KUZMA Stabi R , Silver or Wood?

iaxel

Oct 25, 2016
Any additional thoughts, experiences with the Stabi-R?
How does it compare to the Stabi-M (apart from the fact the M supports only 1-arm, which is very limiting IMO).

Can it handle the likes of TW Raven (AC) and Techdas AFV-P?

I really like its small footprint and simple exterior design, as well as the fact that it allows up to 4 arms. BTW, any advantages of wood vs non-wood, or the side-armboard vs winged-armboard?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
How does it compare to the Stabi-M (apart from the fact the M supports only 1-arm, which is very limiting IMO).

I really like its small footprint and simple exterior design, as well as the fact that it allows up to 4 arms. BTW, any advantages of wood vs non-wood, or the side-armboard vs winged-armboard?

you are thinking of getting one more additional to CS port?

Reactions: iaxel

iaxel

Oct 25, 2016

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
I have stabi R side wing and had Stabi R wood, both aside AFVP.

To make it short, AFVP is better than Stabi R, more information. More Music.

But Stabi R is really good and not too far away.

I preferred Stabi R wood, more nuonce, better bass than standard Stabi R, may be because if weight, maybe because of wood resonance control.

Kuzma Safir arm was demoed in Munich with StabiR, which showed me the potential of Stabi R.

should try the 4point 9“, might be the best match

Reactions: djsina2 and iaxel

iaxel

Oct 25, 2016
I have stabi R side wing and had Stabi R wood, both aside AFVP.

To make it short, AFVP is better than Stabi R, more information. More Music.

But Stabi R is really good and not too far away.

I preferred Stabi R wood, more nuonce, better bass than standard Stabi R, may be because if weight, maybe because of wood resonance control.

Kuzma Safir arm was demoed in Munich with StabiR, which showed me the potential of Stabi R.

should try the 4point 9“, might be the best match
Very interesting, thanks Shakti.
Stabi R is significantly less money than the AFVP.

SOS

Jun 20, 2015
www.soundsofsilence.com
Stabi R winged or wooden version sounds the same to these ears. We have bought 2 wooden Satbi R's and 3 "winged" Stabi R's for our customers and either used with 4Point or 4Point9 arms. All sounded fantastic and best was with a MSL Sig Gold on one unit.

Dealer disclaimer)

gabweb

Oct 28, 2017

The wood will only fit 1 arm as far as I understand…

iaxel

Oct 25, 2016
The wood will only fit 1 arm as far as I understand…
I know, but how do you explain this:
1665392113587.jpeg

Maybe some adjustments can be made to support more arms with the wooden frame.

gabweb

Oct 28, 2017
You’re right
Forget the arm holder is connected on top of the table
and not besides as the balcony

Jackl3y

Sep 9, 2022
I’d be curious to know how the Stabi R/S compares against DD Technics in terms of sound. My technics does nothing wrong but but boy a Stabi S looks mighty fine.

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
I’d be curious to know how the Stabi R/S compares against DD Technics in terms of sound. My technics does nothing wrong but but boy a Stabi S looks mighty fine.
Very different. The way I characterize the Technics DD sound is very fast. Very fast start/stop transients. The Stabi R having more of a continuous flow.

Reactions: shakti and Jackl3y

Jackl3y

Sep 9, 2022
Very different. The way I characterize the Technics DD sound is very fast. Very fast start/stop transients. The Stabi R having more of a continuous flow.
Interesting thank you. One thing I liked about the Technics is the sense of drive, propulsion if you will. I have no way to hear one so if I jump I’m jumping blind.

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
I have the Stabi M. While I like the R, I think the M is better. In fact, to me, the M is the sweet spot and my favorite table from Kuzma. It walks the line of flow and drive incredibly well. It has more detail than idlers yet has a drive that is similar, and then you get the all desirable traits of a belt drive at the same time. If only the M offered multiple arm mounts like the R, then I wouldn't have the idea of a new turntable in the back of my mind.

iaxel

Oct 25, 2016
If only the M offered multiple arm mounts like the R, then I wouldn't have the idea of a new turntable in the back of my mind.
That’s its caveat. Otherwise I would have gone for the M.

SOS

Jun 20, 2015
www.soundsofsilence.com
I was ordering the Stabi M for myself but the importer told me why would I want the M when I use a Vibraplane for isolation? The M & R use the same motor and belt system it's just the M has a better isolation system. Getting the R and any isolation system that isolates in BOTH the horizontal & vertical planes down to at least 2 - 2.5 cycles should be superior to an M (and cost less!) :)

Reactions: wbass

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
I was ordering the Stabi M for myself but the importer told me why would I want the M when I use a Vibraplane for isolation? The M & R use the same motor and belt system it's just the M has a better isolation system. Getting the R and any isolation system that isolates in BOTH the horizontal & vertical planes down to at least 2 - 2.5 cycles should be superior to an M (and cost less!) :)
You've got differences in platter mass and overall plinth mass, both of which effect the sound. And unfortunately, despite what might be theoretically sensible, the M is still reactive to it's base. That's is, I can hear a difference in sound when I have it directly on my shelf vs on some other kind of base. I'm also doubtful that a Vibraplane is the path to best results. Ymmv

SOS

Jun 20, 2015
www.soundsofsilence.com
bazelio you are right there are some differences and as I stated I ordered a Stabi M until the distributor asked why? A Stabi R costs just over 10K where a Stabi M retails at just over 24K. You can buy the Stabi R with 2 wings and 2 tonearms and still be thousands less than a Stabi M without an arm then buy something like a Minus K or Vibraplane and a MSL cartrisge and come out with a wonderful TT "system". At least that's the way I looked at it.

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
bazelio you are right there are some differences and as I stated I ordered a Stabi M until the distributor asked why? A Stabi R costs just over 10K where a Stabi M retails at just over 24K. You can buy the Stabi R with 2 wings and 2 tonearms and still be thousands less than a Stabi M without an arm then buy something like a Minus K or Vibraplane and a MSL cartrisge and come out with a wonderful TT "system". At least that's the way I looked at it.

Oh to be clear, I wasn't casting aspersion on your choice. I was simply pointing out that integrated suspension isn't the one and only differentiating factor between the M and the R. The sub chassis and motor isolation design is unique to the M, plus plinth and platter mass, the motor itself, etc. The fact is that despite having integrated suspension, the M isn't actually not highly damp and is still reactive to different types of bases.

The R is certainly a good table. I've heard it and enjoyed it. And it offers the ability to mount multiple arms which is an option I really do wish the M had as well. But that's not the case and I begrudgingly live with it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Birdwatcher

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
still playing around with Kuzma Stabi R.

Again with Japanese tonearms, this time Glanz and Sorane.

Not yet finally assembled, just first pics of a kind of working status.

IMG_0244.jpg IMG_0246.jpg IMG_0245.jpg

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing