Lamm owners- still in love with your amps/preamps?

ozy

Nov 13, 2012
Atlanta ,Ga.
Thank you for all the replies... Great input form everyone.
I'm looking for something different for my TAD ref1s, besides the burmester 909s... In addition , not instead.
Which lam amp/pre would suit the best?the m2.2 hybrid, or the ml3?

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
I'm looking for something different for my TAD ref1s, besides the burmester 909s... In addition , not instead.

M1.2 and any of the preamps depending on your budget. Not sure about the ML3, on paper is acceptable but really have to try it to know.

david

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
LL1.1 will be introduced.
david

David,
You should persuade Vladimir Lamm to introduce a remote in his preamplifiers!

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY

Hi ozy,

Based on my past history with the CR-1's, I am sure Lamm will be an EXCELLENT pairing with your TAD Ref ones. For me and my taste, it could have been an end game. I am sorry now that I never got to live with that combo.

strapper211

Aug 6, 2013
Hi Davey F,
The difference between the Lamm and CAT products is depending on what Lamm line you choose.The Lamm M2.2 is a very beefy amp,but I prefer the CAT by a small margin.On the Lamm M1.2 I prefer the Lamm over the CAT,not quite as beefy but a tremendous sonic presentation.It will drive very tough loads but the CAT seems to have tremendous reserves.For speakers with decent sensitivity(91 0r above) and impedence curves the ML series are in a league of their own,nothing can touch Lamm single-ended designs.So pure!

Robert

strapper211

Aug 6, 2013
Hi Ozy,

The Tad is a fine speaker and if the sensitivity is in the low 90s and it does not have a crazy dip in the impedence the ML3's and Tad would get along great.They really deserve a pure single ended design.

Robert

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
David,
You should persuade Vladimir Lamm to introduce a remote in his preamplifiers!

Reality is that he hasn't found any remote controlled attenuators sonically the equal of passive ones he's using. I have four that remote isn't a necessity for most people, if really needed one can always locate the preamp by the listening chair or add a pair of remote controlled attenuators in line between the preamp and amps.

david

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
that's a little hyperbole don't you think? do you really think no other gear is in its league?

Actually, I think I'm serious. If I want high-power tube I would always turn to VTL. I would use a hybrid amp over high-power VTLs or low power Lamms only for a special application, such as driving woofers in an active bi-amping configuration.

But for low-power applications, based on how Lamm can tame the metal dome tweeter in big Wilsons, I really would not need to look anywhere else. (Yes, I think the Lamm all-tube amps are that good.)

ozy

Nov 13, 2012
Atlanta ,Ga.
Oh, how do the lamm's components compare to the balanced audio gear, especially the recent rex2amps and preamps?

ALF

Mar 15, 2012
Southwest
Lammies, I like it...dealer disclosure.

If anyone is looking for a great used pair of the ML3s at a good price, please let me know.

Cheers!

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
Is this 12 yr old model viable going forward in stasis?

Short answer: yes; long answer here.

The way we hear hasn't changed.

In course of my recent 'due diligence' as to a replacement for my Power amplifier, the Lamm M1.2 having made my short list, I revisited that article Several times, in particular to the paragraph where the author pens his considerations of the Lamm M1.2's in comparison to ARC's Ref250's. A most interesting read in which the author concludes " In summary, each of these amplifiers has its own strong sonic appeal, and I’d love to own them both"

After much deliberation, synergy with my incumbant ARC Ref10 pre and a fully ballanced signal path won out in the end (but only just) in my choice of the revised ARC Ref250 SE, however! a long term plan has been formulated that with luck, should see me emulating Mr Aucremann's wish.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Oh, how do the lamm's components compare to the balanced audio gear, especially the recent rex2amps and preamps?

Uses the same tube 318B tube, although different implementation. Victor designs gear to be fully balanced push-pull, while Vladimir usually has taken a single-ended approach.

I've owned lots of BAT gear, just not their Rex and beyond. I've always wanted to try ML2.1s from Lamm, but just haven't been able to pull the trigger as I fear they might be dark with my speakers. I find, as Ron said, Wilson/Lamm to be an exceptional match - and I ran all BAT on my Wilsons back in the day and can vouch for that pairing as well. I have not heard the newer Wilsons with soft dome tweeters on either.

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
I own a pair of Lamm M1.2 power amps. I love them even more after hooking them up to drive a pair of Quad 57 electrostatic speakers.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
The reality is Vlad will never have a remote as he feels it has a negative effect on the sound
You can have a mechanical remote that has no impact on the signal path. a la Allnic et al.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
I bought the M 1.1 as the best sounding amp I know to be able to drive the infamous Apogee Scintilla (linear 1 ohm impedance over the whole frequency range!) and the M 1.1 drives the amp murdering Scinnies with ease while sounding excellent.

Has anyone directly compared the M 1.1 with the M 1.2? I heard or read somewhere that the M 1.1 has better parts and sounds better than the M 1.2. Is that true or rumour?

On my very easy to drive Apogee Studio Grand (linear 6 ohm impedance, about 87dB per watt in 3 meters, dipole!) I prefer my KR Audio amps. KR Audio Kronzilla SX with 50 SET watts and VA350 with 30 SET watts per channel.

I have to admit that I have never heard Lamms SET amps, though.
Has anyone here compared the SET Lamms with KR Audio SET?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing