Lamm LL1 Signature - how good?

joey_v

Nov 30, 2015
Hello,
I ran across a used LL1 Signature, appears to be in good condition. I see that these units can be found for sale in the used market but typically once every few months or so.
I have the Audio Research Reference 40th, which I enjoy very much.
I was initially thinking that I would spend my money towards upgrading to a Ref10 linestage and maybe a Ref10 phono as well.... but then I ran into this LL1.
Reading reviews and threads, I've noticed that once people buy these Lamms, they rarely sell it.
I know Peter and Steve have those two here.

My speakers are Magico Mini II and I enjoy it on my current system.

Amp is a Boulder.

Has anyone compared the LL1 to an ARC unit? What's the difference?

strapper211

Aug 6, 2013
Hi,
I am a Lamm dealer but I have had all the best over 40 years.
The Lamm is in the top 3-5 you can buy.
The Audio research is a little further down the line.
Vladimir is a HOF designer.
Go for the Lamm you will not regret it.

Regards Robert

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
If you get the Lamm preamp, know that you will be getting Lamm amplifiers down the line. Budget accordingly for those amps.

Reactions: PeterA

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hello,
I ran across a used LL1 Signature, appears to be in good condition. I see that these units can be found for sale in the used market but typically once every few months or so.
I have the Audio Research Reference 40th, which I enjoy very much.
I was initially thinking that I would spend my money towards upgrading to a Ref10 linestage and maybe a Ref10 phono as well.... but then I ran into this LL1.
Reading reviews and threads, I've noticed that once people buy these Lamms, they rarely sell it.
I know Peter and Steve have those two here.

My speakers are Magico Mini II and I enjoy it on my current system.

Amp is a Boulder.

Has anyone compared the LL1 to an ARC unit? What's the difference?

These both have a very different sound and I doubt those who have compared them would have done so with an amp like the Boulder. So opinions are not going to help. Given that it is at a good used price best to buy it if you can afford it, then sell one of the preamps. You have nothing to lose except liquidity till you sell it off.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Reactions: PeterA

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I have a friend who upon hearing my system bought the same Micro Seiki turntable and has been searching for Lamm electronics ever since. The LL1 Signature preamp is excellent and works really well with both the ML2 SET and the M1.1 SS, each of which I tried with different speakers.

I used to own the Magico Mini II. It is an excellent speaker. I then got the Q3 which I preferred on large scale music, but still miss that Mini II. The Lamm phono, LL1 and M1.1 sounded superb with the Magico. Presuming the ML3 is slightly more powerful than my ML2, it will not have enough power to drive the Mini II successfully. I tried the ML2 on the Q3 and heard some magic, but it simply could not drive them properly. The Lamm M1.1 is a superb SS amplifier that can drive most speakers with 100 class A watts.

joey_v

Nov 30, 2015
Yeah it’s tough because the rarer the item is, the less we know from reports. I like the aural density of the ref 40. I just wonder if the LL1 will extend that further.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
As people are saying, it depends on the power amplifier. I currently own both, and both are great sounding. The REF40 has a larger soundstage and is more enveloping, the LL1 puts more light on the stage. It depends on your preference and also on the type of music you listen.

As far as I see the Boulder amplifers have 100 kohm impedance and are a good electrical match with both preamplfiers. But I will not sell the LL1 without the ML3! ;)

Reactions: christoph

joey_v

Nov 30, 2015
Microstrip
Can you explain a bit further and more detail? I like dense imaging and vocalists dead center with good weight and sculpture like in realism. Also, I need good back to front layering.

is that what you get going from 40 to Lamm LL1?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Microstrip
Can you explain a bit further and more detail? I like dense imaging and vocalists dead center with good weight and sculpture like in realism. Also, I need good back to front layering.

is that what you get going from 40 to Lamm LL1?

Both preamps have good weight and dense imaging. However for "sculpture like and realism" IMHO the ARC REF40 is the winner, particularly with large and complex music, or rock and pop.

Reactions: cjfrbw and bazelio

joey_v

Nov 30, 2015
Thx Micro
Different question
How does the ar ref 10 compare to the ref 40?

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Both preamps have good weight and dense imaging. However for "sculpture like and realism" IMHO the ARC REF40 is the winner, particularly with large and complex music, or rock and pop.

Fransisco, to make such a conclusion, did you compare the two preamps in exactly the same system, or was this general characteristic consistent across a variety of configurations?

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
FWIW IMO the only way to pair a LAMM preamp is with a LAMM amp. That’s when the magic happens

Reactions: microstrip

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Steve, I’ve seen you post that perspective many times: curious whether you ever tried another brand preamp with your ML3’s in your system?
When I first got my ML 2.1 I was using an Audio Research preamp. No magic there. Switched to Lamm preamp and will never use another preamp with my ML3. The LL1, ML3 and LP1 are all part of his Signature series. I've said many times here that these will be buried with me as I have no desires to try anything else.

Reactions: Mike Lavigne

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
FWIW IMO the only way to pair a LAMM preamp is with a LAMM amp. That’s when the magic happens
I agree with you. However please note that the OP tells us he owns Magico Mini II with Boulder. Why coming here with funeral histories about LL1.1 / ML3? ;)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing