La Donna Mobile (as well as the audiophile)

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Francisco,
congrats for your system in progress.
Just to correct the title which is: La Donna è mobile.
sung by the Duke of Mantua in Verdi's opera, "Rigoletto. :)

Thanks - I know of it, unfortunately when I introduced the è with the accent in the thread tittle the è was simply removed!
Perhaps a moderator can correct it, I have no access to the tittle anymore.

One of my often used test tracks is the Bella Figlia dell'Amore, sang by Placido Domingo, Ileana Cotrubas and others. Extremely demanding in order to get the four singers properly delineated with the correct presence and timbre.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Micro , how would you describe the lamm hybrids compared to the dart 108 soundwise , some say the lamm is more neutral.
I ll leave the wattage out of the equasion since its not a issue for me

The DartZeel NHB108 sounded sweet, detailed and gorgeous in the SoundLab's - strings had a lovely tone - however it could not be used with them. The SoundLab's have a very strange and demanding impedance and they would easily trigger the worst protection system in the world - a general fuse almost inaccessible inside the amplifier. :mad: After half a dozen of fuses I gave-up and went on using them mainly with the Krell LAT1000's - a great match.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I do not think is right choise.
I had Lamm 1.2 and Dart 108 clipping on my system with Avalon Eidolon.

As far as I remember the Avalon Eidolon's are very demanding - low efficient and tricky phase angles in the impedance, as well as their characteristic forward dispersion. They needed the Premier 8 to sound decent - all other cj amplfiers would clip.

Besides you have a large space to drive. Great speakers, but they need power.

BMCG

VIP/Donor
Oct 1, 2016
United Kingdom
As far as I remember the Avalon Eidolon's are very demanding - low efficient and tricky phase angles in the impedance, as well as their characteristic forward dispersion. They needed the Premier 8 to sound decent - all other cj amplfiers would clip.

Besides you have a large space to drive. Great speakers, but they need power.

Spot on...thought about the 108s with the Indra's ...and could not see how they could match up....458s yes...but then we're into a whole greater upgrade process.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Only if you accept the overall loss of scale and dynamics due to bass. I heard them several times in the same room -30 feet long - as mine. The difference in scale is enormous. IMHO the Alexx is a big Alexia II - the XLF plays is another league. If the replacement of the XLF is too expensive I will consider going back to the XLF without regrets.

The happy person who got mine could have bought the Alexx much cheaper than the XLF's and did not hesitate.

I have yet to hear the Alexx, but in all of the prior generations of Wilsons from XLF backwards, I have valued the big Xs above their smaller bretheren...a personal preference...due in large part to the big X's greater scale/effortlessness/bass.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I have yet to hear the Alexx, but in all of the prior generations of Wilsons from XLF backwards, I have valued the big Xs above their smaller bretheren...a personal preference...due in large part to the big X's greater scale/effortlessness/bass.

It surely depends on preference - but IMHO listened without subs the Allex missed the capability of producing the life like spatial perspective and size of, for example, a grand piano that I had found in the XLF. In my listening in the same room, the Alex had to be played louder than the XLF for equivalent feeling of being there and power.

Soundlab's also recreate this large size of big instruments, but much more diffuse, more colored and less life like. :( But enjoyable, natural and delightful.

I should add the DCS Vivaldi added this perception - its grandeur and feeling of power, individual and collective of the musicians and instruments in classical music aided me separating the speakers. Unfortunately our distributor does not have the Thors's in demo ...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing