Lamm ML3 + LL1, at last!

Legolas

VIP/Donor
Dec 27, 2015
France
The natural companion of the Lamm ML3 arrived today, I could not resist listening before straightening and ranging everything, even is such poor conditions - yes, I know thick undercarpet and wheeled platforms are not Vladimir Lamm vision of audio racks. :) All I can say for now is transients, palpable, space and 3D. BTW, it measures perfectly!

Micro, when you upload a photo you can select Thumbnail, or Full Size. I would recommend full size. You still get the gallery feature if more than one image. It looks best like this

a1.jpg

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
The Lamm's are really special. Today a good friend who follows my changes came to listen and was particularly impressed that they do not sound "like tubes". Very quiet, extremely detailed, but no softening of sibilance or crescendos - Jeff Buckley and Tracy Chapman, not my classical voices! We listened to Shostakovitch 6th and the richness and dynamics of the orchestra were fabulous. Pianos have a very enjoyable feeling of being in the room - I am re-listening to a lot of Keith Jarrett.

The system is still tweakless and source was the DCS Vivaldi stack, that surprisingly seems more adequate for the Lamm's than the Metronome C8+ or the Kondo DSL - more energy, more detail and better music flow.

BTW, considering some people seem to be worried about my wheeled platforms, I will expose my usual cheap trick - when listening with equipment on them I bypass some of the rubber wheels with the shown low-tech device. And yes, there is an hidden tweak - I can tune it picking the proper coin, this time a common aluminium bronze coin from the 40's. :) a1.jpg

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I think those Lamms are fantastic!

Have you been able to compare them directly to the Siegfried IIs?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I think those Lamms are fantastic!

Have you been able to compare them directly to the Siegfried IIs?

I am waiting for the arrival of a VTL 7.5 mk3 to carry direct comparisons. The Lamm's clearly sound very different from the ARC REF40 + Siegfried II, but I have not listened to Siegfried II's / XLF time enough to post on it. Besides the cables were also very different.

One nice think is that the Lamm's objectively (measuremenst) have power enough for the XLFs. I will be only able to refer to subjective power when I listen to the Siegfried II's at the same power levels.

BTW, when we get the Siegfried's we get 8 amps - 2 modes and 4 levels of feedback. Curiously the damping of the tetrode mode in low feedback is the same of that of the Lamm ML3, no feedback, 4 ohms.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Thank you, microstrip!

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I am waiting for the arrival of a VTL 7.5 mk3 to carry direct comparisons. The Lamm's clearly sound very different from the ARC REF40 + Siegfried II, but I have not listened to Siegfried II's / XLF time enough to post on it. Besides the cables were also very different.

One nice think is that the Lamm's objectively (measuremenst) have power enough for the XLFs. I will be only able to refer to subjective power when I listen to the Siegfried II's at the same power levels.

BTW, when we get the Siegfried's we get 8 amps - 2 modes and 4 levels of feedback. Curiously the damping of the tetrode mode in low feedback is the same of that of the Lamm ML3, no feedback, 4 ohms.
Makes you wonder why 97db Evolution Acoustics speakers were running out of gas with this amp...aren’t XLFs “only” 92db??

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Agreed. Every SET I have tried sounded better on the 8 ohm tap. Much fewer windings perhaps...

No, the 4 ohms has fewer turns ...

There is no universal rule on this subject - it depends mainly on amplifier impedance and also on the transformer implementation. But probably the speakers that are more often used with SETs have high impedance and naturally sound better with the 8 ohm tap.

The damping factor at 8 ohm is lower than at 4 ohms, but voltage is higher. One common mistake when comparing the 4 versus 8 ohm tap is keeping the level control in the same position - the 8 ohm easily wins because it is 3 dB louder.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland

No, the 4 ohms has fewer turns ...

There is no universal rule on this subject - it depends mainly on amplifier impedance and also on the transformer implementation. But probably the speakers that are more often used with SETs have high impedance and naturally sound better with the 8 ohm tap.

The damping factor at 8 ohm is lower than at 4 ohms, but voltage is higher. One common mistake when comparing the 4 versus 8 ohm tap is keeping the level control in the same position - the 8 ohm easily wins because it is 3 dB louder.
Sorry, you are incorrect. 4 ohm tap achieves a lower impedance by having more turns, which gives a larger step down between primary and secondary. You get a larger ratio with more turns, hence a lower impedance. Thus it is labeled 4 ohm tap. More turns=more wire.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
......One nice think is that the Lamm's objectively (measuremenst) have power enough for the XLFs. I will be only able to refer to subjective power when I listen to the Siegfried II's at the same power levels.......

i'm looking forward to this feedback relative to my experience with the ML3's on my MM7's......relative to other amplifiers. no need to rehash all those thoughts.....but i am curious.

the concept of 'enough' power by itself as opposed to relatively. not that it's so simple a thing to subjectively define.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Makes you wonder why 97db Evolution Acoustics speakers were running out of gas with this amp...

That don't even have to play fullrange because of the powered subwoofer towers... ;) :rolleyes:

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
That don't even have to play fullrange because of the powered subwoofer towers... ;):rolleyes:
Of course an amp can turn to mush sonically before it actually clips. Many amps are inadequate in the power supply and output transformers (not a SS issue)...not that I would expect the Lamm to fall into either category...

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Makes you wonder why 97db Evolution Acoustics speakers were running out of gas with this amp...aren’t XLFs “only” 92db??

expectations for what an amp can and should be able to do vary from person to person. 'Warp 9' is not a place everyone desires. we will see if Micro's 'gas' expectations get fully fulfilled by the ML3's relative to his Seigried II's.

more variables are room size and musical choices, which can be factors.

Reactions: DaveyF

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing