I do believe in good isolation however when I bought the B3 I also bought a number of FTA cables so my wallet had pretty much hemorrhaged!

I have spent most of my time tube rolling since then. Tubes will make a very big difference. The tubes that come with it are OK but there are better ones out there. Read though the thread for tips on that.
Thanks Man, I really appreciate your response, Im brand new on this forum and soon to be part of this Baltic 3 group, and yes i have been reading quite all the possibilities of tube rolling, pretty interesting and most important getting to know and trying to be a little bit more educated about this tube rolling nirvana cause this will be my first journey to tubes, Im 52 and have been an audio enthusiast since i was 10 and saw my first Pioneer audio equipment back in the 79-80s

Again, thanks a lot and warm regards
Miguel

Miki70

Aug 17, 2018
Mérida, Yucatán. México
Those are the one that actually called my attention:

I currently use the stock footers although I use Gaia footers on my speakers and amp. With tube equipment I do believe in good isolation however when I bought the B3 I also bought a number of FTA cables so my wallet had pretty much hemorrhaged!

I have spent most of my time tube rolling since then. Tubes will make a very big difference. The tubes that come with it are OK but there are better ones out there. Read though the thread for tips on that.
I also use GAIA footers under my PMCs

Blue58

Jan 20, 2013
London, UK

Gjo

Aug 22, 2021
What tube(s) have you all installed in your Baltic 3 that emphasize lower midrange and bass versus the stock tubes?

EDIT: Additional question...would it be possible for someone who uses a 6F8G + Woo Adapter to report the height measurement of these two from the top of the Baltic 3 cover?

Last edited:

VoicesInMyHead

Apr 7, 2018
Sweden
would it be possible for someone who uses a 6F8G + Woo Adapter to report the height measurement of these two from the top of the Baltic 3 cover?

it measures about 14 cm (I don't know what it is in arms and legs etc), but remember you need some space to actually insert/remove the tubes and also for the heat and air ventilation. I wouldn't go with less than 16 cm free height as an absolute minimum.

Reactions: Gjo

Gjo

Aug 22, 2021
it measures about 14 cm (I don't know what it is in arms and legs etc), but remember you need some space to actually insert/remove the tubes and also for the heat and air ventilation. I wouldn't go with less than 16 cm free height as an absolute minimum.
Thank you. That's helpful. I don't have enough clearance for sufficient heat dissipation.

@VoicesInMyHead, what are your one or two favorite 6SN7 in the Baltic 3?

Last edited:

VoicesInMyHead

Apr 7, 2018
Sweden
@VoicesInMyHead, what are your one or two favorite 6SN7 in the Baltic 3?

Uhm, I have been using 6F8G's for so long that I don't remember, but I had a pair of Sylvania's metal base from the 1940's that was quite nice. A lot of people swear by the Melz, just make sure to get the "right model" as there seems to be some variations there and they're not all the same.

Gjo

Aug 22, 2021
Uhm, I have been using 6F8G's for so long that I don't remember, but I had a pair of Sylvania's metal base from the 1940's that was quite nice. A lot of people swear by the Melz, just make sure to get the "right model" as there seems to be some variations there and they're not all the same.
Thanks.

I owned five-hole Melz 1578. The Real Deal. Sold them earlier this year when I didn't think I'd own another component that uses 6SN7. Lesson learned.

Maybe others will chime in with favorite 6SN7 tubes.

3943157-d604cfa1-melz-1578-6sn7-pair-test-nos-sublime.jpg

Last edited:

Kenc

Jan 3, 2019
Toronto, Canada
I am enjoying the MELZ 6H8C from my old stash. Not sure of the difference between these and the 1578 but I like their clear robust sound.
Using Mullard ECC82's at the back and an EML 274b rectifier.

Reactions: Gjo and Miki70

Gjo

Aug 22, 2021
I am enjoying the MELZ 6H8C from my old stash. Not sure of the difference between these and the 1578 but I like their clear robust sound.
Using Mullard ECC82's at the back and an EML 274b rectifier.
Boy, I wish I hadn’t sold the Melz 1578…

I’m a big fan of Mullard small signal tubes, and I had a pair of c.1958 Mullard Blackburn ECC82 installed. I swapped them a few days ago for Amperex Bugle Boy 12AU7 and to my surprise I prefer the Amperex. More clarity without adding any sterility.

I cannot seem to source EML 274B. Where can one find them?

Kenc

Jan 3, 2019
Toronto, Canada
Boy, I wish I hadn’t sold the Melz 1578…

I’m a big fan of Mullard small signal tubes, and I had a pair of c.1958 Mullard Blackburn ECC82 installed. I swapped them a few days ago for Amperex Bugle Boy 12AU7 and to my surprise I prefer the Amperex. More clarity without adding any sterility.

I cannot seem to source EML 274B. Where can one find them?
Not sure what part of the world you're at but this may help. http://www.emissionlabs.com/html/order/ordering-info.html
I bought mine previously enjoyed :cool:

Sablon Audio

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
May 22, 2015
Had an extensive rectifier rolling session with a friend this morning….the overall winner was also the cheapest - BRIMAR CV1863 KB/FE - an excellent allrounder with no notable deficiencies.

2nd place for me (and in the Baltic when the photo was taken) was the EML274b for its airy spaciousness, supposedly a mesh attribute.

9F746B87-CD68-4B7B-809A-D365BA2419EF.jpeg

Last edited:

Gjo

Aug 22, 2021
Had an extensive rectifier rolling session with a friend this morning….the overall winner was also the cheapest - BRIMAR CV1863 KB/FE - an excellent allrounder with no notable deficiencies.

2nd place for me (and in the Baltic when the photo was taken) was the EML274b for its airy spaciousness, supposedly a mesh attribute.

View attachment 98626
Interesting re: Brimar CV1863. What qualities placed it above the EML 274B?

Colesey

Member Sponsor
Jan 13, 2011
Fundamentally what I wrote above about it being more of an all rounder - has more body and punch / presence than the EML, which tends to major in airy spaciousness, which isn’t necessarily everyone’s preference. A bit more head than heart.

btw @Gjo - if you like the amperex 12au7 then you should check out the e80cc ‘super tube’ substitute. You can read more about a variety of them in Baltic in some of my earlier posts on this thread.

Gjo

Aug 22, 2021
Fundamentally what I wrote above about it being more of an all rounder - has more body and punch / presence than the EML, which tends to major in airy spaciousness, which isn’t necessarily everyone’s preference. A bit more head than heart.

btw @Gjo - if you like the amperex 12au7 then you should check out the e80cc ‘super tube’ substitute. You can read more about a variety of them in Baltic in some of my earlier posts on this thread.
Looking at the CV1863 data (scroll to bottom of link), it seems to be a drop-in replacement for acceptable rectifiers...although it is not mentioned in the Baltic 3 manual (nor its equivalent models). You've verified this, yes? Not poking you. Just want to be certain before trying one.

In my system, according to my preferences, I do like body & punch and would probably prefer that over more air and spaciousness at the expense of body and punch.

Have you tried Tung Sol 6X5? I think I may install one as I have several in my drawer.

RE: e80cc, I notice it has higher gain than a 12au7. As it is, the Baltic 3's high 10 dB gain limits my useful preamp volume range (I cannot turn the knob much higher than 11 o'clock). I realize this is all relative depending on one's preamp and amplifier(s). My amps require only 1.5v for full volume.

Connecting the Baltic 3 direct (mine has volume control) does not sound as good as through the preamp, due I believe to impedance mismatch. My amps have a stunningly low input impedance of 2.4 kOhms. Putting the preamp in the chain solves the problem.

Last edited:
Reactions: christoph

VoicesInMyHead

Apr 7, 2018
Sweden
RE: e80cc, I notice it has higher gain than a 12au7. As it is, the Baltic 3's high 10 dB gain limits my useful preamp volume range (I cannot turn the knob much higher than 11 o'clock). I realize this is all relative depending on one's preamp and amplifier(s). My amps require only 1.5v for full volume.

are you using XLR or RCA output? Try using RCA's if possible, it might help a bit...

Connecting the Baltic 3 direct (mine has volume control) does not sound as good as through the preamp, due I believe to impedance mismatch. My amps have a stunningly low input impedance of 2.4 kOhms. Putting the preamp in the chain solves the problem.

if you have a volume control on your B3 you could always lower the volume a bit to get a better matching with your preamp?

Sablon Audio

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
May 22, 2015
My understanding is that most Lampi dacs run happily with any 5v rectifier, which was the case with the Brimar. Your 6x5 are however 6 volts so I would be rather careful about trying those.

Point about gain is understood and I typically run with 15db of attenuation on the dac. I’m using rca however xlr overdrove my amp.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing